Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki

Greg

The fact that you're still making an argument based on Gold Gloves is silly...

That's great that you mentioned the Fielding Bible. I also mentioned that Ichiro had a bad year defensively. There was no reason for him to win any fielding awards last year. Again, that's one random season. One season doesn't make you bad or good at anything.

It's funny because he WILL win awards this year.

Look at facts, not awards that don't tell you anything. The FACT is that he's by and far the best fielder in baseball so far this season. But yeah, his age really showed up last year.

Half a season of UZR doesn't mean what you're saying it does.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the rich get richer?

I wouldn't necessarily call it "the rich get richer" if only because this is a trade and the Yanks are having to give something up, rather then money, to get him. Although I suppose that few teams other then the Yankees would be willing to take on his contract at this point, even for just the rest of this year. I have no idea if there is any money changing hands in this deal. Also, Ichiro is a "5 and 10" guy and the Yankees are one of the few teams, I'm guessing, that he would have accepted a deal to.

That being said, I like this deal for the Yankees. I think you put Ichiro in that lineup where guys are always on base and he could have, at best, a resurgence but at the least, with the type of contact he makes (and I'm aware he might not make as consistent contact as in years past), he'll be another dangerous hitter in that lineup and fills the void left by Gardner pretty well, I think.

The fact that you're still making an argument based on Gold Gloves is silly...

That's great that you mentioned the Fielding Bible. I also mentioned that Ichiro had a bad year defensively. There was no reason for him to win any fielding awards last year. Again, that's one random season. One season doesn't make you bad or good at anything.

It's funny because he WILL win awards this year.

Look at facts, not awards that don't tell you anything. The FACT is that he's by and far the best fielder in baseball so far this season. But yeah, his age really showed up last year.

Not basing it on GG, I just tossed that in after checking the FB. Including it doesn't weaken the argument even if it doesn't do much to strengthen it. I think you are putting a bit too much value on a partial season UZR rating.

Half a season of UZR doesn't mean what you're saying it does.

Obviously you can't go solely off of a half a season. UZR needs at least 3+ seasons. But he's also going off a super small sample size, and going off irrelevant awards and not looking at the full picture.

A half a season of UZR doesn't mean a lot, but a full career does. Ichiro put up a 15 UZR just two years ago, and has had one UZR under 4.9 in his whole career. It just happened to be last year. It happens. It's an anomaly. It's clearly not age if he's back to his old level once again.

Are you telling me that Ichiro is a sub 5 UZR type of a fielder at this point in his career?

Not basing it on GG, I just tossed that in after checking the FB. Including it doesn't weaken the argument even if it doesn't do much to strengthen it. I think you are putting a bit too much value on a partial season UZR rating.

I'm putting value in a career's worth of UZR, and specifically the last four years.

You're putting too much value in one season's worth of anything.

Lots of weirdly intense Ichiro hate and love in this thread. He's basically done but he could give the Yankees a little bit of value. If this is the kind of deadline pickup the Yankees are going to make, I like our chances.

Not at all. Just the facts. Let's put it this way, of the O's had a chance to get him and we had to give up two prospects at whatever level would you do that? It's a no for me.

I'm putting value in a career's worth of UZR, and specifically the last four years.

You're putting too much value in one season's worth of anything.

Considering that the point you are defending is

out-of-this-world fielder
I think a recent season of not impressive defense is enough to invalidate your point. If you had been reasonable in your initial claims then you would be in a much better position.

Obviously you can't go solely off of a half a season. UZR needs at least 3+ seasons. But he's also going off a super small sample size, and going off irrelevant awards and not looking at the full picture.

A half a season of UZR doesn't mean a lot, but a full career does. Ichiro put up a 15 UZR just two years ago, and has had one UZR under 4.9 in his whole career. It just happened to be last year. It happens. It's an anomaly. It's clearly not age if he's back to his old level once again.

Are you telling me that Ichiro is a sub 5 UZR type of a fielder at this point in his career?

It would not shock me if that were true. Obviously you want to regress UZR heavily, but you can't point to career numbers as an argument that a player isn't declining. Nobody thinks Ichiro wasn't a great fielder, the question is whether or not he's gotten worse/bad.

Not at all. Just the facts. Let's put it this way, of the O's had a chance to get him and we had to give up two prospects at whatever level would you do that? It's a no for me.

Oh, sure, I don't want him at all. But some people are bashing on him for pretty bizarre reasons. "Ichiro is a stat guy and that's all that drives him"? Huh? Etc.

Well he is a Yankee. ;)

Maybe he will want to go into the Hall-of-Fame as a Yankee.

"I want to thank all my family and friends for the wonderful 2 and-a-half months that I wore the Yankee pinstripes with pride. It was a magical run, as I will never forget our victory in the A.L.D.S. over the Angels before falling to the Rangers in the A.L.C.S. I love you all, and I couldn't have done this without all of your support ........."

"And of course, I would like to thank the Steinbrenner family for retiring my number and giving me my rightful place out in Monument Park with all of the other Yankee legends that came before me."

Oh, sure, I don't want him at all. But some people are bashing on him for pretty bizarre reasons. "Ichiro is a stat guy and that's all that drives him"? Huh? Etc.

Well, you're right about that. It's ridiculous. He was a great player and he played the game the right way. One of my all time favorites in fact. The game has just passed him by.

Archived