The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel better about Zach Britton than I do about:

a. Socolovich who has sucked against major league hitters

b. The manager that left Socolovich in to face major league hitters.

c. The manager that left Betemit in to face a left handed pitcher with the bases loaded and two outs.

d. The GM that left us with a three man bench with no righthanded pinch hitting option.

You mean the manager that has us above .500 and in the playoff race with 2 decent starters all year, no 3B, and only one consistently good OF for much of the season. That guy?

Or maybe you mean the GM that came in and traded for and signed the only 2 guys who have been decent starters and with a limited amount of time to gear up did make some moves that help improve this team from 90+ losses last year and waiting to football season to come to a team that is looking and considering trades because they are in the race.

Its the first year that DD is here and I am sure there is much he still wants to do. I am pretty sure that Buck would prefer to not have Socolovich on the roster period but again its year one and our depth is limited.

Why is it that every time a move does not work out, there are always those who think they could manage a MLB team better than a guy who is widely acknowledged as forgetting more than most knowledgeable baseball people know?

Any manager who can take this roster with rag tag cast offs, no ace and not even a decent starting staff and somehow have them in the mix for the playoffs should be getting our gratitude and not a bunch of namby pamby whining and nitpicking by armchair managers (general statement not directed at specific people)

According to Dan Connolly. Tonight was the third visit and one of those visits were to scout a minor league team as well. Fingers crossed for Chase.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-exploring-lefty-market-padres-watching-20120727,0,436260.story

As much as I am worried about overpaying for him with Machado in the wings .... I gotta admit it would be fun to see someone who can field at third. Its a fair point also that someone made that this allows you to take your time with Machado and let him develop physically (fill out) while round out his game etc.... Not to mention he could slide to first eventually I would imagine. Warming up to the idea as long as we don't mortgage the farm.

I agree with the whole let MM grow into it. I'm of the opinion that when he is ready he will take a roster and a position spot from anyone that he outplays. If he takes a job from JJ or Chase (for the sake of argument), I'm ok with that as long as the best player at that position is playing on the ML team. I don't see the downside of making ANY player earn his spot. I don't want to risk all of our future for this move but it is the one move I'm hoping we make. I wonder who they were scouting since it seems they were scouting players both at the minors and major leagues.

I agree with the whole let MM grow into it. I'm of the opinion that when he is ready he will take a roster and a position spot from anyone that he outplays. If he takes a job from JJ or Chase (for the sake of argument), I'm ok with that as long as the best player at that position is playing on the ML team. I don't see the downside of making ANY player earn his spot. I don't want to risk all of our future for this move but it is the one move I'm hoping we make. I wonder who they were scouting since it seems they were scouting players both at the minors and major leagues.

Well said. Long as the price is right!

Lot of speculation that they were here for the A's, too. Maybe this narrows the field.

I understand that too, but I did find it interesting that in the mention of the presence at Camden Yards tonight it was said that they have had multiple visits over the last two weeks, obviously Oakland was only here as of today. If nothing else, I guess it means that there have been talks on some level between us and the Padres within the last two weeks.

I understand that too, but I did find it interesting that in the mention of the presence at Camden Yards tonight it was said that they have had multiple visits over the last two weeks, obviously Oakland was only here as of today. If nothing else, I guess it means that there have been talks on some level between us and the Padres within the last two weeks.

Yeah, sorry. That was my point. The point of the story makes us out to be in the lead for him.

While I am not sure that it matters in this instance, the Orioles and A's both hold supplemental draft picks that can be traded. The Orioles hold a pick between the first and second round and the A's hold the pick between the second and third round.

The Orioles do have some arms that they could move in Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz. Being that Matusz is a San Diego native I would think that we would have a chance to include him in the deal. I think there is a solid chance that Matusz and the 2013 supplemental pick could be in the deal.

The issue for the Orioles is that the A's could give up the supplemental pick that they hold along with a young high upside starter.

The Orioles are obviously trying to land Liriano and Headley. If a deal is amde with the Padres I would not be shocked to see the Orioles give up a little more to get another reliever in the deal.

Impossible to speculate who they are looking at ...But I'd think were likely sending one of Reynolds,Betemit, Davis (doubtful), or Thome (doubtful).

I just dont see the Orioles releasing one of these guys.

I don't think that's the case sellers like young talent in return I could see a pkg of our top 20 guys hoes, m. Wright, and e. Rodriguez landing us headley and if they insist on schoop they will have to give us one of e. Volquez or c. Richard

What would DD give up to get Richard, Thatcher, and Headley

Arrieta, Matusz, Hoes, Widlandsky, Egan, and the Comp pick

Headley for Matusz, & Hoes

Richard for Arrieta & Comp pick

Thatcher for Egan & another Mil reliever

Too much? Not enough? :slytf:

Archived