One full day left before 7/31 afternoon trade deadline. Go on record: what do you do?

nevadaO

Trade for future or go for it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Trade for future or go for it?

• Trade for the future?
    • Go for it!

Sell whatever brings in a top 75 prospect - JJ, Strop, Hammel. Sell Thome.

Don't trade our supplemental pick, Schoop or any other top 10 prospect.

Our team can still rally and make the wild card, but our competitive position for the wild card has become worse in the past two weeks and I fear our FO will fail to properly analyze our competitive position.

Why deal our 3 best (fairly) young arms, when it's a problem to begin with?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why deal our 3 best (fairly) young arms, when it's a problem to begin with?

Our three bet young arms are Bundy, Arrieta and Britton IMO. Just because you have a bunch of young arms does not mean any of them will pan out. We have seen Britton, Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz look good at times, but look mostly like the types of fringe arms that many teams seem to have.

I disagree, when fans are waiting for savior prospects in Bundy and Machado the future is not now. If the Orioles were a playoff team right now and solidifying the chances if winning the world series than Machado and Bundy could be used to get just about any single player they wanted. Machado would have landed Greinke and Bundy could net someone like Justin Upton IMO. Schoop, Matusz , Avery and the supplemental pick could net Headley and maybe Richard. They system is good enough to fill three holes, but think that this team has 5 or 6 real holes and you just do not see teams addressing that many holes during one trade deadline. The future might be 2013 if we make the right deals, but 2014 really should be our focus as far as a championship goes IMO.

Can't argue with much you said. The future is certainly not now unless the team got stupid in the next 36hrs or so and traded the future away. That said I am not against trading either guys the team does not feel fit into their long term plans or making trades for pieces that will help in the future also. I think if as an organization you can get something to help a team that is in the race (and the O's are) at the deadline and only give up pieces you do not see long term value in then you do that.

Josh Johnson for Arrieta' date=' Schoop, and Klein.

Soriano and Garza for Reynolds, Matusz, Avery, and Schrader.[/quote']

Pretty sure DD would get laughed off the phone with both those deals. The Marlins are not trading Johnson to the O's without getting back Machado or Bundy. No chance.

Pretty sure DD would get laughed off the phone with both those deals. The Marlins are not trading Johnson to the O's without getting back Machado or Bundy. No chance.

That's fine. I wouldn't do the trade then. Getting Josh Johnson is not enough for me to give up more than what he gave up (except add in some other fringe prospects or the draft pick). I would be willing to do that. But, if our third best prospect (who is close to making an impact at the major league level), a pitcher with great stuff (who was our opening day starter and is still very young and possibly close to putting things together), and a couple of C prospects like Klein aren't enough, then don't make the trade, Marlins. That's just about the best offer I give them. If it doesn't get it done, I'm ok with standing pat. I like Schoop enough that he could be our starting 2Bman by the middle of next year, and Arrieta could easily be back in the rotation and figuring things out, especially with the help of Peterson.

I also think it is funny that you know what the Marlins will or won't take. I know there are rumors that they want teams' top two prospects, but they're not likely getting that from anyone. Not for an oft-injured pitcher. And even if they do, none of those teams would be giving away two guys in the top ten like we would be. Don't say no chance. Unlikely, sure. But, I agree with him that I'm not giving up more than that. So, if we don't give up anything and don't get him, then that's fine by me.

That's fine. I wouldn't do the trade then. Getting Josh Johnson is not enough for me to give up more than what he gave up (except add in some other fringe prospects or the draft pick). I would be willing to do that. But, if our third best prospect (who is close to making an impact at the major league level), a pitcher with great stuff (who was our opening day starter and is still very young and possibly close to putting things together), and a couple of C prospects like Klein aren't enough, then don't make the trade, Marlins. That's just about the best offer I give them. If it doesn't get it done, I'm ok with standing pat. I like Schoop enough that he could be our starting 2Bman by the middle of next year, and Arrieta could easily be back in the rotation and figuring things out, especially with the help of Peterson.

I also think it is funny that you know what the Marlins will or won't take. I know there are rumors that they want teams' top two prospects, but they're not likely getting that from anyone. Not for an oft-injured pitcher. And even if they do, none of those teams would be giving away two guys in the top ten like we would be. Don't say no chance. Unlikely, sure. But, I agree with him that I'm not giving up more than that. So, if we don't give up anything and don't get him, then that's fine by me.

