Possible Cubs/O's trade brewing?

Dark Helmet

Unless your that fat kid in school (Orioles ) who dreams of that one night stand being with the prom queen (playoffs). Look , id hate to lose Strop. But id much rather have this trade then Schoop,Hoes ,Strop, and Matusz for Headley.

Why not work hard at losing some weight, gaining some muscle and wait a few years until college to go after the really hot girl... when you're actually ready and when you have a real shot.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this thread amusing. It seems that we, Orioles fans, so often way overvalue our players. Just a few days ago, I saw people saying: Trade the whole team. This team sucks. We have no actual talent. Trade Wieters, trade Jones - they all pretty much suck.

Now we're appalled at the idea of giving up such stellar, universally valued talents as Flaherty (who I had never heard of before we got him), Reynolds (who is beyond flawed) and Strop, who was a PTBNL in a trade for... Michael Gonzalez?

From where I'm sitting, this trade looks lopsided in the Orioles favor, if it's even under consideration by anyone who matters in the baseball world. Of course, we have dozens of players with limitless "potential"... that's the story of our lives these past 15 years. Potential. How about players who have actually done something? Those are the kinds of guys I'm more interested in right about now.

Why not work hard at losing some weight, gaining some muscle and wait a few years until college to go after the really hot girl... when you're actually ready and when you have a real shot.

And you could get some practice now, and when that really hot girl comes along you know what your doing. Its not like giving up Strop is mortgaging the future.

I find this thread amusing. It seems that we, Orioles fans, so often way overvalue our players. Just a few days ago, I saw people saying: Trade the whole team. This team sucks. We have no actual talent. Trade Wieters, trade Jones - they all pretty much suck.

Now we're appalled at the idea of giving up such stellar, universally valued talents as Flaherty (who I had never heard of before we got him), Reynolds (who is beyond flawed) and Strop, who was a PTBNL in a trade for... Michael Gonzalez?

From where I'm sitting, this trade looks lopsided in the Orioles favor, if it's even under consideration by anyone who matters in the baseball world. Of course, we have dozens of players with limitless "potential"... that's the story of our lives these past 15 years. Potential. How about players who have actually done something? Those are the kinds of guys I'm more interested in right about now.

It's not that those guys are so valuable. It's that what comes back means getting saddled with tens of millions of dollars in commitment to Soriano, plus one year of a 36yo SP. Is it a terrible trade? Not really, but it's definitely an "all-in" kind of move. Taking on money, giving up a strong young reliever.

Doesn't dempster have 10 and 5 rights. If he does cant see him waiving it to come to the al east. He's going to be a free agent at end of year think he'd rather stay in national league where his statistics would look better heading into free agency just my two cents. With atl wash stl and lad all still trying to get him i'd think he'd push for a trade to one of those teams.

Soriano isn't what he used to be but he's still playing pretty good for his age. Yes he's overpaid and not worth what he's getting but I would have no problem for a trade like this. Even though I don't think Dempster will have as much success this season with us as he has had with the Cubs this year. Still should be solid though, especially in our rotation.

This trade would improve the Orioles and Reynolds may rebound to his former hitting ways returning to the NL. I think there would be more players in this deal. I've seen Soriano hit some long HR's at OP and the balls have been flying out of OP as the temperture got hotter. I don't think he would be platooned in LF and having him hit 3rd, with Jones 4th and Thome 5th, Davis 6th and Wieters 7th would look good. We would still have plenty left to deal for Headley.

Wait.. so we would get rid of The Sheriff (Mark Reynolds) and Crooked-Hat (Strop) for a rental (Dempster) and perhaps a worse/on-par guy *according to OH's gospel* (Soriano) ? Not a trade I'd be a fan of. Matt Garza on the other hand and I wouldn't be so upset about losing The Sheriff and Crooked Hat.

Doesn't dempster have 10 and 5 rights. If he does cant see him waiving it to come to the al east. He's going to be a free agent at end of year think he'd rather stay in national league where his statistics would look better heading into free agency just my two cents. With atl wash stl and lad all still trying to get him i'd think he'd push for a trade to one of those teams.

Well one condition for Dempster to waive his 10-5 rights would be for the O's to sign him to an extension. Not sure id want to do that. He'd probably want a 3 year deal.

Unless your that fat kid in school (Orioles ) who dreams of that one night stand being with the prom queen (playoffs). Look , id hate to lose Strop. But id much rather have this trade then Schoop,Hoes ,Strop, and Matusz for Headley.

So, DH, can you tell us more about your summer vacation trip to Straw Man Island?

Agree.

I like Strop alot. And the O's love Flaherty.

Curious to see what Flaherty can do with consistent at bats, he's been playing well lately. I don't think anyone would peg him for a superstar, but he can be a solid contributor.

Love Strop, glad to have a guy like that in our bullpen.

We don't need older vets, we just picked one up in Thome...we still need guys that will be able to contribute for a few seasons to come. I hope if DD swings a trade or two, he has that focus in mind. Soriano and Dempster won't be contributors for the long haul.

Curious to see what Flaherty can do with consistent at bats, he's been playing well lately. I don't think anyone would peg him for a superstar, but he can be a solid contributor.

Love Strop, glad to have a guy like that in our bullpen.

We don't need older vets, we just picked one up in Thome...we still need guys that will be able to contribute for a few seasons to come. I hope if DD swings a trade or two, he has that focus in mind. Soriano and Dempster won't be contributors for the long haul.

Agreed.

Archived