Possible Cubs/O's trade brewing?

Dark Helmet

I would NOT do this, and I wouldn't if I was the Cubs either.

I like Dempster less than most, and I like Reynolds more than most. Strop and Flaherty are not irreplaceable losses by any means but I see value in both of them.

All we get from this trade is two months of one good SP and two years of a decent but fading hitter who will wind up being our own problem we're trying to trade away next summer when he's hitting no better than Betemit while taking up possible ABs from the likes of Avery and Hoes.

For those saying that the O's would be crazy to turn this down, I do agree that this trade would probably gain us a win or two this year. But let's remember that just last year in 2011, Dempster + Soriano = 0.2 WAR, while Reynolds + Strop = 1.3 WAR. I'm not trying to use WAR as a predictor or say that these players are going to suddenly revert to their 2011 form, but this is far from a slam dunk decision in the O's favor.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm calling shenanigans on this one...

No reason the cubs would take Reynolds unless they're doing favors, which I doubt very much.

Plus, I like the idea of holding on to Strop and trying him out at closer next year so JJohnson can move to the rotation ;)

Uh, how is taking Reynolds doing us a favor? There's virtually no commitment in $ after this year. Taking Soriano, now that's a favor. Not because he's complete garbage or anything, but just how much he's owed... he doesn't produce like that cailbre of player and isn't going to get any better.

The LAD's soured on Dempster because the Cubs were asking too much in prospects. Do you honestly think the Cubs would turn around and let him go for Strop and Flaherty? Ridiculous. The Braves could get him with one of Mimor, Delgado, or Vizcaino, but who do we have like that? Plus Dempster doesn't want to come to the AL, and has a NTC. If the Cubs cant't get value foer Dempster, they can offer arbitration and sign him or let him walk for picks.

Uh, how is taking Reynolds doing us a favor? There's virtually no commitment in $ after this year. Taking Soriano, now that's a favor. Not because he's complete garbage or anything, but just how much he's owed... he doesn't produce like that cailbre of player and isn't going to get any better.
The Cubs have to pay most of Soriano's salary or they simply can't move him.

Funny stuff. The only reason the Cubs would package Dempster and Soriano was if they 1) Didn't have to send much cash along with Soriano 2) or they do send cash and get some prospects.

This trade has them getting back a player (Reynolds) who has underperformed and has an expensive option for next year, a player (Flaherty) the Cubs let go for nothing 7 months ago, and a setup reliever (Strop). Sounds like pure speculation to me and a terrible PR and baseball move by the Cubs unless the O's were picking up a ton of Soriano's salary.

Well, Reynolds has a 500,000 buyout. Which would be cheaper. Then they could offer arb and sign him to a cheapere deal and put him back at 3b or try him in lf. Either way they'd have shed Sorianos 35 million. Also they wanted Bard from the sox in a deal for Garza. So wanting Strop for a 2 month rental in Dempster is not out of the realm of possibility.

Totally agree... this is pure garbage.

It doesn't do anything to help the team in 2013-2014

None of the players we would give up are likely to help the team that much in 2013-2014.

None of the players we would give up are likely to help the team that much in 2013-2014.

The Orioles certainly wouldn't be giving up a kings ransom... but Strop (and even Flaherty) are not garbage. They actually have some value and significant potential. Why throw it away for a one night stand?

If I'm putting Strop in a trade, I'm getting something back better than a rental and a salary dump.

Agreed, Dempster plans to re-sign with CHC in 2013 and Soriano had a couple bad seasons before producing this season. CHC would have to pay Soriano's entire salary before I woud consider it. And if you think Davis is bad in LF, wait until you see Soriano play LF.

The Orioles certainly wouldn't be giving up a kings ransom... but Strop (and even Flaherty) are not garbage. They actually have some value and significant potential. Why throw it away for a one night stand?

Unless your that fat kid in school (Orioles ) who dreams of that one night stand being with the prom queen (playoffs). Look , id hate to lose Strop. But id much rather have this trade then Schoop,Hoes ,Strop, and Matusz for Headley.

Archived