When Will Double Digit Strikeouts in A Game Stop?

section18

Last year we hit .263 with RISP, OPS was .748, 11th in runs scored with RISP. League avg was .259 and .743. This year we are hitting .234, OPS is .698. League avg is .261 in BA and .756 in OPS, last in runs scored with RISP.

We need significant upgrades, significant ones.

Nice post. All one has to do is look at the freaking lineup card each night. It's pathetic. Fortunately, the cavalry is coming.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year we hit .263 with RISP, OPS was .748, 11th in runs scored with RISP. League avg was .259 and .743. This year we are hitting .234, OPS is .698. League avg is .261 in BA and .756 in OPS, last in runs scored with RISP.

We need significant upgrades, significant ones.

I don't really get wrapped up the RISP numbers. The overall numbers are just bad. We need better hitters. Better players. Losing out on Headley was really disappointing. He was a good solid everyday player. A likely 4-5 WAR player. He would have been a solid link. I'm ok with platooning, but realistically you can only platoon 1-2 players effectively. Trying to platoon 3-4 players just becomes unmanageable. It really is frustrating.

I don't really get wrapped up the RISP numbers. The overall numbers are just bad. We need better hitters. Better players. Losing out on Headley was really disappointing. He was a good solid everyday player. A likely 4-5 WAR player. He would have been a solid link. I'm ok with platooning, but realistically you can only platoon 1-2 players effectively. Trying to platoon 3-4 players just becomes unmanageable. It really is frustrating.

The fact is that half of this lineup are bench players on legit playoff teams. Outside of Markakis, Jones, Weiters, and Hardy, the rest of this team is filled with stop-gap crap. Yes, I'm frustrated as a fan, and probably out of line. But watching the O's trot this garbage out onto the field each and every day is a joke. Sorry to those I've offended.

I think the RISP numbers are down on some part because our BA is down. It wouldn't make sense to have a lower team BA but not effect our BA with RISP. I like Headley but not as much as some. I wouldn't get up alot to get him. You can maybe platoon 1 spot, we need a righty really bad, a Gomes type. This has to be taken care of this off-season, no lip service.

I think the RISP numbers are down on some part because our BA is down. It wouldn't make sense to have a lower team BA but not effect our BA with RISP. I like Headley but not as much as some. I wouldn't get up alot to get him. You can maybe platoon 1 spot, we need a righty really bad, a Gomes type. This has to be taken care of this off-season, no lip service.

Agreed. But the problem is - who do they get to take care of the problem? Free agents don't want to come to Baltimore. The front office seems reluctant to make trades to make the team better (I'm not buying the "we didn't want to give up so-and-so because we feel what have already have is just as good" BS. And then there's the development of prospects. How's that worked out?

It was suggested we need to get rid of half our players. Lets loOk at tonights lineup, which greatly disappointed. Do we really want to get rid of:

Markakis, I think not

Hardy , poor OBP but great D and leads AL SS in HR, I think not

Jones, Fuggeddaboudit

Wieters, very disappointng bat, but one of the best defensive C's in the game, I think not

Davis, league average 1B, second on the club in HR, too many K's not enough BB's, but plays a number of positions not half bad. I would say no

Reynolds , Yes

Ford. Yes

Q, absolutely not

Andino, he's a UTIF playing full time, he shouldn't be, but until they get a real 3B so be it, no.

It was suggested we need to get rid of half our players. Lets loOk at tonights lineup, which greatly disappointed. Do we really want to get rid of:

Markakis, I think not

Hardy , poor OBP but great D and leads AL SS in HR, I think not

Jones, Fuggeddaboudit

Wieters, very disappointng bat, but one of the best defensive C's in the game, I think not

Davis, league average 1B, second on the club in HR, too many K's not enough BB's, but plays a number of positions not half bad. I would say no

Reynolds , Yes

Ford. Yes

Q, absolutely not

Andino, he's a UTIF playing full time, he shouldn't be, but until they get a real 3B so be it, no.

I get what you're saying, but the last half of that list is bench fodder for legit playoff teams. Davis, Reynolds, Q, Ford, and Andino are not starters on a good team. Sorry.

Of course it is, that is exactly the point. You can't pin your hopes on having higher than norm RISP numbers.

The following postions: 1b/3b/2b/LF/DH are all either inadequate or require platooning. You just can't do that. Johnny Gomes isn't going to solve any of that. He's just going to add the problem we have. Like it or not (I don't know what the cost was), players like Chase Headley are part of the solution to the problem.

Of course it is, that is exactly the point. You can't pin your hopes on having higher than norm RISP numbers.

The following postions: 1b/3b/2b/LF/DH are all either inadequate or require platooning. You just can't do that. Johnny Gomes isn't going to solve any of that. He's just going to add the problem we have. Like it or not (I don't know what the cost was), players like Chase Headley are part of the solution to the problem.

Right. A guy like Headley ALONE isn't the answer. But he would be part of the solution. Players like him - that fill areas of need and would be under team control for a few years - are exactly what the O's need. Instead, we're forced to read stories on how they're "in" on Joe Blanton and Kevin Millwood. That's freaking terrible.

The fact is that half of this lineup are bench players on legit playoff teams. Outside of Markakis, Jones, Weiters, and Hardy, the rest of this team is filled with stop-gap crap. Yes, I'm frustrated as a fan, and probably out of line. But watching the O's trot this garbage out onto the field each and every day is a joke. Sorry to those I've offended.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. Also, lets add while those guys are good to very good players, they are not really exceptional players. With the possible exception of Jones this year (and maybe Nick who has been great in the second half).

I would like Roch, Dan, Britt, Peter, Stan or any of the local reporters to ask Buck why he thinks the hitters are striking out so much? Second question as a follow up why so many called strike threes? Third question - 2 part - Do you think our hitters are listening to our hitting coach? He'll say yes..of course. Followup by reporter..... Is it a problem of them possibly not getting the right instruction from our hitting coach? I doubt this will happen but each of the reporters I just mentioned can each take a question so it doesn't look like one reporter is ganging up on Presley.

I get what you're saying, but the last half of that list is bench fodder for legit playoff teams. Davis, Reynolds, Q, Ford, and Andino are not starters on a good team. Sorry.
I disagree. If you replace Ford with a LF who gets on base and can steal a few, and Reynolds with a 3B who can field his position and get on base, this team would be greatly improved. You can live with Davs at 1B. Jury is out on Q but he has done nothing since he has come here to indicate that he shouldn't be playing. I said Andino was a UTIF who shouldn't be a starter, but I guess you didn't read that part.

I disagree. If you replace Ford with a LF who gets on base and can steal a few, and Reynolds with a 3B who can field his position and get on base, this team would be greatly improved. You can live with Davs at 1B. Jury is out on Q but he has done nothing since he has come here to indicate that he shouldn't be playing. I said Andino was a UTIF who shouldn't be a starter, but I guess you didn't read that part.

I read it all. And my opinion is that this team's offense is 1/2 bench fodder. Can the O's live with Davis at 1B? I don't know about that. I'll leave that to opinion. My opinion is "no". DH? Maybe. Starting 1B? Well, if LF and 3B weren't so terrible. Maybe. As for Andino - he's a UTIL guy playing full time. I like Andino. But he is what he is. A starter on an over-achieving team (for now).

In theory the more you strike out the higher the run production. I know a strikeout is bad. It's unproductive. But the stats show that the more a hitter strikes out the higher the OPS. If you drew a line of best fit you would see that OPS goes up with K's.

Archived