Cliff Lee Placed on Waivers

itscbm5042

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, it's not 100M, second of all, it's not "terrible." As I pointed out he's just one year removed from the best season of his career.

It's at least 87.5M (if the option doesn't kick in), over 3 years. Possibly 102.5M over 4 years.

He had a great year last year. This year, at 33, he's declining. Should we expect him to keep having great years through his age 34-37 seasons?

OKay Weams. I know that you know that I know that you know things. So tell me, am I close here...

Phillies send Lee and Pierre to the O's.

O's send Kevin Gregg, Brian Roberts, Wilson Betemit, and Rick Dempsey to the Phils.

This is very funny. The reason that it is so funny is you are being sarcastic and this isn't the most wild-assed trade idea that we've seen here in recent weeks.

It's at least 87.5M (if the option doesn't kick in), over 3 years. Possibly 102.5M over 4 years.

He had a great year last year. This year, at 33, he's declining. Should we expect him to keep having great years through his age 34-37 seasons?

No, but I think he will be better than what he's shown this year. And if his option kicks in (which is based on IP) I would think he would have to pitch well. If he sucks no way he gets to the 200 IP mark.

No, but I think he will be better than what he's shown this year. And if his option kicks in (which is based on IP) I would think he would have to pitch well. If he sucks no way he gets to the 200 IP mark.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not go after Greinke?

From what I have heard and read, Lee is in great physical shape - he's a horse, a physical-fitness guy, etc. I see no reason why he can't perform at an elite level through the rest of his contract. If the Orioles could somehow pull this off, they absolutely should - no question. Even if we miss the wild card this year, we do plan on competing next year. Lee is exactly the kind of player we need to acquire anyway. I know he's expensive... but...

Meanwhile, if it costs us a few players other than Bundy, Schoop and Machado, so be it. However, I really don't think we'll have a shot. I suspect someone will put in a claim before us (nice to be doubtful about our chances to claim someone off waivers!).

From what I have heard and read, Lee is in great physical shape - he's a horse, a physical-fitness guy, etc. I see no reason why he can't perform at an elite level through the rest of his contract. If the Orioles could somehow pull this off, they absolutely should - no question. Even if we miss the wild card this year, we do plan on competing next year. Lee is exactly the kind of player we need to acquire anyway. I know he's expensive... but...

Meanwhile, if it costs us a few players other than Bundy, Schoop and Machado, so be it. However, I really don't think we'll have a shot. I suspect someone will put in a claim before us (nice to be doubtful about our chances to claim someone off waivers!).

Forgive me, but this might be the most ridiculous post ever posted on this board. One, Lee is over priced. He's not worth what he is being paid. Two, throwing in a couple of top prospects for the privilege of overpaying him nauseates me. The Phillies have gone down the path of so many other teams, trying to buy there way to a world series. They failed at it. Let them wallow in their misery. Don't give them a hand out of the mire. All those teams who threw money at older free agents as the steroid era ended are now desperately looking for a way out. It's not up to us to help them out, they deserve to suffer, I have no sympathy for them

Forgive me, but this might be the most ridiculous post ever posted on this board. One, Lee is over priced. He's not worth what he is being paid. Two, throwing in a couple of top prospects for the privilege of overpaying him nauseates me. The Phillies have gone down the path of so many other teams, trying to buy there way to a world series. They failed at it. Let them wallow in their misery. Don't give them a hand out of the mire. All those teams who threw money at older free agents as the steroid era ended are now desperately looking for a way out. It's not up to us to help them out, they deserve to suffer, I have no sympathy for them

Until this season, the Phillies have been to the post season every year since 2007, winning the WS once and losing once. Misery? The Orioles should be so miserable. You'll get no argument from me that Cliff Lee is overpaid, but so is Nick Markakis, Kevin Gregg and Mark Reynolds for that matter. Then there's Brian Roberts who's further impoverishing poor Peter Angelos. Thank goodness the Orioles fan base can be counted on to turn out in force at the first hint of further fiscal irresponsibility. The taint on every victory that Cliff Lee might provide the Orioles would be more than offset by the hardship inflicted on the Angelos family and that would be a burden few among us would willingly bear, right? Better we know our place and find contentment where we can. Those new statues sure are pretty.

The Phillies' competitive window closed with a resounding slam and that was unexpected although inevitable at some point. I don't understand the comment about the steroid era though; it seems so long ago. No matter, if you say there's suffering to inflict then hand me my torch and pitchfork. Nothing beats burning a group of suspected steroid heretics, not even baseball.

Archived