One full day left before 7/31 afternoon trade deadline. Go on record: what do you do?

nevadaO

Trade for future or go for it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Trade for future or go for it?

• Trade for the future?
    • Go for it!

Why deal our 3 best (fairly) young arms, when it's a problem to begin with?

To be sure, I am not giving up on anyone, just dealing folks who might have trade value to net a strong return. JJ and Strop are bullpen arms who we should be able to replace next year.

Maybe we can replace them next year, maybe not, but bullpens in particular have big turnover and inconsistent arms from year to year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the this team the last 2 weeks, I think selling the superfluous pieces in an attempt to reload for 2013 is smart.

But we are in second place in the East and 2 games off the wildcard at the deadline! Only MFY's and Rangers have separated themselves. This is our chance if for no other reason, the competition is weak this year. And that doesn't happen very often.

So I say GO FOR IT!

Caveat: Don't go for stupid ;) and I can't judge what would be stupid until it happens.

I focus on finding a 1B for this team. Belt is the guy everyone talks about. He'd be fine because he has a good OBP. But I'd definitely be on the lookout for that position now or this offseason more than any other position.

Finding a 1st baseman would be nice. But I woudl take Pence for LF at the deadline.

Brian Matusz for whatever I can get for him- doesn't have to help us now, or even next year. I don't trust him, don't want to see him again, and if I can trade him to the NL and get a pair of nice low level A\AA prospects for him, I do it.

Mark Reynolds- same. Time to cut bait. I'm working the phones trying to trade him for something of value.

Neither of those moves are sexy, but that's about the extent of what I would do, if I were DD.

Since going a season high 13 over .500 on May 19, the O's are 26-35 (.426). Always look to make moves to improve the ball club, but do not mortgage the future for a 2012 playoff run that likely will be brief. We do not have the talent to match up to the Angels, Rangers, and Yankees over a 7 game series.

Since going a season high 13 over .500 on May 19, the O's are 26-35 (.426). Always look to make moves to improve the ball club, but do not mortgage the future for a 2012 playoff run that likely will be brief. We do not have the talent to match up to the Angels, Rangers, and Yankees over a 7 game series.

I think that's why everyone values Josh Johnson and Headley so much, because they know that they are guaranteed to be part of next year's team, if we were to acquire them. Add that to the fact that Bundy and Machado could also be part of the team, plus a FA signing here or there, and we are on to something.

I am going to go out on a limb and say nothing happens before tomorrow. However we do make a trade in mid to late August for a insignificant player who made it through the trade waiver, but it won't matter anyway because by that time we will mostly be out of the playoff picture, but still above .500. I also expect a total OH meltdown if we make a trade calming we gave up to much. :drek::leaving:

However we do make a trade in mid to late August for a insignificant player who made it through the trade waiver

I heard Bob Nightengale say this the other day on the radio. He thinks the Orioles will probably be more active in August with the players that slip through waivers and make trades more so for them.

Finding a 1st baseman would be nice. But I woudl take Pence for LF at the deadline.

I'd take a lot of things at the deadline, however, if we're in a position where we might have to overpay, I say we focus on our biggest needs for the future, as opposed to this year. That would start with 1B, for me.

Awfully quiet for all teams today.

Choo deal unlikely.

Headley deal unlikely.

Garza deal unlikely.

Stalemate on Dempster.

zzzzzzzz

Now that there are K-cups, we can skip the perculation and go straight to the disappointment. MMM. Fresh and easy!

One by-product of the new CBA will be the amount of trades that could occur on after tomorrow's deadline. The waiver claims will not go very far, when 1/2 the teams in each league have WC potential. If it doesn't happen now, doubt the O's will get much past the deadline. The Red Sox will CB (club block) any valuable pickup potential, IMO.

Archived