Were Os and Yanks unfairly targeted in the Mitchell report?

ijoshyounot

I'm not worried about Mitchell's integrity.

Here are some facts about Mitchell.

* The owlish former Democratic senator from Maine was Senate majority leader from 1988 to 1994.

* He was named in March 2006 to lead an investigation of steroids in baseball, including accusations against slugger Barry Bonds as he approached the all-time home-run record.

* Mitchell received the Presidential Medal of Freedom on March 17, 1999 -- St. Patrick's Day -- for his role in bringing together Protestant and Catholic leaders in Northern Ireland to sign the 1998 Good Friday Accord aimed at stemming the long-standing bloody conflict there.

* He served as chairman of the board of the Disney Co. while the entertainment giant was wracked by shareholder dissent after a no-confidence vote in chief executive Michael Eisner.

* Mitchell led a five-member commission appointed by President Bill Clinton to find ways to halt Israeli-Palestinian violence, and remained a voice calling for the United States to take an active role as Middle East mediator during the George W. Bush administration.

* A lawyer, judge and fast-rising senator, Mitchell was also considered as a possible Supreme Court justice and secretary of state.

* Born in Waterville, Maine, on August 20, 1933, Mitchell was the fourth son of a janitor of Irish descent and his Lebanese immigrant wife.

* Mitchell earned his undergraduate degree from Bowdoin College in 1954, and served in Berlin as an officer in the U.S. Army Counter-Intelligence Corps until 1956. He received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center in 1960.

* He worked as a trial lawyer in the Justice Department, and then served as executive assistant to Democratic Sen. Edmund Muskie of Maine from 1962 to 1965.

* After practicing in a private Maine law firm until 1977, Mitchell was appointed U.S. attorney for Maine. He later became U.S. district judge for the state.

* In 1980, Mitchell was appointed to fill out the Senate term of Muskie, who resigned to become secretary of state. Mitchell was elected to the seat in 1982 in a come-from-behind run and again in 1988 with a whopping 81 percent of the vote.

* Mitchell shocked his Senate colleagues when he announced he would retire at the end of 1994. Once considered a possible new baseball commissioner, he instead joined a Washington law firm and married for the second time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like the Sox got off pretty scott free from what I've read so far. No Varitek. No Manny. No Ortiz. No Youkilis. No Schilling. No Lowell. This does seem a bit fishy.

The only guy on there that I've seen is Gagne.

The so called investigation can go only so far as to who (like Larry Bigbie) co-operated with it or any physical evidence obtained.

This is why I think "The Report" is bogus...

I posted this in another thread. Man there are a lot of them today...

Sorry but I can't help but think this is a conspiracy.

Mitchell is linked in some way with the Red Sox, right?

Well NOT ONE player on their current roster is mentioned in the report. Not one.

I have a hard time believing that guys like David Ortiz, Kevin Youkilis and Manny Ramirez have remained clean all these years.

The O's are an easy target because they've had a lot of washed up stars come through here over the last 10 years and are a bad team. This report isn't going to deter their playoff hopes or anything like that.

Even the players mentioned on the Yankees are older pieces, not going to be there for much longer.

I think this report is a joke, IMO. Not objective at all.

Absolutely....they rolled over on Mo Vaughn. Otherwise it's pretty much a blind eye towards the Sox. I don't doubt that this is a mostly legit report at all. But clearly Mitchell was not the unbiased and unaffected party that was needed to head this investigation. Such is the nature of MLB however. Remember that the de-facto commissioner for all those years was himself an owner during his interim status. And now his daughter runs the team. Uh-huh.

I don't know aobut that but golly they are targeting guys that used stuff before MLB banned it. And then some use roids because of injuries. I have trouble with my fingers. There is a cream i can use that ahs steroids in it. I just don't wont to put much faith in what mitchell says in his report.

Archived