Anyone else a little worried about Jim Johnson?

Flash- bd

I'm always worried when a reliever comes in but Johnson is now the best closer that the Os ever had. And he's a homegrown product.
That's overstating it (Randy Myers, Tippy Martinez, Gregg Olson...), but J.J. has been excellent.

Agreed. Also, it needs to be taken into consideration that if you go back more than 30 years or so, you're comparing apples to oranges. The role of the "closer" back when Eddie Watt, Stu Miller, Hoyt Wilhelm, etc. were pitching was broadly different than it is today.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

39 saves now. He's been on a nice roll the last 9 appearances or so even though he seems to be having a little trouble keeping his fastball down in the zone these days. He's been using his other pitches to keep hitters off balance, and it's working.

Agreed. Also, it needs to be taken into consideration that if you go back more than 30 years or so, you're comparing apples to oranges. The role of the "closer" back when Eddie Watt, Stu Miller, Hoyt Wilhelm, etc. were pitching was broadly different than it is today.

Not only that, they didn't even call them closers, and I can't remember anyone talking about "saves" in those days. From what I can remember, that changed with Fingers, Gossage, Lyle, and people like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived