Orioles' Duquette: "Our future is now."

Greg

I'm not going to comment on specific trades, but I will say that I like the aggressive stance Duquette is taking.

For far too long our leaders have simply sat on their collective thumbs and watched as disaster occurred.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to comment on specific trades, but I will say that I like the aggressive stance Duquette is taking.

For far too long our leaders have simply sat on their collective thumbs and watched as disaster occurred.

This also! If he lets the team absolutely collapse without even checking in he would get criticism for sitting on his thumbs. But if he packages together two low level prospects for a better than league average pitcher, people say hell no.

People here got the fear. They think only the greatest pitchers in the league could survive in Camden Yards in the AL East. How does that explain Chen and Hammel. Go get a veteran or two for the rotation without giving up the building blocks of the future.

With the exception of Headley or Garza OR a trade and extend what would making trades get you. You either make the playoffs, lose to a superior team, and have nothing next year in the farm to support you OR you make the trades, fail to make the playoffs, and have nothing on the farm for next year.

At some point the Orioles have to learn to develop and fine tune thier prospects or suatained winning will never happen.

After Machado and Bundy, and maybe Schoop, our farm blows. Duquette signed 3 guys under-the-radar in a couple months in Pomeranz, Socolovich, and Miguel Gonzalez that are more valuable at the major league level then pretty much anyone under our top 3. I wouldn't hesitate to add Pearce and possibly Tolleson to that list either.By the end of the season Lew Ford and Nate McLouth might join that list. If so, that's *7* guys signed from nowhere that will almost assuredly produce more in the majors this year than pretty much any prospect we have after those top 3 guys will in a career.

And let's remember - Matusz, Tillman, Britton, and Arrieta were hailed as the "calvary", the next big thing, absolutely untouchable to trade. Look what happened!

Fact is, most of our "prospects" are about as valuable as a waiver wire scrap heap guy. Why the OH places SO MUCH VALUE on long-shot spit-in-the-wind prospects is beyond me, especially when we are just 1/2 game out of the wild card. Why so willing to give up and pack it in after 14 years of losing? And these are the "smarts" on the board! Real competitive spirit guys.

DD is already on the record as stating he will not be sacrificing the future. He isn't going to gut anything for rentals. I only see a Machado or Bundy being traded for a longterm stud like Justin Upton. All the handwringing isn't necessary, imo.

I will say that the O's record for developing talent, any talent, is pretty bad. If they can ship off a Matusz, Tillman or Arrieta for a longterm, established piece then I am all for it. I don't want to give up Machado, Bundy or Schoop but, again, I don't think they are on the table.

I'm ok with making a move. It's obvious that he needs to. Half the team is injured or is playing a position they shouldn't be. Just as long as he's smart about it and doesn't do anything stupid.

After Machado and Bundy, and maybe Schoop, our farm blows. Duquette signed 3 guys under-the-radar in a couple months in Pomeranz, Socolovich, and Miguel Gonzalez that are more valuable at the major league level then pretty much anyone under our top 3. I wouldn't hesitate to add Pearce and possibly Tolleson to that list either.By the end of the season Lew Ford and Nate McLouth might join that list. If so, that's *7* guys signed from nowhere that will almost assuredly produce more in the majors this year than pretty much any prospect we have after those top 3 guys will in a career.

And let's remember - Matusz, Tillman, Britton, and Arrieta were hailed as the "calvary", the next big thing, absolutely untouchable to trade. Look what happened!

Fact is, most of our "prospects" are about as valuable as a waiver wire scrap heap guy. Why the OH places SO MUCH VALUE on long-shot spit-in-the-wind prospects is beyond me, especially when we are just 1/2 game out of the wild card. Why so willing to give up and pack it in after 14 years of losing? And these are the "smarts" on the board! Real competitive spirit guys.

At some point the Orioles organization has to learn how develop its own prospects. Certainly not all will make it, but the only path to sustained winning, short of spending 200 million a year, is building from within. And you cannot deny that teams with sustained success over the last decade in the AL (Twins, Angels, Rays, Rangers) have learned to take prospects and make them major leaguers.

Maybe it was blind faith to believe the cavalry was going to be the saving grace of this organization. But I also think one reason so many intelligent posters on OH wanted to keep these players and see them succeed as Orioles is that we all understand that the Orioles will never compete if they cant develop their own talent.

At some point the Orioles organization has to learn how develop its own prospects. Certainly not all will make it, but the only path to sustained winning, short of spending 200 million a year, is building from within. And you cannot deny that teams with sustained success over the last decade in the AL (Twins, Angels, Rays, Rangers) have learned to take prospects and make them major leaguers.

Maybe it was blind faith to believe the cavalry was going to be the saving grace of this organization. But I also think one reason so many intelligent posters on OH wanted to keep these players and see them succeed as Orioles is that we all understand that the Orioles will never compete if they cant develop their own talent.

It wasn't just Oriole fans who thought these were talented pitchers.

Matusz - rated #25 pre-2009 and #5 pre-2010 by BA.

Tilllman - rated #67 pre-2008 and #22 pre-2009 by BA.

Britton - rated #63 pre-2010 and #28 pre-2011 by BA.

Arrieta - rated #67 pre-2009 and #67 pre-2010 by BA.

How can it possibly be that not one of those guys has produced?

It wasn't just Oriole fans who thought these were talented pitchers.

Matusz - rated #25 pre-2009 and #5 pre-2010 by BA.

Tilllman - rated #67 pre-2008 and #22 pre-2009 by BA.

Britton - rated #63 pre-2010 and #28 pre-2011 by BA.

Arrieta - rated #67 pre-2009 and #67 pre-2010 by BA.

How can it possibly be that not one of those guys has produced?

They got drafted by the wrong organization.

Sounds a lot like a guy who is willing to roll the dice. Probably way overpays for rentals and we collapse anyway and they walk at the end of the season or next season and we have zero for it.

I agree 100%. The chance of Duquette screwing up is enormous. Personally, I think he is as clueless as they come. In fact, I'm starting to feel the same about Showalter. And we already know that Angelos has his head in the sand. The truth is, we are already done this year....the team is in free-fall and no trade is going to save it. So, rather than trying to salvage this year with futile trades for rental players,, and in the process forfeit the future, we should be making trades for the best near ML-ready prospects we can get.

Archived