Possible Tejada scenario?

Sports Guy

Nope. You said we should ask for Lackey & Wood. Lackey is probably rated ahead of Bedard based on back to back good seasons and proven durability. You could make a case that it's pretty close. Markakis & Wood are also close, IMO. Wood was/is the more highly rated prospect while Markakis has proven himself at the ML level. I'd call Lackey/Wood for Tejada virtually the same as asking for Bedard/Markakis. I don't think anyone here would go for that and I don't think there's anyway the Angels would go for the former. I think some of the demands for Tejada for the most part, are unreasonable to expect.

It's more relative than that. It's about knowing the other team's situation as well as your own. Tejada may very well be the last piece needed for them. Colon, Weaver, Escobar and Santana (or Lackey), are all still in place. Wood becomes blocked, at least at short.

IF we had the Angels rotation, and if Tejada was the last piece of the puzzle. I surely might.

So I'll ask you a simliar question - If our rotation was Bedard, Weaver, Colon, Santana, and Escobar, with more good arms waiting in the wings, would you trade Bedard and Markakis for Vlad? Would you trade Bedard and Reimold (let's say his numbers were as good as Wood's) for Vlad? Knowing that you'd have a great lineup and a VERY solid rotation...you'd have to consider it ...right??

You only have one player of Miggy's caliber. If you trade him - you do it very carefully.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point on the relativity. If I were the Angels I'd look into the many other options if that were the price for Tejada. If Tejada was the only player available, I'd consider it. Of course, you trade Tejada very carefully, but he's been on the market two differnet times, and guess what. No team has made an offer that satisfies both the O's or most of their fans. Why? Because, IMO, you are waiting for the perfect storm. Do you think Tejada's value will get higher or lower over the next year or two? The time to strike is now, before it gets lower. IMO, it's doubtufl to get any higher.

Good post.

Plus, with it being the offseason, teams are more likely to give up more than they were at the deadline...Positonal talent normally always gets more in the offseason than the deadline.

And they were going to turn Oswalt into Milledge & somebody else (I can't remember).

So which package do you like better for the present and the future.

Adam Everett

Morgan Ensberg

Lastings Milledge

??

or

Ervin Santana

Erick Aybar

I could see someone liking the Houston deal better but I still think I prefer the Angels deal. Milledge & Aybar are comparable with the slight edge to Milledge but I don't think any team would trade Ervin Santana for Ensberg & Everett. I could be wrong.

No doubt the Angels package is better..We get the replacement for Miggy(a good one) and the top of the rotation guy we need.

We can get Ensberg in another deal.

Good post.

Plus, with it being the offseason, teams are more likely to give up more than they were at the deadline...Positonal talent normally always gets more in the offseason than the deadline.

Normally always?:confused::D

Yes, it normally gets more, and most teams that would want Miggy would offer more now, but I don't see the Angels as being one of those teams. They were desperate for Miggy at the trade deadline, I doubt they'll be anymore desperate during the offseason. Plus, he had 3+ years left then, so it would have been a move to help push them into the playoffs along with a move for the next 3 years. Now it's just a move to help them win the next 3 years. Free agency and AROD are also more desirable options now.

And they were going to turn Oswalt into Milledge & somebody else (I can't remember).

So which package do you like better for the present and the future.

Adam Everett

Morgan Ensberg

Lastings Milledge

??

or

Ervin Santana

Erick Aybar

I could see someone liking the Houston deal better but I still think I prefer the Angels deal. Milledge & Aybar are comparable with the slight edge to Milledge but I don't think any team would trade Ervin Santana for Ensberg & Everett. I could be wrong.

Well I like the Houston deal quite a bit as is, not as much with the follow up trade. Was that a for sure thing? And I don't recall the other guy either, so that's an important part.

It was also reported that we could have had Berkman. So replace Oswalt with Berkman and the trade might look better depending on your point of view.

Yes, it normally gets more, and most teams that would want Miggy would offer more now, but I don't see the Angels as being one of those teams. They were desperate for Miggy at the trade deadline, I doubt they'll be anymore desperate during the offseason. Plus, he had 3+ years left then, so it would have been a move to help push them into the playoffs along with a move for the next 3 years. Now it's just a move to help them win the next 3 years. Free agency and AROD are also more desirable options now.

