• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The curious case of Jake Arrieta

?

Topics

Jake Arrieta

Baltimore Orioles

This isn't what the confident Arrieta or the Orioles expected of the guy who was the 2012 Opening Day starter.

O's fans: Download the Baltimore Baseball app for iPhone, Android.

Yet it seems that outside of uber-prospects Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado, Arrieta is currently the most coveted Oriole by potential trading partners.

According to several sources, most clubs in trade deadline discussions with the Orioles have asked for Arrieta. And the Orioles haven't come close to hearing anything that would motivate them to move him.

That's not to say Arrieta is untouchable. But the Orioles aren't selling him at even a partial discount and most teams see him as just part of a centerpiece in a deal. They want to buy low, and Orioles still view Arrieta as a legit major-league arm.

According to one industry source, the San Diego Padres asked for Arrieta and two other prospects in a potential trade for third baseman Chase Headley. The Orioles dismissed that one and several others that appear to be seizing on Arrieta's status in the majors.

The Orioles think the right-hander with the 96-mph fastball still has a chance to meet his high ceiling.

And so do personnel from other clubs.

I asked eight scouts ? all from opposing teams -- in the past week to order the Orioles' five, mid-20s starters who have been on the Norfolk-Baltimore shuttle from most coveted to least.

Of the eight, only one didn't name Arrieta first. He had Arrieta second and Zach Britton first.

Most everyone else listed Britton second and Tommy Hunter fifth.

Brian Matusz and Chris Tillman were almost evenly split between third and fourth, though Matusz received one second-place vote.

Jake is 26, has thrown 321 IP for us, and has had ERA+'s of 89, 83, and 68 in 2010, 2011, and 2012, respectively. Whilst his WHIP has gotten better each year, as has his SO/9 and SO/BB, you have to make a move at some point to sure up a position of need (3B) that would be a plus, plus situation for us (patience, defense, and pop). Not to mention he's cheap and relatively young.

Man, I really hope this is just posturing, and it ends up happening.

This is so frustrating.

This isn't that frustrating to me. We need to upgrade LF, 3B, 1B, 2B, and Sp x2. Blanton, Pierre and Headley would help, but I do not want to give up quality players for two rentals and a guy like Headley who I like, but do not consider to be a premium talent.

Jake is 26, has thrown 321 IP for us, and has had ERA+'s of 89, 83, and 68 in 2010, 2011, and 2012, respectively. Whilst his WHIP has gotten better each year, as has his SO/9 and SO/BB, you have to make a move at some point to sure up a position of need (3B) that would be a plus, plus situation for us (patience, defense, and pop). Not to mention he's cheap and relatively young.

I would give up Jake, it the players that have to be surrendered in addition to Jake which could be causing the Orioles some hesitation IMO.

Exactly.. when does a guy not have any upside anymore when he is 28 and still stinks? He's not some 21-22 year old kid still developing. What you see is what you're getting right now, i'm not sure thats gonna change.

So the O's don't want to sell "low" on a guy who may never be good enough to be sold "high." Awesome.

Arrieta, Delmonico, and a third player certainly wouldn't be cheap...but good Lord, the O's clearly haven't been able to turn themselves into winners through perpetual bargain shopping. Gotta give to get.

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

As for Headley 4 Arrieta and 2 others. Dont know the others, but I believe one is a high ceiling player at Delmarva. Told it was way 2 much

Ha ha.. I have been making fun of everyone for overvaluing Headley but this isn't too much IMO. Big if on the two prospects of course, but seems in the ballpark to what is reasonable IMO. This is going to be one long thread:)

Archived