Wieters is pretty bad offensively

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Wieters had been absolutely horrible offensively, but he has been hitting better as of late. Let's hope it continues. :cool:

Right now, he is not far from where he was last year.

2011: .262/.328/.450

2012: .249/.325/.434

There's still a lot of time to move up or down, so we'll see where things stand when the wheel stops spinning. Wieters had a .699 OPS after 111 games last year, and this is exactly when he heated up. Hopefully the last three games are the start of another strong close for him.

When I saw some of these comments, he sucks, zero confidence, etc...I just had to laugh. Matt Wieters is streaky...and he's one of the most important players on this team. I'll take Matt just the way he is and be happy that we have one of the five best catchers in the majors.

When I saw some of these comments, he sucks, zero confidence, etc...I just had to laugh. Matt Wieters is streaky...and he's one of the most important players on this team. I'll take Matt just the way he is and be happy that we have one of the five best catchers in the majors.

I agree that some of the comments in the thread have been over the top, but I think that the OP was appropriate at the time that it was started. :)

I agree that some of the comments in the thread have been over the top, but I think that the OP was appropriate at the time that it was started. :)

If he's streaky, then it's not really appropriate. Wieters mechanics, particularly his high leg kick, means he gets out-of-what sometimes - his timing is thrown off and he struggles. But that doesn't mean that he's a poor hitter, or value-less, or anything else. We can all hope that, at some point, the mechanics click and he stays consistent. But even if he doesn't, railing against him is silly. He's the best defender in the league at his position who still manages to put up league-average OPS w/ solid power. Criticism like this thread is kind of ridiculous.

That's putting it mildly IMO. The one thing in the OP that I agreed with was batting order. But that was/is with Buck. Every player goes through down periods, Wieters is no different. His are probably more pronounced because of the expectations. He's not that player. I love the fact that Wieters is an Oriole. He's the best catcher we've had in ions.

Note: I underlined the section I was responding too.

I don't know enough about ions to know if Wieters is composed of them or not, but he's definitely the best we had in eons. ;)

I think you could use the word "eons" literally and not be overstating the case. The Orioles have never in their history (going back to 1954) had a catcher with as good an all-around game as Wieters. Tettleton and Hoiles had some better offensive seasons, but they were nowhere near as good defensively. Maybe each of them had 1 or 2 years as good overall as Wieters has been the last two years, but Wieters has a long way to go. Charles Johnson was good when he was here, but it was a short tenure. Dempsey was a great defensive player, but his offense was mediocre.

Tettleton: 26.2 rWAR, 8.2 as an Oriole (note that he only caught about half the time)

Dempsey: 23.1 rWAR, 19.6 as an Oriole

Hoiles: 22.1 rWAR, all as an Oriole

Johnson: 21.0 rWAR, 5.7 as an Oriole

Wieters is at 10.6 rWAR right now, at age 27, in his 4th season in the majors.

Archived