SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

My bad on taking the 1.5 years from GG21.

The report I read said he was a free agent until 2014, but they should have said through 2014. Sorry about that, honest mistake. With the extra year comes a heftier price. I would give up Arrieta, Delmonico and Avery/Hoes for him, but I am still not doing Arrieta, Delmonico and Schoop unless I can extend him for a couple more years.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my thought process. I could be convinced on Arrieta, but I really like Delmonico.

Lower level guys are riskier obviously and further away, but you have to give to get. I would go Matusz/Arrieta, Delmonico/Schoop and Avery/Hoes, but that is by far more than I can see another team giving up for him at this point. They might be better off if they keep him and try to deal him on a weak corner infielder market.

I'll go on record as being in the opposite camp.

Fair enough, but I have seen nothing from Matusz that makes me think that his very average velocity will translate into a better career than Jake who could at least be a viable reliever if he falter as a starter. None of these guys are getting any younger however. The A's have traded away a ton of young pitching prospects that turned into below average starters.

He may have been the opening day starter, but nothing has changed with him since he's been here. And he is 26 already. What has he shown? Yes his stuff is good, but he's either going to be a good bullpen guy or nothing at all. Hes been at it long enough, not everyone works out. I never would of thought matusz would of been as bad as he is. Both of these guys can't handle the pressure. Bradley isn't just a 2 month rental, of he does great for us this year and the next, who cares of he's do for some money. Hopefully by then we have a team to compete for the world series. So we give him the money and don't have to worry about a 3b for once. If Angelo's have DD the go ahead to spend money and get whatever we needed, who says he's not going to start spending to keep and add good players

I'm told Delmonico was not the only lower level, highish ceiling name being discussed. Parker Bridwell and Eduardo Rodriguez are also on the list, and SD may have been asking for all of them.

So, they were possibly asking for Arrieta plus the three Shorebirds? Wow...that's a lot.

Look obviously the Padres are trying to fleece their trade partners. They will definitely trade him in the offseason with Gyorko ready to

Play in the majors. We could try for him in the offseason, but this trade is too much IMO, and I don't care much for Arrieta.

Sorry Paul ...But the three players speculated in the thread arent a fleecing.

I'm told Delmonico was not the only lower level, highish ceiling name being discussed. Parker Bridwell and Eduardo Rodriguez are also on the list, and SD may have been asking for all of them.

What, Arrieta, Delmonico, Bridwell and Rodriguez? Not sure how I feel about that.

Wanted, in past tense? Have their demands come down?

I'd hate to lose Jake. He and Britton are the two I really still see star potential in. But depending on who those prospects were, I might be talked into that deal.

I assume wanted, meaning back when we were still talking about Headley. Like, past tense.

Maybe for Headley and something else...maybe Richard.

All I know is I'd rather give up quantity like those 4 instead of less quantity but more quality, like, say: Arrieta + Schoop. I'll take Schoop over Delmonico, Rodriguez, and Bridwell.

Archived