SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the O's don't want to sell "low" on a guy who may never be good enough to be sold "high." Awesome.

Arrieta, Delmonico, and a third player certainly wouldn't be cheap...but good Lord, the O's clearly haven't been able to turn themselves into winners through perpetual bargain shopping. Gotta give to get.

Would you make the deal if it was Arrieta, Delmonico and Schoop? I just think that is a lot to give up for a 1.5 year solution at third. If we could extend the guy prior to the deal than great, but I am not willing to give up that much for an extended rental.

The curious case of Jake Arrieta

?

Topics

Jake Arrieta

Baltimore Orioles

This isn't what the confident Arrieta or the Orioles expected of the guy who was the 2012 Opening Day starter.

O's fans: Download the Baltimore Baseball app for iPhone, Android.

Yet it seems that outside of uber-prospects Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado, Arrieta is currently the most coveted Oriole by potential trading partners.

According to several sources, most clubs in trade deadline discussions with the Orioles have asked for Arrieta. And the Orioles haven't come close to hearing anything that would motivate them to move him.

That's not to say Arrieta is untouchable. But the Orioles aren't selling him at even a partial discount and most teams see him as just part of a centerpiece in a deal. They want to buy low, and Orioles still view Arrieta as a legit major-league arm.

According to one industry source, the San Diego Padres asked for Arrieta and two other prospects in a potential trade for third baseman Chase Headley. The Orioles dismissed that one and several others that appear to be seizing on Arrieta's status in the majors.

The Orioles think the right-hander with the 96-mph fastball still has a chance to meet his high ceiling.

And so do personnel from other clubs.

I asked eight scouts ? all from opposing teams -- in the past week to order the Orioles' five, mid-20s starters who have been on the Norfolk-Baltimore shuttle from most coveted to least.

Of the eight, only one didn't name Arrieta first. He had Arrieta second and Zach Britton first.

Most everyone else listed Britton second and Tommy Hunter fifth.

Brian Matusz and Chris Tillman were almost evenly split between third and fourth, though Matusz received one second-place vote.

I actually like this. It tells me many others see lots of potential still in the r4 (exclude hunter). If we can get two of them being solid consistent 2's/3's what a difference it would make. I'm still preaching patience.

Next years rotation of Hammel, Chen and pick three of Britton, Wada, Arietta, Tillman, Hunter, Matusz with Bundy in the wings still gets me excited. I know i'm demented

Would you make the deal if it was Arrieta, Delmonico and Schoop? I just think that is a lot to give up for a 1.5 year solution at third. If we could extend the guy prior to the deal than great, but I am not willing to give up that much for an extended rental.

Absolutely not. But I'm assuming that mention of the high-ceiling Delmarva player precludes the possibility that the third player in a potential trade would be an even better prospect.

Ha ha.. I have been making fun of everyone for overvaluing Headley but this isn't too much IMO. Big if on the two prospects of course, but seems in the ballpark to what is reasonable IMO. This is going to be one long thread:)

This is exactly where I stand as well. Headley isn't elite, but it's reasonable to assume that he'll address a mid-term need capably enough.

I'm shocked at how quick people are to be rid of Arrieta on this board. This was your opening day starter folks. I comend DD on not giving up Jake for Headley. It has to be Headley + more to deal a guy like Arrieta in mind. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet with Jake.

So the O's don't want to sell "low" on a guy who may never be good enough to be sold "high." Awesome.

Arrieta, Delmonico, and a third player certainly wouldn't be cheap...but good Lord, the O's clearly haven't been able to turn themselves into winners through perpetual bargain shopping. Gotta give to get.

Look obviously the Padres are trying to fleece their trade partners. They will definitely trade him in the offseason with Gyorko ready to

Play in the majors. We could try for him in the offseason, but this trade is too much IMO, and I don't care much for Arrieta.

That it's dumb to trade, for example, Arrieta, Schoop, and Delmonico for a pretty good third baseman who's about to get expensive?

I just want to know if he's still trying to get him or what. I agree that's to much for Headley, but what if Headley came with some other low class prospect(s).

That it's dumb to trade, for example, Arrieta, Schoop, and Delmonico for 1.5 years of a pretty good third baseman who's about to get expensive?

My vote for Voice Of Reason.

(I added the bold).

Archived