Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

Comparing $3M to $20,000 for us as an excuse for the Orioles to go wrecklessly spending was probably not the best way to get people on your side of the argument.

I dont need you agreement or acceptance & simply dont care if your on my side or not .... Half a years salary for a normal person is a fair comparison to a organization thats average players salary of $3 Million and has revenues in the 100+ million dollar range. So basically the team chose not to add Blanton (who the Orioles obviously thought was a upgrade) if they could have gotten the Phillies to pay for his services for him. Imagine that your ex-employer paying the salary for a new employer....The Orioles couldve had Blanton for next to nothing if they would pay his salary. Since they didnt want a salary dump the Phillies wanted a good prospect in exchange for the $3 Million. Should the Orioles have given up a player like Schoop for Blanton ... NO! Should they have agreed to pay him for half a season that they used his services and sent a garbage prospect YES.

The money in this matter isnt relevant to any club that not just plain CHEAP. You can buy the BS ...But you cant convince me to do the same.

espn.go.com/mlb/.../major-league-baseball-average-salary-increases-..

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends how you look at it ...If they save $3million and it is used later ...Well fine ...But if its put in a greedy owners pockets like much of the past 15 years then It sucks. Peter Angelos has shown no desire to open the check book and basically denies the flood of profits from MASN and the use of them to improve the team. A claim he said he needed in the deal that allowed the Gnats into DC.

Did you see the money that Jones got? They haven't been cheap. Again, Blanton is not a guy you should have to spend a lot of money on or any real money on. He is NOT an impact player.

You could make this charge if this was over someone like Headley or Josh Johnson or Dempster - but not Blanton.

Did you see the money that Jones got? They haven't been cheap. Again, Blanton is not a guy you should have to spend a lot of money on or any real money on. He is NOT an impact player.

You could make this charge if this was over someone like Headley or Josh Johnson or Dempster - but not Blanton.

Well seeing how DD said this deal smashed a deal for a hitter (Headley I assume).You could easily link the two. Look SJ I dont love Blanton or the idea of getting him. What I have is a problem with a GM that days Im gonna upgrade the team before the deadline because the Orioles are in it to win it now. Then to come up empty and say one deal killed another and the first deal was not done over $3million when attendance increases have more than covered it . Truth be known I wanted Headley on the O's real bad. It didnt work out and now its water under the bridge until at very least the off season. But coming up empty with a team with so many flaws is just unacceptable. I didnt like Blanton from the get go ....But DD obviously did and to blame salary for the reason it didnt happen is sad.

"Increase attendance and we will upgrade the team" Just more BS from the Orioles no matter who's in charge.

IF they can stay in the WC race 3M ain't hard to make up----kind of like betting positive on yourself----- buy this is PA and the PA way.

This line of thinking is REALLY starting to piss me off, especially when we don't even know that PA had anything to do with any of this.

Like Roy said, I trust DD to do the right thing, and if he thought the price for Blanton was too much for what he would give us, then that's enough for me! All this Angelos stuff is just BS!

Actually part of it is our money. I will admit, I don't go to games like I used to. I got sick of wasting MY money to watch a poor product. PA has pocketed enough money over the years. He even said MASN would allow the O's to compete financially with the top teams. That was a lie too...Shocking!

Well then you're missing out on a Hell of a season! Congrats! :rolleyes:

Well seeing how DD said this deal smashed a deal for a hitter (Headley I assume).You could easily link the two. Look SJ I dont love Blanton or the idea of getting him. What I have is a problem with a GM that days Im gonna upgrade the team before the deadline because the Orioles are in it to win it now. Then to come up empty and say one deal killed another and the first deal was not done over $3million when attendance increases have more than covered it . Truth be known I wanted Headley on the O's real bad. It didnt work out and now its water under the bridge until at very least the off season. But coming up empty with a team with so many flaws is just unacceptable. I didnt like Blanton from the get go ....But DD obviously did and to blame salary for the reason it didnt happen is sad.

"Increase attendance and we will upgrade the team" Just more BS from the Orioles no matter who's in charge.

The last deal we heard was Jake, Davis, and a prospect for Headley. YOU may want to make that deal, but most of the rest of us, AND DD, knew the price was too much!

I don't have entirely rational reasons for saying this, but I intuitively trust DD's judgement, whereas I did not intuitively trust AM's. So I have no problem with not making any trades. I think DD knows, as most of us do, that the club is in the process of turning the corner. We have a lot of good character guys, it seems, with some talent, even if many of them are limited or playing out of position. We seems to have a good clubhouse, and a nice young core signed for a little while.

