Law Enforcement needs OHers help in Vi Ripken case

Tony-OH

We were contacted by law enforcement due to the large reach of our community. Officials would like to know if anyone knows anything about this particular Orioles cap? It appears to be fairly unique and they would like to know if anyone know of any venders that may sell this hat or know any additional information about this particular cap.

Attached are three small grainy pictures of the cap the suspect was wearing the night he abducted Mrs. Ripken.

Please post any leads in this thread and if you need to, you can PM me any information and I'll get it to the right people.

Let's see if the power of the Hangout can help get the guy who abducted Mrs. Ripken and give her some peace of mind.

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“We didn’t even know that mom was missing until a 911 call came in that identified her car, She was doing her normal day’s activities. She got up very early and was met in her garage at gunpoint and tied up and put in her car. She was driven around for about 23 hours.”

“Who knows what actually happened in the car for that period of time, Mom tries to articulate it, but really it was just her trying to stay calm and her trying to hope and believe that she was going to be returned.”

“I think part of the reason coming on today is because everybody has asked how my mom is doing, how she is feeling. I want to articulate that she is doing pretty well. She’s doing fine so thank you all, The other part is law enforcement needs your help so by going on TV hopefully somebody will know something about the case or somebody will see the suspect and offer a tip or a clue to the police department.”

Cal Ripken Jr. 8/3/2012

"Mom, by and large, is a tough, strong woman. She's been able to endure this"

"It was a horrible night."

"This is very uncomfortable, no doubt about it, The set of circumstances that has me before you doesn't feel good. "

It looks like a variation on this model, made by Convex MVP

pMLB2-11660590t130.gif

What I would do is contact Convex, get a catalog of their past Orioles caps, find the one with the correct trim. The hat in the video had white trim around the bill, instead of the orange in this one, but the overall design is very, very similar. My guess is that it's an OOP hat.

This might be the manufacturer of that hat. I can't find a site for Convex MVP.

http://www.47brand.com/

They're a licensed partner of the MLB, they should have a back catalog of their previous releases. See if one matches up, then find out who their preferred vendors are/were.

It's adjustable in the back, I think. Hard to tell from the video.
If they're seriously trying to identify the hat, I'd hope they'd have gotten in contact with some sports merchandise retailers. Even if they don't carry the hat, chances are that one of their sales reps will recognise it. The thing with fashion-style caps like that is that they are constantly putting out new designs to continue to generate revenue from the target demographic. So, that could have been a hat that came out last year, or the year before, etc. and is not being made any more.

If they're seriously trying to identify the hat, I'd hope they'd have gotten in contact with some sports merchandise retailers. Even if they don't carry the hat, chances are that one of their sales reps will recognise it. The thing with fashion-style caps like that is that they are constantly putting out new designs to continue to generate revenue from the target demographic. So, that could have been a hat that came out last year, or the year before, etc. and is not being made any more.

True, but the better way to approach it, I think, is to contact the MLB league offices and get a list of vendors/manufacturers that do business with MLB (since all MLB products require a license, they have a limited amount of companies that they work with).

Then I'd start calling each company, ask for a current design catalog, and a few backdates to...say...5 years (these are commonly sent out to retailers, and should be available in archive form). Then start comparing the images.

It gets murky, though, when you realize that the market for counterfeit pro-sports goods is thriving, and this cap could easily have been produced and sold outside of the MLB licensing program. Because those hats are grey market, tracking to a company is nearly impossible.

What is that symbol on the front of the top of the bill of the cap... is that a New Era flag, or did the guy put an American flag pin on his hat?

Good catch. I couldn't tell what that was. I thought it may have been a number, either for a year or a player.

Archived