Cliff Lee Placed on Waivers

itscbm5042

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe no team would claim that pitcher with that contract. I believe that Lee is being passed through waivers to be traded. To someone else who has a horrible contract to offset.

I believe the Randy Myers deal is still something that is remembered.

I believe no team would claim that pitcher with that contract. I believe that Lee is being passed through waivers to be traded. To someone else who has a horrible contract to offset.

OKay Weams. I know that you know that I know that you know things. So tell me, am I close here...

Phillies send Lee and Pierre to the O's.

O's send Kevin Gregg, Brian Roberts, Wilson Betemit, and Rick Dempsey to the Phils.

Yes, he is owed a ton of money but he wouldn't cost anything in prospects and

signing a legitimate ACE would cost just as much on the open market anyway ($87.5 mil). Why wouldn't we do this? Cliff Lee locked up with the Orioles for 4 seasons, no prospects traded away, it just makes sense; whether or not Angelos would approve it is another story.

Any thoughts?

I'd do it, the Orioles should claim him, he has stuff left in the tank. Edit: I would have to review the contract before claiming him, but he's worth a look.

OKay Weams. I know that you know that I know that you know things. So tell me, am I close here...

O's send Kevin Gregg, Brian Roberts, Wilson Betemit, and Rick Dempsey to the Phils.

I don't know anything here. I just thought it through and realized that it was much like if the Yankees were to put ARod through waivers. Which they do.

And Rick Dempsey and Wilson Betemit have very team friendly contracts.

The only argument I would concede against putting a claim on him is if we think next year with the return of Wada and (possible) rehabilitation of Matusz and Arrieta, we'll have too many starters next year. We don't want to pay all that money to a guy we won't really need. If you plan on needing another starter for next year beyond what we have in house, well then I think putting a claim on Lee is the only logical choice.

While I believe Angelos has more money that we are led to believe, I do not believe he has THAT much money. Would love to have him though.

Huh? Angelos has a plenty of money to afford this contract and then some. He just chooses to be conservative with it. MASN money is being pocketed for the most part. For the exception of Jones and Markakis, what big contracts are on the books? After next year, $17-18 mil come off the books with Reynolds and Roberts gone. Which would make this move to pick up Lee even more intriguing.

Having said this...... it will NEVER happen.

The only argument I would concede against putting a claim on him is if we think next year with the return of Wada and (possible) rehabilitation of Matusz and Arrieta, we'll have too many starters next year. We don't want to pay all that money to a guy we won't really need. If you plan on needing another starter for next year beyond what we have in house, well then I think putting a claim on Lee is the only logical choice.

I don't think you base a decision on Lee with regards to Arrieta and Matusz. If anything, adding Lee would make it easier to Trade Arrieta in a Headley deal. The Phillies will eat some salary. Say they eat 40 million. Id take Cliff Lee for 60 million. Id take him for 80 million.

I don't think you base a decision on Lee with regards to Arrieta and Matusz. If anything, adding Lee would make it easier to Trade Arrieta in a Headley deal. The Phillies will eat some salary. Say they eat 40 million. Id take Cliff Lee for 60 million. Id take him for 80 million.

Per Buster Olney:

Before the deadline, the Phillies told teams they weren't willing to eat ANY of the $97m owed to Cliff Lee, and they wanted prime prospects.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/231105356015742977

Well not alone of course. But if you look at this rotation in regards to next year (because really we'd be on the hook for him for a few years) we've got Hammel, Chen, and Wada as probably locks and then of course a grab bag of Britton, Gonzalez, Hunter, Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta (perhaps at the end of the year Bundy) for the final two spots. If we add Lee we've got 10 starters for 5 slots in the rotation. Is that too much?

Well not alone of course. But if you look at this rotation in regards to next year (because really we'd be on the hook for him for a few years) we've got Hammel, Chen, and Wada as probably locks and then of course a grab bag of Britton, Gonzalez, Hunter, Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta (perhaps at the end of the year Bundy) for the final two spots. If we add Lee we've got 10 starters for 5 slots in the rotation. Is that too much?

Wada isn't a lock. Even if he comes back strong his stuff is better suited to the bullpen.

I wouldn't call Wada a lock for next year. There were questions about him being a starter before he got hurt. Those questions are probably even greater now.

Archived