Well it depends...Does AROD waive his NTC and if he does, will he waive it to go Anaheim? Will ARam get to FA and if he does and the Yanks trade AROd, any chance he doesn't go to NY, where he wants to go?'

Do they want Soriano and are reports true that he wants to stay in the NL?

I don't think it is a slam dunk they won't be desperate for him but i admit that AROD and ARam are more desirable for them and maybe Soriano is as well(i don't know what they are willing to give him).

Well I like the Houston deal quite a bit as is, not as much with the follow up trade. Was that a for sure thing? And I don't recall the other guy either, so that's an important part.

It was also reported that we could have had Berkman. So replace Oswalt with Berkman and the trade might look better depending on your point of view.

Was that even said? I thought it was said that it would be Milledge and 2 prospects. So, were they very good prospects or were they Finch-type prospects?

Well it depends...Does AROD waive his NTC and if he does, will he waive it to go Anaheim? Will ARam get to FA and if he does and the Yanks trade AROd, any chance he doesn't go to NY, where he wants to go?'

I don't think it is a slam dunk they won't be desperate for him but i admit that AROD and ARam are more desirable for them and maybe Soriano is as well(i don't know what they are willing to give him).

The Angels tried to trade for Carlos Lee before they moved onto Miggy. So he's also a possibility. I would think Soriano would be more desirable as well. And lets not discount the possibility that they go get a guy like Burrell or Ensberg and call that their big bat. One more name I'll throw out there for a big bat: Barry Bonds. Not saying it's likely, but it wouldn't shock me.

There were two different rumors. The most consistent part was the three players from the Astros for Tejada. Oswalt, Ensberg, & Everett. The second part is less consistent. One rumor was Oswalt being spun off to the Mets for Milledge & Heilman. The other was Oswalt to the Rangers for Blaylock, young shorstop Joaquin Arias, and an unnamed pitching prospect. Tejada for Ensberg, Everett, Milledge, & Heilman would certainly make me stop and think. Tejada for Ensberg, Everett, Blaylock, Arias, and a prospect seems less desirable even if it's their best pitching prospect. The Ranger rumor is supposedly the one which made the Astros get cold feet about including Oswalt in any deal. Who knows.

The Rangers part doesn't look that good since I think Blaylock is very overrated. If it was Milledge and Heilman, that is quite good. But again, I would have actually been interested in keeping Oswalt. Or if Berkman was an option instead, would have also liked that.

The Angels tried to trade for Carlos Lee before they moved onto Miggy. So he's also a possibility. I would think Soriano would be more desirable as well. And lets not discount the possibility that they go get a guy like Burrell or Ensberg and call that their big bat. One more name I'll throw out there for a big bat: Barry Bonds. Not saying it's likely, but it wouldn't shock me.

I think they will get 2 big bats.

I think they will get 2 big bats.

I hope they take that approach. If they were smart though they'd make a commitment to the boatload of talent they've got and end up being the team to beat for years to come.

I'd only get one big bat if I was Stoneman and make sure Kendrick and Wood find their way into the lineup as regulars at somepoint in 2007.

Starting pitching is last on the priority list and trading Tejada would weaken an area that already needs improved. I'm hearing we'll make another push for Burrell this winter. If Tejada get traded we'll want three solid major league players not 2 unproven suspects in the deal.

Bigbird, I'm afraid you are absolutely right about SP. Why NOT sign a guy for 3 years? If pitchers in the minors are ready to come up, TRADE the free agent guy. A solid pitcher would fetch us a good return. I don't understand this hesitancy to sign people for longer contracts. This organization seems to only want stopgaps that won't ask for much money. How many more of these clowns do we have to sign before seeing reality? We don't have that much to trade; we should be trading for hitters, signing pitchers. More bang for the buck.

Sports Guy, I like Lackey too, but he's almost at free agency, so I can't go fir him. And I do agree that Aybar and Kotchman are questionable.No way I trade Tejada for those 3 guys.For me, it's Ervin Santana and either Shields or Aybar and another prospect.

I continue to think Englebert and Ensberg, or whatever their names are, aern't worth diddly-and certainly not worth Miguel Tejada. The SS can't hit a lick and the third baseman's had ONE good season in his entire 6 or 7 year career.

I would prefer Ensberg to Tejada. He's cheaper, will give me similar power numbers, wants to play 3B, and has a record of bieing a good defensive 3B.

Archived