When Will Double Digit Strikeouts in A Game Stop?

section18

Buck was just asked about the strikeouts on the postgame and he said sometimes their emotions get in the way and they try to do too much. Really! Really! Emotions? I don't care if they are looking for a 95 mph fast ball and they get a changeup. Swing the dam bat. You might dink one over the infielders head. We all remember Guerrero hit a ball that bounced in front of the plate and he got a hit against us a few years ago.

In fairness to Buck he did indicate it has to improve and he cant very well say they suck as much as a part of him might like to. He is sorta stuck with this bunch for now.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When will it stop? When the season ends.

It was obvious last winter that this team would strike out a lot. I really don't care about it much. But the team has hit below expectations independent of the high strikeouts.

Reynolds and Davis are actually striking out less than their career averages.

When will it stop? When the season ends.

It was obvious last winter that this team would strike out a lot. I really don't care about it much. But the team has hit below expectations independent of the high strikeouts.

Reynolds and Davis are actually striking out less than their career averages.

Agreed. It's not the strikeouts that are killing the offense. It's the double plays and inability to hit with RISP.

DD has to change things this offseason. Too many redundant players. Here is the most interesting stat to me. Last year and this year we have the fewest number of PA's with RISP in the league. We don't get on base and when we do we K. Last year we were middle of the pack in average and OPS with RISP but like I said we were last in PA's. We need high OBP players to mix in a couple of spots. I talked earlier this year about Swisher and Youkilis. This year the problems are magnified because we are last in average with RISP.

DD has to change things this offseason. Too many redundant players. Here is the most interesting stat to me. Last year and this year we have the fewest number of PA's with RISP in the league. We don't get on base and when we do we K. Last year we were middle of the pack in average and OPS with RISP but like I said we were last in PA's. We need high OBP players to mix in a couple of spots. I talked earlier this year about Swisher and Youkilis. This year the problems are magnified because we are last in average with RISP.

I think Duquette thought he had addressed it last winter. Obviously, he was wrong.

I think Duquette thought he had addressed it last winter. Obviously, he was wrong.

He talked about it but did nothing really. Wilson instead of Vladdy. Reimold going down hurt but not this much. We need a RH bat to compliment Betemit and Davis and some high OBP guys. We know the core will be back (Wieters, Hardy, Jones, Markakis). Davis should be a DH to me, Betemit a part time guy. Would be nice to have Nolan back but outside of him he really needs to add some guys who work AB's. Reynolds will be gone. Maybe you can't have both Betemit and Davis on the team. It needs to come from the corner IF positions.

Yeah and our RISP numbers aren't actually that far below our norm and our numbers with men on base is actually above norm. We're just bad at getting on base. Our wRC+ is 90. The only AL team worse than us (considering park factor) is the Mariners and they might be unfairly punished. Combine that with poor speed and the DP's and it's even worse. It's not a stretch to say that we may be the worst (certainly one of the worst) offensive teams in baseball, even before considering the RISP stuff.

Too bad we don't have Terry Crowley to kick around.

He addressed the Tides offensive struggles last winter. He can't go through this winter again getting AAAA depth, this year he needs to address the major concerns. Unfortunately we have an owner who will most likely get in the way.

The point I was trying to make with Guerrero was he was probably looking for another pitch and made up his mind to swing anyhow and was still able to get a hit. I was not saying to emulate swinging at balls bouncing in front of the plate. If you are fooled by the pitch you don't have to stand there looking like you forgot there were two strikes. I wonder if any of our hitters have forgotten? They know when the catcher throws the ball around on strike three. Some of our hitters do look surprised quite often with their called strike three.

Reynolds says after the game with 3 K's and 6 lob he was thinking too much on his birthday. They kept him off balance.

Yeah and our RISP numbers aren't actually that far below our norm and our numbers with men on base is actually above norm. We're just bad at getting on base. Our wRC+ is 90. The only AL team worse than us (considering park factor) is the Mariners and they might be unfairly punished. Combine that with poor speed and the DP's and it's even worse. It's not a stretch to say that we may be the worst (certainly one of the worst) offensive teams in baseball, even before considering the RISP stuff.

He's the reason Nick is hitting. It is too bad. We might be doing better.

When we stop throwing out a lineup of low on base percentage strikeout guys. Reynolds, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, and Andino strike out way too much for their power numbers although at least Davis has a little pop. It's a slow, lumbering lineup that doesn't get on base, doesn't do the little things like moving runners over or just making contact. This lineup needs to be significantly overhauled before the Orioles will be serious contenders.

This. x 10000000. No OBP guys. No speed. Terrible "situational" hitting. Half, if not more, of this lineup needs to be gone.

Last year we hit .263 with RISP, OPS was .748, 11th in runs scored with RISP. League avg was .259 and .743. This year we are hitting .234, OPS is .698. League avg is .261 in BA and .756 in OPS, last in runs scored with RISP.

We need significant upgrades, significant ones.

Archived