Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the O's Report, they said, we weren't willing to take on 3 million of 8 starts. We wanted the Phillies to eat some salary

I was just going by what it was reported that Dan said .... Not the O's report. It sucks that a Gazillion-Aire like Angelos can't spend a few million to upgrade the 1st relevant playoff run the team has had in 15 years.

I believe and correct me if im wrong ...But DD said it wasnt much of a upgrade.

I'm really not sure what you don't understand. Blanton was not considered a big enough upgrade to justify paying Blantons salary and giving up the prospects that the Phillies wanted. At the right price, we have made the deal. It just seems very clear to me what he meant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was just going by what it was reported that Dan said .... Not the O's report. It sucks that a Gazillion-Aire like Angelos can't spend a few million to upgrade the 1st relevant playoff run the team has had in 15 years.

If you consider Blanton an upgrade.

If you consider Blanton an upgrade.

And to my point ..... Why would DD waste 3-4 days talking trade for Blanton based on your statement?????

That's what doesnt make sense ... If he isnt a upgrade why :( ....... Why go to a car dealership and negotiate on a car thats not better than the Kia you currently own.

And to my point ..... Why would DD waste 3-4 days talking trade for Blanton based on your statement?????

That's what doesnt make sense ... If he isnt a upgrade why :( ....... Why go to a car dealership and negotiate on a car thats not better than the Kia you currently own.

If you can get it for cheap, less then you think it's worth

Paying Blanton 3 million for 8 starts and having to give up prospects, not worth it to me. Many trades, the prospects you get depends on how much salary they are willing to eat.

If you can get it for cheap, less then you think it's worth

Paying Blanton 3 million for 8 starts and having to give up prospects, not worth it to me. Many trades, the prospects you get depends on how much salary they are willing to eat.

You realize that $3 Million is equivalent to about 1/2 years salary $20,000 to a average guy/business. Basically its not a lot of money in the MLB or sports world for that matter.

I would love to know how a trade for a pitcher like Blanton got in the way of a possible deal for a bat. I also wonder how that sort of thing could happen when all the O's had to do was eat all of Blanton's $3M. The fact that we could have entertained eating $3M of his contract and give up something of little value could have pushed the Phillies to include other parts that we could have been considered adding into a deal for a hitter.

Blanton is not perfect, but I do think that he is better than Hunter and he has been hot of late. He also putches pretty well in the second half throughout his career IIRC. Could Soriano have been the hitter with Philly additions going to the Cubs to eat a larger portion of his salary? I am not losing sleep over Blanton, but I really wonder who that hitter in question was.

DD didnt address the money, though, and that concerns me. It seems like if we ate the contract and threw them a nobody prospect we could have had blanton, who I really think would help us down the stretch. Not to mention it raises the issue of the Orioles being cheap.

No it doesnt. It makes them smart. we are taklking about Blanton. For just two months. Is he taht much better than Hunter? Now i dont like Hunter. Anyway I beleive that DD was smart.

Duquette also said on the TV telecast he was close to making two trades. One for a pitcher and one for a hitter. Sorry,if I got anyoneshopes up yesterday. I think the O's got close and then did not want to part with certain players. They can still make trades but most of the big names are gone and would be difficult to get through waivers.

No it doesnt. It makes them smart. we are taklking about Blanton. For just two months. Is he taht much better than Hunter? Now i dont like Hunter. Anyway I beleive that DD was smart.

It depends how you look at it ...If they save $3million and it is used later ...Well fine ...But if its put in a greedy owners pockets like much of the past 15 years then It sucks. Peter Angelos has shown no desire to open the check book and basically denies the flood of profits from MASN and the use of them to improve the team. A claim he said he needed in the deal that allowed the Gnats into DC.

You realize that $3 Million is equivalent to about 1/2 years salary $20,000 to a average guy/business. Basically its not a lot of money in the MLB or sports world for that matter.

Comparing $3M to $20,000 for us as an excuse for the Orioles to go wrecklessly spending was probably not the best way to get people on your side of the argument.

Archived