Vs Tigers 7/15

SilentJames

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Coby Mayo is 22 years old, started the year in AAA, and currently is running a 1.043 OPS. At the same age, Cowser started the season in Aberdeen, where he had a .795 OPS. At the same age, Kjerstad wasn’t playing because of the myocarditis, so it’s not really fair to compare on that basis. However this year, Kjerstad’s OPS is 1.176, which is higher, but you have to remember that Kjerstad is 3 years older. In my opinion, having seen them both in Norfolk numerous times, Mayo is also better at third than Kjerstad is at RF. With respect to rankings, as SG said, everyone has Mayo in the top 30. That is not true for Kjerstad, and was not true for Cowser. I hope they all succeed, but Mayo is different. IMO, he’s the type of player you make room for.
    • Cool thread idea. I agree with Mateo here - that was such a great little display of what he brings. He really got his money's worth for that leadoff walk, and kudos to Adley for making those 2 stolen bases count. 
    • Right, way to stake a claim in your first games in a number of years.  Hes just seized that opportunity and so far won't even give them the chance to think about the next guy, really impressive.
    • I'm going to assume your "short rehab" includes the possibility he'll return to the O's without rehab at all.  If that's the case, our predictions of the outcomes are extremely close. With regard to the use of the word "guise" I'm not suggesting that he's not hurt, but the fact he is means the Orioles have an excellent excuse (and one that is probably more palatable to Hays) to keep him in the minors for a reset.
    • Obviously, he's gonna come down to earth eventually, but I like the way he looks on the mound. He has a solid, stable, balanced delivery.  Shintaro Fujinami, by contrast, always seemed precariously balanced on one leg, as if he could fall off to one side or the other at any moment. I also like the way he works up in the strike zone with the four-seam fastball and consistently is at 94 – 95 when he does. He's also getting good movement on his breaking stuff. It's nice to see him have some success, even if it ends up being fleeting, this late in his career. 
    • This thread is to call out players for whatever reason. Can include obvious heroic performances (the Cedric and Westburg walkoffs) but also random high effort or baseball IQ plays that don't stand out in the box score. I'll start with one from last night's game. April 22, Orioles 4-2 Win @LAA Several great choices from this game, including Kimbrel's K of Trout with the bases loaded to close the game, and the strong start by journeyman Suarez. However, my game ball goes to Mateo. In the 3rd, he fought to 3-2 and took a tough pitch off the plate for a leadoff walk, then stole second and third. Trailing 1-0, the Angels elected to play the infield in, resulting in Adley muscling a soft liner just over the drawn in defense. Without stealing second and third, we likely end up with nothing. So not only did Mateo's speed get himself into scoring position, he also produced a RISP hit for Adley and a run for himself.  
    • You can definitely make the case that this is a precursor to Holliday going down because you replace one left-handed bat with another. You can make the case against it, too, but it's a theory.  It's still a bit weird though since the guy Kjerstad effects most is (seemingly) Mountcastle, not Holliday. But I get what you're saying. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now