Orioles' Duquette: "Our future is now."

Greg

For a backup catcher? Absoultely. I was watching one of the Orioles Classics, game 4 of the 96 ALDS and Mark friggin Parent was our backup catcher. If you look back through our recent history, backup C has been a black hole of aging or already over the hill "catch and throw" guys.

I've gotten the impression that Teagarden has always been a guy with potential but has had trouble with injuries and that's limited his opportunities.

If he can be quasi healthy, a solid defender and provide a decent stick, he's well worth the investment, IMO. And I belive that's why DD made the move to get him.

Not so much for the value he's already provided (and that 81 OPS+ is something that you could've gotten for free with generic backup catcher "X") but you get Teagarden to maybe tap into that yet unrealized potential, which would provide value over said generic backup catcher and also allow to more often spell your AS, GG catcher that you already have.

I'll need evidence that back-up catchers age differently (and, more accurately, peak at a later age) than other players. Sorry, not buying it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This quote from the Sun makes me think we are going to stand pretty pat.

Duquette on searching for a starting pitcher: “You take a look around at the pitchers [available] in the industry and we have some pitchers with the same capabilities as those pitchers within our organization. My hope is we can get the good performances from the players we have.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-dan-duquette-talks-about-omar-quintanilla-brad-bergesen-and-trade-possibilities-20120720,0,560205.story

Duquette on searching for a starting pitcher: “You take a look around at the pitchers [available] in the industry and we have some pitchers with the same capabilities as those pitchers within our organization. My hope is we can get the good performances from the players we have.”

That's one possibility. It's also possible that this is standard GM smoke blowing during prime trading season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-dan-duquette-talks-about-omar-quintanilla-brad-bergesen-and-trade-possibilities-20120720,0,560205.story

This quote makes me feel like Dan Duquette is panicking and going to make a horrible trade at any second.:D

We're still looking around ... I'm not really interested in making a trade just to make a trade, but I'll try to do what I can to add to the ballclub," said Orioles GM Dan Duquette

I think its safe to say, that we will be not making any trades for an impact player...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/al-east-links-orioles-yankees-victorino-red-sox.html

I'll need evidence that back-up catchers age differently (and, more accurately, peak at a later age) than other players. Sorry, not buying it.

Sorry if I implied that, it wasn't what I was driving at.

Anectdotally, without looking anything up, I was saying that most of the time we (and a lot of teams for that matter) have a backup C that's in his mid to late 30's and completely lacks the ability to hit. I'd rather have a guy that's 28 and was once thought of well by baseball people, as opposed to the Sal Fasano's of the world.

I think in retrospect, considering his injury, we would all agree that keeping Hester would have worked out better.

I don't see how the O's would have been better off with Hester. He can't throw (16% caught steal rate) and he can't hit (630 OPS). So far I am more impressed with Teagarden's ability to get Wieters the rest he needs. Hester seem like the guy Buck would have never played.

I don't see how the O's would have been better off with Hester. He can't throw (16% caught steal rate) and he can't hit (630 OPS). So far I am more impressed with Teagarden's ability to get Wieters the rest he needs. Hester seem like the guy Buck would have never played.

Ok. I essentially meant that Teagarden cost us inventory and that he has been hurt all year save for ten days. If healthy, I do like him better.

Eh. We'll see. The difference is marginal, I think. And there were other options that could have been had w/o the outlay. Whether Buck chooses to play them or not is on him - the fact that he won't is a bigger issue than anything else.

Archived