Were Os and Yanks unfairly targeted in the Mitchell report?

ijoshyounot

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means and I normally wouldn't make a thread like this but there is something very suspect about this report.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=bos

This is a list of the FO staff in Boston. The Director of the FO staff is none other than Senator George Mitchell. Isn't this report supposed to put an end to the lying and secrecy associated with steroids? Instead we get a corruptly and dishonestly handled report with a clearly and inevitably biased investigator. The fact of the matter is the guy who lead the biggest steroid investigation in the history of the game was on the payroll of one of the biggest franchises. The Red Sox get to choose their detective, judge, and jury and the rest of baseball is sitting around wondering if this report is a sign of things getting better... or worse.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means and I normally wouldn't make a thread like this but there is something very suspect about this report.

This is a list of the FO staff in Boston. The Director of the FO staff is none other than Senator George Mitchell. Isn't this report supposed to put an end to the lying and secrecy associated with steroids? Instead we get a corruptly and dishonestly handled report with a clearly and inevitably biased investigator. The fact of the matter is the guy who lead the biggest steroid investigation in the history of the game was on the payroll of one of the biggest franchises. The Red Sox get to choose their detective, judge, and jury and the rest of baseball is sitting around wondering if this report is a sign of things getting better... or worse.

So you have read the report already ? :confused:

I believe it is an upaid position- so he isn't on the payroll.

Why don't we wait to see what the report is all about before we throw Mitchell under the bus.

This (Mitchell's position) is old news.

I could be wrong, but it took him a lifetime to build his reputation so I doubt he throws it away in a minute over this.

Give me a break. Mitchell is more of a man than that.

I could be wrong, but it took him a lifetime to build his reputation so I doubt he throws it away in a minute over this.

In 1994, President Clinton offered him a seat on the Supreme Court. He declined...

Furthermore, he's a great American success story. "Mitchell was the fourth son of a janitor of Irish descent and his Lebanese immigrant wife." http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSN1264455920071213

An honest politician? :rolleyes: Is there such a thing?

I'll wait until the report comes out. He may have indeed been impartial but I think it was important for the investigator to be impartial in fact AND appearence.

As far as the report and its contents, I really don't care. Its not going to tell us anything we don't already know or hasn't already been reported. I don't expect any solutions to be proposed or really anything to be done.

I don't expect any solutions to be proposed or really anything to be done.

From the "Mitchell Report Leaks Commence" thread in the MLB forum:

Besides either appointing an independent administrator or hiring an outside agency to run the program (MLB currently administers the program in conjunction with the Players Association), baseball should:

• Improve to "state-of-the-art" testing, including additional year-round tests with fewer opportunities for players to escape detection.

• Allow the testing administrator to actively investigate "non-analytical positives," meaning information that can show a player violated the doping policy in the absence of a positive urine test. Jay Gibbons and Jose Guillen, for example, were recently suspended after MLB received information from law enforcement sources documenting that the players had received banned drugs. Neither failed a drug test.

• Improve player education about performance-enhancing drugs.

• Allow greater transparency in the program, such as naming the drugs that players test positive for. Some players try to dodge responsibility for positive tests by saying they unwittingly took a tainted diet supplement. Certain drugs could not possibly have come from supplements, but because baseball doesn't name the substances it discovers, the press and public can't determine whether the player is telling the truth.

Archived