I think we need to improve 3B, 1B, 2B, LF and three SP spots to compete consistently. You can't accomplish that with one "reach" trade. But you could *undermine* the process of filling those holes by trading Schoop (2B), Delmonico (3B), Avery/Hoes (LF), Arrieta, et al. I think DD sees the larger, longer-term picture here. You wouldn't want to lose even a single one of these prospects for a Blanton-like player, IMO.

However, I'm starting to get the feeling that DD will make at least one major FA signing this offseason.

Comparing $3M to $20,000 for us as an excuse for the Orioles to go wrecklessly spending was probably not the best way to get people on your side of the argument.

Does Blanton help this team and would Duquette have picked him up if finances and not prospects were the issue? If both answers are yes than why wasn't the trade made? If either answer was no than why were we negotiating with the Phillies to begin with? Duquette making the statement about two deals being in the works and the deal for the hitter needing to take place after the deal for a pitcher has the stink of Angelos on it IMO.

Hanley Ramirez and Liriano go for next to nothing and both could have helped this team on the field. We talk to the Phillies, they send medical records over for our review and then we can't get something worked out? So if the issue is not prospects than it must be money. If it is not money than it must be prospects. When I see an authorization for the Orioles to be in the $120M on the field product range I will stop putting a lot of the blame on ownership. Until that happens I will continue to think that the Orioles are trying to pocket a little more and spend a little less. We have a regional sports network.

According to ESPN the Orioles are 18th in MLB in 2012 with a team payroll of $80.804M. If the Orioles spent $100M on payroll in 2012 they would have been

10th. If we can't afford $3M for Blanton which would have put as at 16th in total payroll than we have some real issues. $3M for half a year of Blanton is a small risk IMO. With Reynolds ($7.5M/$500k 2013 buyout), Gregg ($5.2M), Chavez ($1.5M), and Thome ($1.25M) coming off the books after this year the Orioles will have about $15M saved (Prior to arbitration/raises). That should leave the Orioles in a good position to add a very good baseball player without taking the payroll past the $90M range. Considering that Roberts and a couple other will walk the following year should put us in good position to need a premium player or two very good players to supplement what we currently have.

Myabe it is just me and I get Duquette's statement about not wanting to pay for a player that is similar to what we currently have, but I do read between the lines a bit here and think that there continues to be a disconnect between the Orioles owner and our GM.

I don't have entirely rational reasons for saying this, but I intuitively trust DD's judgement, whereas I did not intuitively trust AM's. So I have no problem with not making any trades. I think DD knows, as most of us do, that the club is in the process of turning the corner. We have a lot of good character guys, it seems, with some talent, even if many of them are limited or playing out of position. We seems to have a good clubhouse, and a nice young core signed for a little while.

I think we need to improve 3B, 1B, 2B, LF and three SP spots to compete consistently. You can't accomplish that with one "reach" trade. But you could *undermine* the process of filling those holes by trading Schoop (2B), Delmonico (3B), Avery/Hoes (LF), Arrieta, et al. I think DD sees the larger, longer-term picture here. You wouldn't want to lose even a single one of these prospects for a Blanton-like player, IMO.

However, I'm starting to get the feeling that DD will make at least one major FA signing this offseason.

Jones

Hardy

Tillman

Strop

Davis

Reynolds

A good portion of our 25 man roster came from dealing away a few relief pitchers and Bedard. There are some things I would have liked to see MacPhail do that I have seen Duquette work on thus far, but some of our best players have come from smart baseball deals by MacPhail.

The fact that the 3 M blew the deal for both Blanton and a bat gives me pause. It's understandable if it's just Blanton. But depending on who the bat was the 3 M might not have been so much. I keep getting the impression from DD's remarks that he thought he had a deal in place. Why would he think that if $$$$ was such an issue up front. I doubt Philly said fine we'll eat the contract and then turned around and said no, only if you give us Schoop. I think something happened in between. PA shenanigans IMO.

The fact that people are up in arms about not acquiring Joe Blanton, gives me pause.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

If you would read the above post you would see that one person isn't bothered by not getting Blanton, You would see that that person is concerned that we lost a bat that may have helped, and also that PA is meddling again. But of course that would be contingent on being able to read.

If you would read the above post you would see that one person isn't bothered by not getting Blanton, You would see that that person is concerned that we lost a bat that may have helped, and also that PA is meddling again. But of course that would be contingent on being able to read.

I hope when I'm an old man, I'm not as bitter and spiteful as you are. I can read just fine, and if your ego allowed your reading comprehension to get past the fact that every single post isn't a complete challenge to your own, you might (I realize I am probably giving you too much credit) understand that this thread is littered with angst about not getting Blanton. Sure, it sucks we didn't get the bat, but again, it's not worth freaking out over, because we have absolutely no clue who the bat was, and what players were going back. I love a good conspiracy theory, as much as the next guy, so if you want to blame Angelos, sure, why not?

Archived