Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

I hope when I'm an old man, I'm not as bitter and spiteful as you are. I can read just fine, and if your ego allowed your reading comprehension to get past the fact that every single post isn't a complete challenge to your own, you might (I realize I am probably giving you too much credit) understand that this thread is littered with angst about not getting Blanton. Sure, it sucks we didn't get the bat, but again, it's not worth freaking out over, because we have absolutely no clue who the bat was, and what players were going back. I love a good conspiracy theory, as much as the next guy, so if you want to blame Angelos, sure, why not?

I'm assuming you mean other than the complete lack of evidence that he had anything to do with it? ;)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last deal we heard was Jake, Davis, and a prospect for Headley. YOU may want to make that deal, but most of the rest of us, AND DD, knew the price was too much!

I believe that was supposed to have come from a duped Twitter account of a Washington sportswriter. Could be wrong...

I'm assuming you mean other than the complete lack of evidence that he had anything to do with it? ;)
I am basing my suppositions on Duq XM's reactions yesterday. He seemed pretty clear that he thought ownership had been involved. He is in a position to know this, given his connections with the FO, past and present. He brought up his past experiences with PA and trades he had tried to complete.

I am basing my suppositions on Duq XM's reactions yesterday. He seemed pretty clear that he thought ownership had been involved. He is in a position to know this, given his connections with the FO, past and present. He brought up his past experiences with PA and trades he had tried to complete.

You took three whole rep points from me, may God have mercy on your soul. :rolleyestf:

I hear ya, but Jim Duquette often takes shots at PA based on his knowledge of working for him. Well, that was over 5 years ago, and PA has obviously changed in many regards over the years. JD is not the end all be all, and his statements are not always true. I don't think JD and DD are quite as close as you may think.

Jim Duq has an axe to grind against Angelos and an interest in defending his cousin. Anything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt. DD has said on several occassions that he has the full support of ownership and that if he saw a need, he had the ability to address that need. If Chris Davis, as a speculative example was part of the deal, we'd be trading far more productivity away than we would have been getting back in Headley. For that reason alone, Duquette was fully justified in not making such a trade. If he felt Blanton was not worth $3mil for the 8-10 starts he'd make between now and the end of the season, I agree and applaud him for not taking on that cost or trading away a player like Schoop to reduce the cost. None of this remotely needed to involve Angelos to be not only plausible, but likely.

Jim Duq has an axe to grind against Angelos and an interest in defending his cousin. Anything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt. DD has said on several occassions that he has the full support of ownership and that if he saw a need, he had the ability to address that need. If Chris Davis, as a speculative example was part of the deal, we'd be trading far more productivity away than we would have been getting back in Headley. For that reason alone, Duquette was fully justified in not making such a trade. If he felt Blanton was not worth $3mil for the 8-10 starts he'd make between now and the end of the season, I agree and applaud him for not taking on that cost or trading away a player like Schoop to reduce the cost. None of this remotely needed to involve Angelos to be not only plausible, but likely.

Rep worthy!

I hear ya, but Jim Duquette often takes shots at PA based on his knowledge of working for him. Well, that was over 5 years ago, and PA has obviously changed in many regards over the years. JD is not the end all be all, and his statements are not always true. I don't think JD and DD are quite as close as you may think.
I understand this, but in to context of his remarks, I giot the distinct impression he knew specifically that PA had intervened. Of course I can't be sure, but this in conjunction with DD's remarks about the deal for the bat, makes me suspicious.

Well then you're missing out on a Hell of a season! Congrats! :rolleyes:

I just choose to put my money towards more import things, like providing for my family. And Im not really missing anything, since they have this new thing called tv. Maybe you've heard of it?

I understand this, but in to context of his remarks, I giot the distinct impression he knew specifically that PA had intervened. Of course I can't be sure, but this in conjunction with DD's remarks about the deal for the bat, makes me suspicious.

And it COULD be true.

But we're talking about Joe Blanton, and we're talking about $3 million. This isn't $200 million for Tex talk here. I HIGHLY doubt Angelos is getting involved in this minor of a deal. That's why I think JD's bias is coming into play.

Whose talking about Davis in a Headley trade. Why would SD want Davis when they have Alonso. I don't know where that idea came from. My concern is for the O's to make it through August playing close to .500 ball. Then with Hammel and roster expansion, Sept would be interesting. A bat plus, Blanton could help us do that. If money was an issue up front I don't see why DD would have thought he had a deal in place. That plus Duq XM's remarks, lead me to suspect PA stuck his oar in. I get the impression DD was surprised the deal didn't happen.

And it COULD be true.

But we're talking about Joe Blanton, and we're talking about $3 million. This isn't $200 million for Tex talk here. I HIGHLY doubt Angelos is getting involved in this minor of a deal. That's why I think JD's bias is coming into play.

Honestly, this really wasn't as much concern over not getting Blanton as it is about not spending to upgrade, when DD was told he had the go ahead to spend if he felt it would improve the team. Obviously Dan was lied to, because it was reported money was a factor. Obviously Dan thought he had the go ahead and thought Blanton would help, or he wouldn't have been in talks with philly. We will never know for sure. This winter will tell alot though.

Actually part of it is our money. I will admit, I don't go to games like I used to. I got sick of wasting MY money to watch a poor product. PA has pocketed enough money over the years. He even said MASN would allow the O's to compete financially with the top teams. That was a lie too...Shocking!
I just choose to put my money towards more import things, like providing for my family. And Im not really missing anything, since they have this new thing called tv. Maybe you've heard of it?

YOUR two posts are completely different. Post one complains that you don't spend on the Orioles because they are losers and Angelos lied to you. Post two states you're on a budget (which we all are) and you choose to watch on TV rather than at the park (which I do most of the time as well.)

Post two makes perfect sense. Post one is ridiculous, and I stand by my statement that you're missing a lot of fun by holding a stupid grudge against Angelos. And for the record, you aren't the only one who falls into that category!

YOUR two posts are completely different. Post one complains that you don't spend on the Orioles because they are losers and Angelos lied to you. Post two states you're on a budget (which we all are) and you choose to watch on TV rather than at the park (which I do most of the time as well.)

Post two makes perfect sense. Post one is ridiculous, and I stand by my statement that you're missing a lot of fun by holding a stupid grudge against Angelos. And for the record, you aren't the only one who falls into that category!

The two go hand in hand. I've always had a budget, but before I wouldntt mind putting out a little extra for a day at the park. Now I can't stomach struggling to pad Peters pockets. Im sorry if that logic offends you, but after 14 years, its hard to take. This year has been great, but a solid 3/4 of the season doesn't erase the past 14, and will be a waste if Angels won't allow DD to build off this. Im willing to wait and see. Like I said, this winter will say alot.

Archived