Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez

Greg

The reward for a player like Hanley could be huge and the risk was pretty much just money. If the Orioles can not recruit premium players and have to keep picking through the leftovers than missing these type of opportunities will hurt this team moving forward IMO. It just seems like we wait and wait for prospects to pan out and if they do not, what happens then? The Marlins pretty much gave him away and he wouldn't have been a fit at third for this team?

Again,IMO he's not going to be worth his contract. Maybe he rebounds a bit offensively but he's already a bad defender. If the offense doesn't rebound your looking at a very overpaid player for the next two years. It's just a risk I'm glad the O's chose not to take. We have 3b and SS cover in the next 2 years. Even if we don't make a trade for Headley, Machado and Hardy in some combination, should hold down 3b and SS for parts of '13 and all of '14. Granted we have to spend the money, but assuming PA and DD will spend the money, I believe it can be spent more wisely at other positions.

:agree:

Though I think overpaying for Headley when you have Machado waiting in the wings is a mistake also. Would rather trade for a SP who they can control beyond this year, an OF or a long term solution at 2B. If you do not believe Machado is the solution at 3rd in the next few years then they should be trading him, obviously they feel he is (with good reason) and thus the amount of talent it would take to get Headley (who is in strong demand) is just better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't overpay for Headley. I would give up what I thought was fair value. However, without Headley I'm fine with planning on Hardy+Machado in some combination holding down SS and 3b for the next two years. Schoop could also factor into 3b down the line as well though I'm hoping he can stay at 2b. I guess my point is, and it seems you agree, while 3b is certainly a problem this year, I think we have legit internal options in the foreseeable future.

All I know is we're going to make a trade we better get moving. Everyone seems to be going. There's not gonna be anyone left. Glad to see the pirates going for it with those moves. I think dodgers got a steal. Can't believe that's all they wanted. He may have been in a slump, but he could easily be as good as he was. Maybe he just hates Miami.

All I know is we're going to make a trade we better get moving. Everyone seems to be going. There's not gonna be anyone left. Glad to see the pirates going for it with those moves. I think dodgers got a steal. Can't believe that's all they wanted. He may have been in a slump, but he could easily be as good as he was. Maybe he just hates Miami.

It is more than just a slump with Ramirez though. IMO

The reward for a player like Hanley could be huge and the risk was pretty much just money. If the Orioles can not recruit premium players and have to keep picking through the leftovers than missing these type of opportunities will hurt this team moving forward IMO. It just seems like we wait and wait for prospects to pan out and if they do not, what happens then? The Marlins pretty much gave him away and he wouldn't have been a fit at third for this team?

The risk is the talent you give up to get him, the fact that he hasn't hit in 3 years, he's owed 40 something millon dollars through 14, and he's a well-known malcontent and disruptive locker room force.

The risk is more than just money. A lot more.

Still, with his bad tude' and his faulty defense, a gig upgrade for the Dodgers and would have been a big lift OFFENSIVELY only for the

Orioles. I dont think Buck wanted any part of him on his club.

And the Dodgers loved Manny. He was a mega star. Until he started taking the fertility treatments.

There have been issues with Ramirez and his work habits in the past. If Ozzie carries any weight with his FO the two of them probably have clashed this season and Ozzie probably said get him out of here. It seems the Marlins could have gotten more for him. With AROD out now 6-8 weeks will they get Headley? I hope DD improves his offer and obtains him and Soriano soon. Fix the offense soon DD. Buck was really cranky after the game last night. He said a couple of times...we only got three hits during the post game show. How many more games are we going to have where we score less than 3 runs. We are wasting a lot of good pitching efforts. Chen is now 8-6. He should be 11-3 or 12-2 with a little offense when he's on the mound.

And the Dodgers loved Manny. He was a mega star. Until he started taking the fertility treatments.

They loved him when he was using drugs to play like a hall of famer. Not so much after he was found out and started playing like an aging player without a position. Funny how that works.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Dodgers will send prospect right-hander Scott McGough to the Marlins in the Hanley Ramirez deal.

This means the Marlins will get McGough and Nathan Eovaldi from the Dodgers for Ramirez and Randy Choate. McGough, a 2011 fifth-round pick, has a 3.48 ERA and 80/30 K/BB ratio over his first 72 1/3 pro innings. He was pitching with High-A Rancho Cucamonga this season.

I would have taken Hanley. You gotta spend money to get money. (As in a real shot at a run) for 14 years we've spent no money. Time to change. We put all our eggs in one basket and if it doesn't pan out we're stuck on stupid.

I'd like Headley as well, but I'm not giving them a kings ransom. He cool, but he ain't no world beater. Dodgers gave up peanuts for the Ram. We're in a now or never mode. Screw this future stuff. We've waited for his future for 5 years now with the calvary.

Get what you can. Spend what you need and let's go win a championship!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Archived