Pirates and Orioles "among the teams pushing hardest for Headley"

MrOrange82

According to this story in the SD Union-Tribune. Of note from that article:

Among the teams pushing hardest for Headley are the Pittsburgh Pirates (Headley has a .333 batting average at PNC Park in Pittsburgh) and the Baltimore Orioles. But the list of candidates ranges from the Dodgers and Diamondbacks from the National League West to the rebuilding Seattle Mariners.

The Padres are in position to ask a lot for Headley. Third base is a down position around the major leagues and most contenders would like to improve at the spot. Headley is hitting .268 with 10 homers and 46 RBI. He is hitting .279 with eight homers and 26 RBI in 46 games away from Petco Park.

If the Padres trade Headley now, they could expect to get at least two top prospects in return. If they wait to trade him until after the season, they likely would receive a major league player plus a prospect. No contending team trading at the deadline is going to give up a proven major league player.

I make no warranties as to the accuracy of the opinions expressed in the article. If "two top prospects" is really the asking price, though, you have to wonder whether the Orioles match up. Seems to me they either have prospects who're "too good" for Headley (i.e., Machado/Bundy), or who...simply aren't good enough. Obviously, the only other "ranked" guy in the Orioles' system is Schoop.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to this story in the SD Union-Tribune. Of note from that article:

I make no warranties as to the accuracy of the opinions expressed in the article. If "two top prospects" is really the asking price, though, you have to wonder whether the Orioles match up. Seems to me they either have prospects who're "too good" for Headley (i.e., Machado/Bundy), or who...simply aren't good enough. Obviously, the only other "ranked" guy in the Orioles' system is Schoop.

Would you do Arrieta, Schoop, and Delmonico? Would the Padres?

Would you do Arrieta, Schoop, and Delmonico? Would the Padres?

I'd put the stamp/postage on Arrieta's hat myself. But I don't like the idea of sending Schoop AND Delmonico to SD for a player whose value is (1) wrapped up in the idea that his performance will spike somewhat significantly away from Petco, and (2) tied to an apparently-voracious (i.e., weak) market for 3B. Granted, even the numbers he's put up (offensively and defensively) for SD would be a significant step-up for the O's at 3B, but that's a lot to trade away for a step-up.

I'd put the stamp/postage on Arrieta's hat myself. But I don't like the idea of sending Schoop AND Delmonico to SD for a player whose value is (1) wrapped up in the idea that his performance will spike somewhat significantly away from Petco, and (2) tied to an apparently-voracious (i.e., weak) market for 3B. Granted, even the numbers he's put up (offensively and defensively) for SD would be a significant step-up for the O's at 3B, but that's a lot to trade away for a step-up.

This pretty much sums up my answer.

Luckily, his performance has spiked significantly away from PETCO. 664 OPS at home and 815 OPS away, both with a robust 1200-1300 plate appearances.

Headley would make a much bigger impact on the team than any other person on the market that they have a reasonable shot at getting. Let's face it, they aren't trading for Greinke or Hamels and they aren't getting Garza either. Headley would fix the black hole that is 3B and would also be here for another 2 years. He has been one of the best 3b in the league this season and that is with all those home games at Petco. Look at todays game and how Betemit cost Chen a run and a bunch of pitches in the first inning even though it wasn't an error. How many times have we seen this at 3B this season? It's unbelievable how many times the defense at 3B cost a pitcher pitches and runs. He would fix the defensive problems at 3B and is also an upgrade offensively.

Luckily, his performance has spiked significantly away from PETCO. 664 OPS at home and 815 OPS away, both with a robust 1200-1300 plate appearances.

If you actually looked at his park-by-park splits, you'd notice that he's not a consistent ".815"-guy everywhere that he plays that isn't Petco. In parks at which he's recorded at least 40 AB's, his OPS ranges from .611 at the low end (ATL) to 1.002 at the high end (PIT). He's hit well (extremely, extremely small sample) in a few AL ballparks, but he's only played in seven such parks. All 14 AB's or fewer.

Acting as though he's close to a sure thing because he's averaged, generally speaking, a higher OPS on the road paints a very incomplete picture.

I'll say this. I sat directly behind home plate this past Sunday at Dodger stadium, and got a good look at Headley. He had a couple base hits and is bigger than I expected up close. The first ball hit to him at 3rd base though, he booted. I thought it was funny, especially since I had already shouted to him (I was literally in the front row right behind the plate and just left of the visitors on deck circle) that he'd look great in an Orioles uniform. That was his only error of the game with a handful of chances. Haven't seen him on many other occasions, but he would definitely be a nice upgrade.

I'd LOVE to have a real 3b. It'd be the first real 3b we'd have since Mora's prime year almost a decade ago. He would put up great stats in CY and he'd improve the defense tremendously. What's not to love about it? I'd trade Matusz or Arrieta in a heartbeat but I wouldn't want to give up Schoop. Maybe they'd rather have Avery, a relief pitcher like O'day or Lindstrom as well and heck, let's throw in Flaherty too while we are at it.

But if we absolutely HAVE to give up Schoop as well, I'd STILL do it, simply because I love what Headley could bring to this team by improving it in ALL areas, not just defense and not just hitting. Getting out of Petco would be huge for him.

And quite frankly, I think we make by far the most sense for him. The Pirates have TWO third baseman already! Pedro Alvarez has been heating up big time at the dish and Case Mcgehee has as well. He plays first but he absolutely has the capability to play third as well, so a trade to the Pirates doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I think we are his most likely destination if the asking price isn't TOO high and we should all LOVE to have him.

If you actually looked at his park-by-park splits, you'd notice that he's not a consistent ".815"-guy everywhere that he plays that isn't Petco. In parks at which he's recorded at least 40 AB's, his OPS ranges from .611 at the low end (ATL) to 1.002 at the high end (PIT). He's hit well (extremely, extremely small sample) in a few AL ballparks, but he's only played in seven such parks. All 14 AB's or fewer.

Acting as though he's close to a sure thing because he's averaged, generally speaking, a higher OPS on the road paints a very incomplete picture.

At least 40 at-bats? None of those sample sizes approach the meaningfulness of his general home/away splits, and most of them have no meaning at all.

If the Pirates want Headley, why don't we just go for Pedro Alvarez. I still feel confident he could put things together. The dude has a TON of power. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery…

That being said, I'm not sure why the Pirates are looking at getting Headley, either. Is he that much of an upgrade over Alvarez? Maybe it is one of those, "this guy kills us, let's just put him on our team" kinda deals.

You know Schoop is just blasting the ball the last month. Makes me think he might be closer to the majors than we might of thought at the start of this year.

I dont want to give up Schoop. I would rather give them Matusz. Wouldnt he like to pitch in a big park and play in Southern California?

We won't get Headley without giving up Schoop. The question is what else we would have to give up.

I think of Headley as Melvin Mora in an average year. Solid all-around game, might be an all-star in his best 1-2 seasons. Is that a fair comp?

I'll say this. I sat directly behind home plate this past Sunday at Dodger stadium, and got a good look at Headley. He had a couple base hits and is bigger than I expected up close. The first ball hit to him at 3rd base though, he booted. I thought it was funny, especially since I had already shouted to him (I was literally in the front row right behind the plate and just left of the visitors on deck circle) that he'd look great in an Orioles uniform. That was his only error of the game with a handful of chances. Haven't seen him on many other occasions, but he would definitely be a nice upgrade.

Ha!...seems like he was doing his best to show you he can play like an Oriole too!!

Archived