When Will Double Digit Strikeouts in A Game Stop?

section18

I read it all. And my opinion is that this team's offense is 1/2 bench fodder. Can the O's live with Davis at 1B? I don't know about that. I'll leave that to opinion. My opinion is "no". DH? Maybe. Starting 1B? Well, if LF and 3B weren't so terrible. Maybe. As for Andino - he's a UTIL guy playing full time. I like Andino. But he is what he is. A starter on an over-achieving team (for now).
This is a truly idiotic statement. Name the 4-5 players who are bench fodder? I would say Andino, Ford and Reynolds are, but I said that. Are you sure you read my post? Davis' numbers indicate he is league average as a 1B with both the bat and the glove. Did you check those out.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a truly idiotic statement. Name the 4-5 players who are bench fodder? I would say Andino, Ford and Reynolds are, but I said that. Are you sure you read my post? Davis' numbers indicate he is league average as a 1B with both the bat and the glove. Did you check thoes out.

Idiotic? Come on, man. Seriously? Be nice.

Andino, Ford, Davis, Reynolds are bench fodder on a playoff team (which is what I was originally referring to). So that's 4/9 of the lineup. Not including the awesome DH options this team has. Close enough.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just expressing my opinion that the lineup, as constituted - sucks.

In theory the more you strike out the higher the run production. I know a strikeout is bad. It's unproductive. But the stats show that the more a hitter strikes out the higher the OPS. If you drew a line of best fit you would see that OPS goes up with K's.

Please show us this graph.

I must seem to make Mark Reynolds out to be the "whipping boy" for the season, when it's not close to the reality that he's the real problem but he's contributed(or not contributed) mightily to the

offensive offense. I was looking at Adam Dunn's horrendous season LAST year...11 HR. 42 RBI, .159 BA AND 177 K's. While it's true Mark missed about a month of the season with an injury,

at this rate, he could end up with similar numbers though not nearly as many K's as Dunn. With three more K's tonight, Reynolds took another step back after seemingly finding a stroke in NY.

Reynolds is clearly not the ONLY problem, but whoever replaces him next year needs to bring a solid glove and a consistent, selective bat to the lineup. Reynolds is having an absolutely

miserable season and it has certainly cost the O's.

Agreed, Roy. He's not the only problem. I won't quite put him at the level of Adam Dunn-2011 yet, but I like the comparison. Let's just hope there IS an adequate replacement next year at 3B. Not sure who that could be though. It's not like free agents are knocking down the door to play in Baltimore. So that leaves it to trades. And, well.....yeah.

Please show us this graph.

Pretty sure there is a very slight correlation with K's and BB's/HR's and probably a very slight advantage in OPS for high K players. That said, his interpretation/analysis really doesn't make sense as you have to look at individual players and correlation is again, very slight.

Idiotic? Come on, man. Seriously? Be nice.

Andino, Ford, Davis, Reynolds are bench fodder on a playoff team (which is what I was originally referring to). So that's 4/9 of the lineup. Not including the awesome DH options this team has. Close enough.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just expressing my opinion that the lineup, as constituted - sucks.

Be nice? Ignore thoughtless hyperbole? You're wrong. Davis is not bench fodder. Show me how he is. Give me the average D of ML 1B, and the average OPS, and compare them to Davis'. That leaves Andino, who is half of a 3B platoon with Betemit that while should be better, does not constitute bench fodder, and Reynold and Ford who do. That's 2 maybe 3, not half.

Be nice? Ignore thoughtless hyperbole? You're wrong. Davis is not bench fodder. Show me how he is. Give me the average D of ML 1B, and the average OPS, and compare them to Davis'. That leaves Andino, who is half of a 3B platoon with Betemit that while should be better, does not constitute bench fodder, and Reynold and Ford who do. That's 2 maybe 3, not half.

:rolleyes:

Good night.

Pretty sure there is a very slight correlation with K's and BB's/HR's and probably a very slight advantage in OPS for high K players. That said, his interpretation/analysis really doesn't make sense as you have to look at individual players and correlation is again, very slight.

The corrleation is stronger than the average fan thinks. Batters who hit the ball over the fence often strike out more than average rate because they are swinging to clobber the ball. Home runs jack up slugging percentage. The objective of a hitter to inflict damage to the pitcher. Pitchers will walk guys who inflict damage which jacks up their OBP.

I must seem to make Mark Reynolds out to be the "whipping boy" for the season, when it's not close to the reality that he's the real problem but he's contributed(or not contributed) mightily to the

offensive offense. I was looking at Adam Dunn's horrendous season LAST year...11 HR. 42 RBI, .159 BA AND 177 K's. While it's true Mark missed about a month of the season with an injury,

at this rate, he could end up with similar numbers though not nearly as many K's as Dunn. With three more K's tonight, Reynolds took another step back after seemingly finding a stroke in NY.

Reynolds is clearly not the ONLY problem, but whoever replaces him next year needs to bring a solid glove and a consistent, selective bat to the lineup. Reynolds is having an absolutely

miserable season and it has certainly cost the O's.

As disappointing as Reynolds has been, he isn't in the same ballpark as Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta. Half decent performances from the three stooges, and we'd be in first palce in the AL East, even with Reynolds K's.

As disappointing as Reynolds has been, he isn't in the same ballpark as Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta. Half decent performances from the three stooges, and we'd be in first palce in the AL East, even with Reynolds K's.

I agree. At least Reynolds can perform in high leverage situations. I'll give him that.

Theoretically Davis could be average if you consider this years stats. But to be honest with you I don't see much upside there. Andino was about average at second if you looked at last years stats. He's declined. You want to count on Q and Brob? Hardy is below average based on this years stats. He's ok but he may decline. Even taking away Reynolds two horrible years for us, he was only an average player before we got him. Maybe Betemit could be an average DH for us next year. It's not like we have very many other great players who can play both sides of the ball. We can't continue to strive/settle for average players considering the core we already have.

Archived