Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

Now see, just when we were starting to get along, you do this. Do you NOT understand how condescending it is to generalize opinions of some as everyone at the Hangout having that opinion? Its statements like that why I called you a troll earlier. I could be off base, and maybe you were just tongue in cheek with that statement, and if so, I apologize, but that sure sounds like a generalized comment about the OH and that no one is allowed to disagree with each other. And if so, those are the kinds of statements that get people agitated!

Its not meant to generalize posters. I meant it as most of the pisters, including myself know that the O's chances of being able to sign big name FA is slim, and we all understand and are in agreement with that. Sorry if it came out seemingly in bad taste. Wasnt meant as an attack on amyone.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall Stottle not thinking Cespedes would be a good risk, for the money being rumored, for a variety of reason one of them being the cultural

change.

ARam is a good player sure. But he's also one of those Prima Donna types you generally want to stay away from. Perhaps you think differently.

Keppinger didn't have a good 2011. 2010 was decent but then you have to go back to 2007 to see a good season. So he wasn't a no-brainer.

So Stottle was wrong ... Cepedes has proved he's the real deal. A Ram was ok with me as we need a little attitude on this team. And Jackson ...That was three out of four by your estimation ...and thats just one year.

So I'll concede Keppinger wasnt a no brainer if you'll concede we've passed on a good number of good free agents over 10 years;)

Deal ??? I just see no evidence that anything has changed with ownership. I believe Peter wants to win if he can do it moneyball or Rays style. I dont see the owner that claimed he needed MASN to be competative only to not use the resources to increase payroll.

So Stottle was wrong ... Cepedes has proved he's the real deal. A Ram was ok with me as we need a little attitude on this team. And Jackson ...That was three out of four by your estimation ...and thats just one year.

So I'll concede Keppinger wasnt a no brainer if you'll concede we've passed on a good number of good free agents over 10 years;)

Deal ??? I just see no evidence that anything has changed with ownership. I believe Peter wants to win if he can do it moneyball or Rays style. I dont see the owner that claimed he needed MASN to be competative only to not use the resources to increase payroll.

And I understand we can't compete money wise with the big boys. But we sure as hell should be able to with the A's. They felt Cepedes was worth it. If the guy that wrote the book on moneyball thought Cepedes was worth it, why didn't we. How much better are we if we had Cepedes in LF and Colon in our rotation all year? Id say wed be atleast 10 over and be up there with the Angels.

And I understand we can't compete money wise with the big boys. But we sure as hell should be able to with the A's. They felt Cepedes was worth it. If the guy that wrote the book on moneyball thought Cepedes was worth it, why didn't we. How much better are we if we had Cepedes in LF and Colon in our rotation all year? Id say wed be atleast 10 over and be up there with the Angels.

He didn't write the book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Its hard to buy the idea that Blanton is not better then Hunter or what Britton is doing right now. Britton, Arrieta, Matusz may have better long term return for the O's but for the next 60 days Blanton is a better 4th or 5th starter then what the O's have ----Probably.

$3M for 12 starts. 5 divided in 60 days is 12 starts. Blanton may be a .500 pitcher so that is potentially 6 wins. That would be desirable verses Britton not getting to the fifth inning right now.

I wasn't at the table. I don't know what the Phillies wanted that the O's would not give. Facts are:

Texas got Dempsters

Angels got Greinke

White Sox got Myers

Tigers got Sanchez

O's got Quintanilli

Those teams that want to be in the players added pitching.

DD will probably continue to try to get Blanton because he will probably pass through waivers.

The O's have to get through August without slipping so the rosters can expand in Sept and Hammel is back. Right now the O's playoff chances may depend on the hope that Steve Johnson is ready to pitch in the majors.

Its hard to buy the idea that Blanton is not better then Hunter or what Britton is doing right now. Britton, Arrieta, Matusz may have better long term return for the O's but for the next 60 days Blanton is a better 4th or 5th starter then what the O's have ----Probably.

$3M for 12 starts. 5 divided in 60 days is 12 starts. Blanton may be a .500 pitcher so that is potentially 6 wins. That would be desirable verses Britton not getting to the fifth inning right now.

I wasn't at the table. I don't know what the Phillies wanted that the O's would not give. Facts are:

Texas got Dempsters

Angels got Greinke

White Sox got Myers

Tigers got Sanchez

O's got Quintanilli

Those teams that want to be in the players added pitching.

DD will probably continue to try to get Blanton because he will probably pass through waivers.

The O's have to get through August without slipping so the rosters can expand in Sept and Hammel is back. Right now the O's playoff chances may depend on the hope that Steve Johnson is ready to pitch in the majors.

I will agree that Blanton is probably better then Britton and Hunter right now, but I'm going to stick with how I feel. I feel DEEP down inside that if the Orioles would have acquired Joe Blanton, there would have been members (probably including you) that would have wanted to shoot DD for what he gave up.

Just a gut feeling.

Archived