Most important homestand in 15+ years

bluedog

Personally, 5 - 5 would be an utter disappointment for me. It would mean that we played 10 games against teams with losing records, at home and almost certainly lost ground in the playoff race.

I kind of agree, but a 5-5 homestand means that we are 6 games over .500 on August 16th, and probably still somewhat in the playoff chase.

Can't say that's an utter disappointment when looking at the big picture.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's so unfortunate that the rotation is so shaky. Tillman can be either very good, or pray-for-rain worthy, same with Hunter. Britton has been mostly pray-for-rain worthy, as of late.

I'm trying to think of the next best option to replace him from Norfolk. Should we give a hometown kid named Johnson the ball during this Why Not season? This year's Harnisch did get injured, after all.

I'm confident in Tillman right now.

Hunter hasn't been awful lately.

A 5-5 homestand should be our worst case

6-4 is very good

7-3 is TREMENDOUS

Anything under 5-5 is an utter disappointment.

For some reason this made me think of the Olympics, where in gymnastics or diving a mistake almost too small to see turns one into a national disgrace. If the O's go 4-6 I fully expect mass ritual suicide.

I'm excited that we're still in the race and we're into August. What's really mind bottling is that we're NOT VERY GOOD and we're still winning and hanging around. This is the craziest season I've ever seen... this team refuses to go away, and I love that about them. Could be last year's Cardinals if we get a few of the cold bats heated up. Jones is going to have to put this team on his back for the next (wait for it...) 10 weeks if we're going to make a run at something.

Are they still doing those experiments? I remember the sequence being first brain washing and then mind bottling. (Now the interest has gone completely over to implantation of microchips. Rather mind-boggling, come to think of it.)

For some reason this made me think of the Olympics, where in gymnastics or diving a mistake almost too small to see turns one into a national disgrace. If the O's go 4-6 I fully expect mass ritual suicide.

In this regard, I found very illuminating a letter to the editor in the New Yorker (9 July 2012):

I cannot help but make the observation that although, as [Adam] Gopnik writes of the modern games, nationalism is “at the heart of the Olympic ideal,” it is not actually “part of its nature, its DNA” (Comment, June 25th). On the contrary, in ancient times city-states that were at war with each other would put down their weapons in order to compete against each other in sport. The athletes did not identify as being from one country or another. The medal counts by country do nothing more than illustrate how the games have come to serve political purposes. Maybe, as the wonderful spectacle and drama unfold before us this summer, keeping some of these thoughts in mind will help us appreciate and focus on the pure pleasure of sports.

Mark A. Longo

Brooklyn, N.Y.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/letters/2012/07/09/120709mama_mail3#ixzz22mXWmW6Q

I kind of agree, but a 5-5 homestand means that we are 6 games over .500 on August 16th, and probably still somewhat in the playoff chase.

Can't say that's an utter disappointment when looking at the big picture.

I think that depends on your goal for the team. If you are simply rooting for a .500 season, then I guess it would get us that much closer to the finish line.

I want a pennant race and a playoff spot. To me, this 10 game stretch is critical to achieve that goal. 5 - 5 leaves us further out than we are now and facing a brutal 50 game stretch against top opponents with the requirement of making up 2 or 3 games in the standings while leapfrogging no less than 3 teams to secure a wild card.

Sure it could happen, but this is an opportunity for the O's to get back out in front in the wildcard chase and to actually put pressure on the Yanks for the division. That's what I want to see happen.

And let that sink in for a minute. It's August 7th and I just said "put pressure on the Yanks for the division." and its not an insane statement. We are one solid homestand away from being in the discussion for the division title in mid-August.

I think its time we all start revising our expectations for this season...

I think that depends on your goal for the team. If you are simply rooting for a .500 season, then I guess it would get us that much closer to the finish line.

I want a pennant race and a playoff spot. To me, this 10 game stretch is critical to achieve that goal. 5 - 5 leaves us further out than we are now and facing a brutal 50 game stretch against top opponents with the requirement of making up 2 or 3 games in the standings while leapfrogging no less than 3 teams to secure a wild card.

Sure it could happen, but this is an opportunity for the O's to get back out in front in the wildcard chase and to actually put pressure on the Yanks for the division. That's what I want to see happen.

I take it one goal at a time. The playoffs are the goal unless and until that goal is out of reach. I certainly agree that to make the playoffs, this team needs to end up 12+ games over .500. On its' face, this is an opportunity to move towards that number. But it won't be the last opportunity, and this team has gained and lost ground at surprising junctures in its schedule. So, I won't get too down if this homestand is disappointing, so long as it isn't an outright disaster.

And let that sink in for a minute. It's August 7th and I just said "put pressure on the Yanks for the division." and its not an insane statement. We are one solid homestand away from being in the discussion for the division title in mid-August.

I think its time we all start revising our expectations for this season...

My homer selfish goals are playoffs. My realistic goals are .500. I am not going to set myself up to be highly disappointed if we miss the playoffs. A .500 season will still make me very happy.

I'm trying to think of the next best option to replace him from Norfolk. Should we give a hometown kid named Johnson the ball during this Why Not season? This year's Harnisch did get injured, after all.

I might get chills if Steve Johnson starts the 2nd to last game of the season on October 2nd in Tampa.

I love the role reversal that we're looking at a homestand against lesser teams -- the Mariners, Royals, and -- gasp -- the Red Sox -- as games that must be taken advantage of en route to a larger goal. For the past 15 years (and probably still this year, for most fans of other teams), teams have always looked at us this way. I guess it's just interesting to be the shoe on the other foot.

Are they still doing those experiments? I remember the sequence being first brain washing and then mind bottling. (Now the interest has gone completely over to implantation of microchips. Rather mind-boggling, come to think of it.)
They Saved Hitler's Brain. B-movie or documentary?

One of my favorite malaprops.

Archived