SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you make the deal if it was Arrieta, Delmonico and Schoop? I just think that is a lot to give up for a 1.5 year solution at third. If we could extend the guy prior to the deal than great, but I am not willing to give up that much for an extended rental.

My bad on taking the 1.5 years from GG21.

If the third player were Schoop I'd say no deal. If it were just about any other "prospect" not named Bundy or Machado I'd strongly consider it.

This. And I might go Arrieta and Schoop and no one else. Or Arrieta and Schoop and a throw-in. But I get that I'm willing to "buy higher" than a lot of others on Headley.

If the third player were Schoop I'd say no deal. If it were just about any other "prospect" not named Bundy or Machado I'd strongly consider it.

This is where I am. Arrieta/Delmonico/ and take your pick outside of the top 3, might be too tempting for me to pass up.

Honestly, Jake is below Britton, Tillman, and Matusz for me. I don't think he's ever a starter at the ML level you pencil in above a 4 or so. I don't doubt his numbers would superficially improve quite a bit pitching in Petco, but for a good 3rd baseman who's here for the next 2.5 years, I'd probably include the third. Although, I'd try to get them to do Arrieta/Delmonico first.

I'm not giving up delmonico in that pkg. for headley I think delmonico might turn out to be the best hitter even better than mm and schoop. Just something about the kid I really like. I'm not saying he's off limits but he's worth more than headley unless its straight up and even then I would have to think hard about it.

I would much rather part with Matusz. I see the clear potential for Jake, and I still see him as being an important building block for our rotation. But that does not mean I would not trade Jake in the right deal, and Headley certainly makes a lot of sense for the Orioles.

That said, I would give them Delmonico and a better prospect if they took Matusz instead. In fact, I would trade Matusz, Delmonico and a couple decent prospects. I too would much prefer to hold on to Jake Arrieta.

I'd be a bit surprised if SD actually preferred Arrieta to Matusz, considering Matusz is a hometown product and has pitched better in the majors and minors than has Arrieta this season. But if BAL can acquire Headley without giving up a top 3 prospect, and Arrieta, rather than Matusz, is the young pitcher in the deal, then I think it's a move that makes sense for the near- and mid-term without mortgaging too much in terms of future returns.

I would much rather part with Matusz. I see the clear potential for Jake, and I still see him as being an important building block for our rotation. But that does not mean I would not trade Jake in the right deal, and Headley certainly makes a lot of sense for the Orioles.

That said, I would give them Delmonico and a better prospect if they took Matusz instead. In fact, I would trade Matusz, Delmonico and a couple decent prospects. I too would much prefer to hold on to Jake Arrieta.

I'll go on record as being in the opposite camp.

I'm not giving up delmonico in that pkg. for headley I think delmonico might turn out to be the best hitter even better than mm and schoop. Just something about the kid I really like. I'm not saying he's off limits but he's worth more than headley unless its straight up and even then I would have to think hard about it.

This is my thought process. I could be convinced on Arrieta, but I really like Delmonico.

Archived