This team just made a statement

Frobby

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell you one thing, the statement is very strong if the O's leave NY 4.5 games back. Not so much if it goes back to 6.5 games.

I see where you are going, but winning a series in NY is huge regardless of what happens today. Being 4.5 back would be great, but we did not lose any ground with this series, which is huge.

Why a change in the offense? The addition of Quintanilla for 2B (called Q by Buck) and Markakis (called Nicky by Buck) coming back to hit leadoff has been huge. Quintanilla makes solid plays at 2B and is definitely better than RA and he hits the ball everywhere. He reminds me of a National League player which is really good for the team. He does a lot of small things that I think may be going unnoticed. He turned a DP late in the game last night when he bobbled the ball and quickly picked it up and threw to Hardy in time to still get the DP.

I am glad Quintanilla is hot and he has given the team a spark. But I wouldn't draw any grand conclusions about whether he is better than Andino just yet. The guy has 34 at bats. Anybody can look good over that short a stretch. In case you've forgotten, Andino carried an OPS over .800 for the first 28 games of the season, and everyone (including me) was saying how great he looked. Whether Quintanilla will continue to hit well remains to be seen. However, I'd certainly continue to ride the hot hand right now.

Just an unbelievable win on so many fronts! I am definitely proud of this team. The funny, yet completely expected, part of last night was the online coverage (yes I know I'm preaching to the choir). There was barely a mention of our epic 2nd inning on Yahoo (9th headline of 10) and even MLB.com did not have a headline about our game on the right side of the screen.

You can bet if it were the Skanks who had put up 7 runs with 2 outs that, not only would we be treated the most comprehensive coverage pitch by pitch, jock adjustment by jock adjustment, but I'm pretty sure that 07/31 would be up for a national holiday complete with a commemorative coin and T-Shirt that reads "I was there." LOL

Can anyone find a clip of John Sterling calling Davis' grand slam last night? That would be epic!

Michael Kay would be better.

For all his annoying catch-phrases, I actually find Sterling to be pretty unoffensive. I heard him call a few O's/Yanks games when I was in NY once, and while he's obviously rooting for the Yanks, he does give credit to the other team when they do something well and he calls a pretty good game.

Kay is just obnoxious and thinks the Yankees' stuff doesn't smell.

For all his annoying catch-phrases, I actually find Sterling to be pretty unoffensive. I heard him call a few O's/Yanks games when I was in NY once, and while he's obviously rooting for the Yanks, he does give credit to the other team when they do something well and he calls a pretty good game.

Agreed. Sterling can be exceptionally annoying at times, but he definitely does credit the other team, sometimes actually overdoing it. There were times over the years when I have had to listen to their broadcasts when traveling, and he has really talked good about the Orioles recently. He has been more optimistic about the Orioles than even I have over the past few years, and I tend to have a pretty rosy outlook more often than not.

Kay on the other hand is just a smug homer that acts like the other team does not exist. Kind of like watching a White Sox game on WGN. Blech.

Edit: Well, this might have something to do with his general attitude toward the Orioles. I will file this under "things I did not know about John Sterling."

Sterling began his broadcasting career in Baltimore, where he served as the play-by-play announcer for the then-Baltimore Bullets for the 1970-71 NBA season. He also did play-by-play for Morgan State University football, a role that he held from 1971 to 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sterling_(sportscaster)

How to do Michael Kay's voice: take a California surfer and hold his nose, then force him to say :SEEE YA

They still get no respect. Baseball Tonite just talked about the game. Said the O's ran out of gas a month ago, but showing the they can still win "now and then". Then went right into who will be the Yankees game 2 starter in the playoffs. Man I hope the O's take this division. Screw the WC!

Your first problem is watching ESPN and Baseball Tonight.

On MLBN, after the highlights, Billy Ripken said, "The Orioles don't fear the Yankees anymore!" or something along those lines.

"You can call it what you want to, but he started antibiotics. Doing nothing but sleeping. We sent him home early yesterday. I was worried about bedsores. Make-up wise he's got what it takes to pitch up here. I am real proud of him."

Buck

I don't know what Buck said to Tilly after the 5th, but that scene of Buck fixing Tilly's towel around his neck and patting him on the shoulders, brought a tear to my eye. Great stuff!

I am glad Quintanilla is hot and he has given the team a spark. But I wouldn't draw any grand conclusions about whether he is better than Andino just yet. The guy has 34 at bats. Anybody can look good over that short a stretch. In case you've forgotten, Andino carried an OPS over .800 for the first 28 games of the season, and everyone (including me) was saying how great he looked. Whether Quintanilla will continue to hit well remains to be seen. However, I'd certainly continue to ride the hot hand right now.

Quintanilla is playing way over his head right now, but we might as well ride the train while it's rolling. Andino almost fooled me into becoming a believer, but "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" as the saying goes. He's a utility guy and, ultimately, so is Q. I like the idea of Andino platooning with Betemit at 3B. But that is his primary role as far as I'm concerned.

Archived