I am just going with what the Marlins themselves have been publicly saying.

http://www.fishstripes.com/2012/7/27/3193293/miami-marlins-josh-johnson-trade-mark-teixeira-like-return-elvis-andrus-jarrod-saltalamacchia

Other sources say the Marlins would want TWO of any potential teams top 3 prospects. Its pretty consistently reported by many many sources. Johnson is very good pitcher, under control with a reasonable salary and there is no rush to trade since its not like a Greinke deal were he walks at the end of the year and you end up with nothing. Despite those facts a lot of people are suggesting deals that are far less in terms of talent than what the Brewers got for Greinke for LAA. Just being realistic. Not a slam and I would love to be proven wrong but just an observation based on reality and talk around the league.

I am just going with what the Marlins themselves have been publicly saying.

http://www.fishstripes.com/2012/7/27/3193293/miami-marlins-josh-johnson-trade-mark-teixeira-like-return-elvis-andrus-jarrod-saltalamacchia

Other sources say the Marlins would want TWO of any potential teams top 3 prospects. Its pretty consistently reported by many many sources. Johnson is very good pitcher, under control with a reasonable salary and there is no rush to trade since its not like a Greinke deal were he walks at the end of the year and you end up with nothing. Despite those facts a lot of people are suggesting deals that are far less in terms of talent than what the Brewers got for Greinke for LAA. Just being realistic. Not a slam and I would love to be proven wrong but just an observation based on reality and talk around the league.

It is going to take a haul to get Johnson who will make $13.5 next season (he will make that ths season too). If the Rangers wanted him the price might very well be Perez and Olt. If the Orioles are not going to offer Machado or Bundy (not saying they should) than I think a package of Schoop, 2013 supplemental selection, Avery, and Arrieta/Britton would be required and I am not even sure that the package gets it done. The Marlins want top prospects.

I think that the Orioles window starts in 2014 and I would be building towards that run. If the guy isn't a 3+ year solution than I am only slightly interested unless I can get the player to extend.

It is going to take a haul to get Johnson who will make $13.5 next season (he will make that ths season too). If the Rangers wanted him the price might very well be Perez and Olt. If the Orioles are not going to offer Machado or Bundy (not saying they should) than I think a package of Schoop, 2013 supplemental selection, Avery, and Arrieta/Britton would be required and I am not even sure that the package gets it done. The Marlins want top prospects.

I think that the Orioles window starts in 2014 and I would be building towards that run. If the guy isn't a 3+ year solution than I am only slightly interested unless I can get the player to extend.

From the Marlins perspective you do not trade Josh Johnson unless your getting something back that is pretty good. I really Schoop but I think the Marlins are trying to snag a top tier prospect that the Orioles, Rangers, Boston, etc are holding. I do not get the sense they are intent on trading him and they have even indicated that themselves. It seems to me its more like they are dangling the carrot and saying....hey if you wanna get wild.... we are here. Johnson is a much different situation than say Greinke, he is not walking at the end of the year leaving you holding the bag.

From the Marlins perspective you do not trade Josh Johnson unless your getting something back that is pretty good. I really Schoop but I think the Marlins are trying to snag a top tier prospect that the Orioles, Rangers, Boston, etc are holding. I do not get the sense they are intent on trading him and they have even indicated that themselves. It seems to me its more like they are dangling the carrot and saying....hey if you wanna get wild.... we are here. Johnson is a much different situation than say Greinke, he is not walking at the end of the year leaving you holding the bag.

Honestly the idea of giving up your best prospect for a guy with injury issues is something I don't see the Orioles doing.

Our three bet young arms are Bundy, Arrieta and Britton IMO. Just because you have a bunch of young arms does not mean any of them will pan out. We have seen Britton, Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz look good at times, but look mostly like the types of fringe arms that many teams seem to have.

Exactly. So why trade the ones that we know are quality pitchers?

I try to swap with a team that needs relief help for a upper-tier prospect, trade Jim Johnson.

Package that prospect, along with Avery, a low-A guy, and the 4th compensatory pick to Miami for Josh Johnson.

Trade Kevin Gregg for salary relief.

Archived