Possible Tejada scenario?

Sports Guy

Oh, so you are saying there are guys we can replace Tejada's production with?

Ensberg...118 OPS+

I'm not saying Tejada is untradeable. If I was offered Oswalt, Ensberg, Everett I would have been all over that deal.
So maybe Tejada's not a superstar?
I thought we were talking about this year, specifically, the Tigers, "Who's their superstar? They did it with young pitching. Guys like Ervin Santana" All I did was point out Guillen had a better season. In other words, it was more than just the pitching as you imply. The Tigers had four guys with a better ERA+ than Santana's 102: Bonderman (111), Rogers (118), Robertson (118), Verlander (124).

If you want to turn it around into a discussion of what is a superstar, I wouldn't put Tejada in the same category as guys who I do consider to be superstars such as Pujols, ARod, Ramirez.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tigers' success only leads me to the conclusion that we don't need Tejada to compete. The only problem I have is that I don't think our owner has the intestinal fortitude to let the FO deal Tejada for young players.

I don't know, but it sure seems to me if we could somehow acquire a pitcher who could be a 2 or 3 in our rotation, and positional players that could play SS and 1B for us for the next 10 years, you'd have to look at it.

I guess my big hangup now is that I would deal anyone of value on this team right now. I'm ready for new faces everywhere. The only guys on this team that I would be disappointed in losing would be Loewen and Markakis...and that's about it.

LOL..I find it funny that you bash me talking about Burrell, yet you have said the Orioles will go after him again and if he doesn't come here, i go after Geoff Jenkins, who had a bad year last year but has been as good or a better offensive player than Carlos Lee for much of his career, plus he is much better defensively. We could get him for peanuts.

I said Benson for Ensberg. The Stros are looking at possibly losing 2 starters...They will need to add someone.

I know you have mentioned him before, and Duquette said they'd like to find another Patterson-like deal...so he may be a target.

I know we may not deal Tejada but i was thinking about a scenario that could work.

We know the Angels and White Sox have been after Tejada. We also know that the Angels and White Sox have alot of team needs.

There are rumors that Ozzie loves Figgins and that a Figgins/Crede swap is possible. Guillen is also apparently not a fan of Uribe, so a change in SS is possible.

We also know that the Sox are looking to deal one of their starters and need BP help. So, here is what i propose:

White Sox trade Crede and F Garcia/Garland/Contreras for Donnelly, OCab and Figgins.

We then trade Tejada, Gibbons and 5 million for Lackey, Aybar and Kotchman.

Possible???

Don't see the Angels doing that. Giving up Lackey instead of Santana and giving up Kotchman is not worth Gibbons and 5 million dollars. The 5 million is not that important to the Angels, it's not like we're dealing with a team that is overly concerned with money here.

I know you have mentioned him before, and Duquette said they'd like to find another Patterson-like deal...so he may be a target.

My fear is that this team has gotten to the point (maybe it has been at the point for some time) wherein it will only go after "Patterson-like" deals. :(

Carlos Guillen, OPS+ 137. He had a higher OBP and SLG than Tejada.

And I would have been all over a deal that included Guillen and a top prospect or two for Tejada. That may have been possible, it was rumored.

I think I would go out and quickly add players and then once his production is replaced, trade him away. You will have to blow some people away at the onset of free agency, but it would be a lot easier than trading Tejada and then trying to sign big name players.

Personally, I think we can compete with Tejada or without Tejada. Just upgrade the talent the talent level of this team. If we want to rebuild, start by trading Tejada and then everybody else.

However, I am definitely hestitant to trade Tejada and then have the team realize that they don't have what it takes to actually replace his production, while refusing to actually go into a rebuilding mode.

If you can get Burrell over here one way or another and trade for Ensberg, I do think you can really afford to pull the trigger on Tejada.

And I do think that is realistic.

Ensberg, Burrell, Santana, Aybar

Ensberg, Burrell, Tejada

Both choices sound fine, but I will say if you trade Tejada, the money you save by trading him MUST be used. I also want to say...this kind of leads me to Mora's contract. You could trade Tejada, add Ensberg, and then use the money from the Tejada trade to at least go all out for Soriano or Lee, or make good offers to Dellucci or Catalanotto but with Mora around, and with the money he is making, he is considered an everyday starter by the FO.

Sorry we disagree but we need more players like Tejada to beat Boston and NY, not suspects who can't contribute of one of baseballs most anemic offenses.

APPLAUSE.... dont back down BB... I think you have it right... there maybe some difference in perspective here that creates the difference in direction... I think BB and I and many others, want to comepete NOW, not 3 years from now.. and even with prospects and young guys, competing 3 years from now isn't a given... the Yanks and Redsox etc will constantly be trying to improve along the way as well... so unless they make some huge mistakes.. we have alot to overcome.. I prefer we continue to make half-a$$ decisions and continue to falter so this fan base will stay angry and continue to do something to TRY and get some real change. If we make trades for young guys that show promise down the road, that could temper the current fan frustration for awhile... I don't prefer that option..

APPLAUSE.... dont back down BB... I think you have it right... there maybe some difference in perspective here that creates the difference in direction... I think BB and I and many others, want to comepete NOW, not 3 years from now.. and even with prospects and young guys, competing 3 years from now isn't a given... the Yanks and Redsox etc will constantly be trying to improve along the way as well... so unless they make some huge mistakes.. we have alot to overcome..

If you get prospects that are ready it doesn't take 3 years. We need quantity of quality more than 1 stud SS. The biggest fear I have is that the team thinks they can compete now and goes out and makes some stupid signings to make a huge splash. We could make a lot of moves that make the fanbase appreciative only to finish in 3rd or 4th place again. Then when the young pitching has developed into a playoff caliber staff we can't improve enough in other area because we went build via the albatross contract route this offseason.

If you get prospects that are ready it doesn't take 3 years. We need quantity of quality more than 1 stud SS. The biggest fear I have is that the team thinks they can compete now and goes out and makes some stupid signings to make a huge splash. We could make a lot of moves that make the fanbase appreciative only to finish in 3rd or 4th place again. Then when the young pitching has developed into a playoff caliber staff we can't improve enough in other area because we went build via the albatross contract route this offseason.

I prefer that to starting over... sounds like Angelos speak...any excuse not to invest into this team... we have the resources to fill the holes we have.. if ownership continues to try to win on the cheap, I am not going to support it.. to me, trading Tejada to get younger and possibly better is giving up on contending anytime soon and supports winning on the cheap. I would agree with your point if the FO signs Soriano for 6 years at $16 per, or similar type signings.. but that doesn't have to happen... we don't need to trade Tejada to compete now.. we need to add 3-4 pieces..

I prefer that to starting over... sounds like Angelos speak...any excuse not to invest into this team... we have the resources to fill the holes we have.. if ownership continues to try to win on the cheap, I am not going to support it.. to me, trading Tejada to get younger and possibly better is giving up on contending anytime soon and supports winning on the cheap. I would agree with your point if the FO signs Soriano for 6 years at $16 per, or similar type signings.. but that doesn't have to happen... we don't need to trade Tejada to compete now.. we need to add 3-4 pieces..

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we must trade Tejada. I just think it's the quickest way to get from where the team is at now to one that is a legitimate contender. However, what three of four pieces can we add that will make us a legitimate contender in 2007?

I still believe Loewen, DCab and Penn are going to be above average major league starting pitching with Loewen and DCab maybe developing into the truly special pitcher category. I just don't thik there is any chance that they'll all develop quick enough to legitimately contend in 2007. Obviously I hope I'll be proven wrong but I don't think I will be. If I am right, wouldn't it be better to plug 2 or 3 high potential prospects in the lineup in 2008 to get some experience and be ready to make a major push in 2007? Add some new life, energy and excitement to a team that is somewhat listless. Let's play it like it's 1989 all over again.

APPLAUSE.... dont back down BB... I think you have it right... there maybe some difference in perspective here that creates the difference in direction... I think BB and I and many others, want to comepete NOW, not 3 years from now.. and even with prospects and young guys, competing 3 years from now isn't a given... the Yanks and Redsox etc will constantly be trying to improve along the way as well... so unless they make some huge mistakes.. we have alot to overcome.. I prefer we continue to make half-a$$ decisions and continue to falter so this fan base will stay angry and continue to do something to TRY and get some real change. If we make trades for young guys that show promise down the road, that could temper the current fan frustration for awhile... I don't prefer that option..

And what BB and many others fail to realize is that you can contend without Tejada.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we must trade Tejada. I just think it's the quickest way to get from where the team is at now to one that is a legitimate contender. However, what three of four pieces can we add that will make us a legitimate contender in 2007?

I still believe Loewen, DCab and Penn are going to be above average major league starting pitching with Loewen and DCab maybe developing into the truly special pitcher category. I just don't thik there is any chance that they'll all develop quick enough to legitimately contend in 2007. Obviously I hope I'll be proven wrong but I don't think I will be. If I am right, wouldn't it be better to plug 2 or 3 high potential prospects in the lineup in 2007 to get some experience and be ready to make a major push in 2007? Add some new life, energy and excitement to a team that is somewhat listless. Let's play it like it's 1989 all over again.

Trade for Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan at 1B

All of these guys show some promise and would be cheap

Sign CLee $13-15 mil for LF or Trade for Ensberg and put Mora in LF

Have to add a big bat and OBP

Trade for Burrell for DH, if he will not come sign Sheffield/Thomas or platton Marrero/Gibbons

Again, a power bat with OBP

Sign Mussina if 2@20 will get him, If we get Mussina, sign one of Lilly/Meche/Padilla/Armas Jr/Estes w/o Mussina, sign 2.

Use extra pitching after FA signings to get Burrell, Ensberg, and Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan

Depending on whether Benson and Gibbons are part of trades, that would be adding between $30-40 mil in payroll. And we would having something like:

2b Roberts

Rf Markakis

ss Tejada

LF Lee

C Hernandez

3b Mora

dh Burrell/ Gibbons/Marrero Sheffield/Thomas

1b Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan

cf CPat

Or

2b Roberts

Rf Markakis