sangar

This just isnt true 24FPS and I guess this is where we will end this discussion. I'm certain if you were a pitcher and your manager on several occasions left you in a game where you clearly didnt have it you'd feel much different about the subject. Once in a while a manager might make it hard on a starter by asking him to take it on the chin so that he may save the bullpen. But twice in 4 starts ?

By the way here is Washington's quote

So according to Washington Oswalt said he couldnt go out for another inning.

The second bolded part is Washington's position on pitchers saying they cant go. So I ask ya .... Why would the rules be any different for Oswalt than any other pitcher?

What rules? It has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with attitude.

I don't see how can you imply that he "clearly didn't have it' when he just set down 6 straight batters on 30 pitches. How is pitching one more inning after 72 hours off from throwing 24 pitches "taking it on the chin"? This is simply not credible. No one is disputing that Oswalt said he couldn't go out for a third inning, what's at issue is whether or not he's selfish for refusing to continue. The fact that Ron Washington is not lifting a finger to deflect the speculation speaks volumes as to where his true feelings on the matter lie, media management language notwithstanding. It really shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's not being said and why this is a news story and not a routine case of a tiring pitcher.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What rules? It has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with attitude.

I don't see how can you imply that he "clearly didn't have it' when he just set down 6 straight batters on 30 pitches. How is pitching one more inning after 72 hours off from throwing 24 pitches "taking it on the chin"? This is simply not credible. No one is disputing that Oswalt said he couldn't go out for a third inning, what's at issue is whether or not he's a selfish twat for refusing to continue. The fact that Ron Washington is not lifting a finger to deflect the speculation speaks volumes as to where his true feelings on the matter lie, media management language notwithstanding. It really shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's not being said and why this is a news story and not a routine case of a tiring pitcher.

Are you just trying to be cute ...Or are you arguing in circles because you know your wrong?

I don't see how can you imply that he "clearly didn't have it'

In my last post that you are replying to I was talking about him being left in starts where he gave up 8+ runs twice and his manager leaving him in to take it on the chin! And how you would feel if you were left in games 2 in 4 starts when it was obvious to everyone that you didnt have your stuff that night. And your claim that his Earned Runs were on him!

what's at issue is whether or not he's a selfish twat for refusing to continue. The fact that Ron Washington is not lifting a finger to deflect the speculation speaks volumes as to where his true feelings on the matter lie, media management language notwithstanding

The name calling is really uncalled for and against the rules. Washington said that when a pitcher says he's had it ...That he doesnt question him...Yet he specifically calls out Oswalt. When a pitcher is tired he basically says He's done, Tired, gassed, got nothing left, etc ....They all mean the same thing.

I could buy you your argument if he said Im not pitching relief and either cut me or trade me. That fact that he pitched two 2 inning apps mean that he didnt refuse to pitch. And said he was tired and didnt feel like he had enough left to go another inning.

It really shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's not being said and why this is a news story and not a routine case of a tiring pitcher

Only because thats what you chose to believe. As I said he pitched a full start and 2 2inning rps in 7 days.

I know you've never pitched regularly in your life ...so its easy to understand why your unable to relate. As others have said here that the Rangers and Washington deserve most of the blame.... I think its sour grapes by the manager that he wanted something a pitcher said he couldnt do. and that his very claim of his policy goes against the way he handled it with Oswalt...PERIOD!

"As I said he pitched a full start and 2 2inning rps in 7 days." Again----start---3days later throw---3 days later throw. Where is the overload??????

Starters pitch every five days. They have a soft toss session in between starts ... But it a could be compared to practice. Not throwing full effort to MLB baseball players. I'm guessing that you haven't read the whole thread...so perhaps start there. Thanks ;)

I did read it ----seems to me that later in the year in crunch time it is not that rare for a starter- particularly the better ones--to relieve on their so-called soft toss days. Kind of even an argument for a 6 man rotation wherein the starters Could be used as relievers on their "soft toss" days.

I did read it ----seems to me that later in the year in crunch time it is not that rare for a starter- particularly the better ones--to relieve on their so-called soft toss days. Kind of even an argument for a 6 man rotation wherein the starters Could be used as relievers on their "soft toss" days.

Okay ...so Oswalt said he was done after two innings. No one but Oswalt can say if he could go a third. I'm merely saying that if he wanted to protest his move to the pen he could have refused to pitch in relief instead of pitching his second straight 2 scoreless inning outing.

Ron and Roy make nice. Peace breaks out.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8245444/texas-rangers-roy-oswalt-clears-air-ron-washington

This part makes no sense:

But Oswalt also knew that he had to be ready to start on Sunday if needed, something Washington acknowledged. So Oswalt threw a long bullpen session Wednesday before being used in relief on Thursday and again Sunday.

It was after his second inning Sunday that Oswalt told the Rangers that he couldn't pitch a third inning.

Then again neither does the storyline now. Call rewrite

Ron and Roy make nice. Peace breaks out.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8245444/texas-rangers-roy-oswalt-clears-air-ron-washington

This part makes no sense:

Then again neither does the storyline now. Call rewrite

So he throws a long side session on Wednesday in anticipation of starting Sunday. Then he warms up and pitches 2 innings Thursday. He's off two days and then warms up and pitches 2 innings on Sunday. He's basically done at least one extra days throwing...What don't you get?

+What don't you get? Well he threw 9.1 innings and 1 side in 7 days. He has pitched a very short season of 8 total games. According to you the "soft toss"sides are lite practice-------------where is the over-load???? Face it, he had a JUST ME moment.

So he throws a long side session on Wednesday in anticipation of starting Sunday. Then he warms up and pitches 2 innings Thursday. He's off two days and then warms up and pitches 2 innings on Sunday. He's basically done at least one extra days throwing...What don't you get?

Primarily I don't get why it took Oswalt two days to come to out and say in effect "I'm happy to do whatever it takes to help the Texas Rangers". I also don't get why Ron Washington didn't lay out this scenario when first asked. If the reasons for Oswalt's refusal were discussed between himself and his manager at the time, and it wouldn't have taken long, why was Oswalt unavailable to the media until today and Washington unable to offer a thorough explanation for two days? There was no good reason for this story to take on the proportions it did, if all was right in Pleasantville.

Specifically in regard to the section I quoted, I don't understand why a long bullpen session followed by a 24-pitch outing the next day requires longer than 72 hours rest to go past 30 pitches. Pretty much the same question I've had all along. On Wednesday he readied himself to throw 100+ pitches on Sunday. But the 24 pitches thrown on Thursday now cuts his possible Sunday pitch count by over 70% even with three days rest? I don't buy the narrative.

Primarily I don't get why it took Oswalt two days to come to out and say in effect "I'm happy to do whatever it takes to help the Texas Rangers". I also don't get why Ron Washington didn't lay out this scenario when first asked. If the reasons for Oswalt's refusal were discussed between himself and his manager at the time, and it wouldn't have taken long, why was Oswalt unavailable to the media until today and Washington unable to offer a thorough explanation for two days? There was no good reason for this story to take on the proportions it did, if all was right in Pleasantville.

Specifically in regard to the section I quoted, I don't understand why a long bullpen session followed by a 24-pitch outing the next day requires longer than 72 hours rest to go past 30 pitches. Pretty much the same question I've had all along. On Wednesday he readied himself to throw 100+ pitches on Sunday. But the 24 pitches thrown on Thursday now cuts his possible Sunday pitch count by over 70% even with three days rest? I don't buy the narrative.

Why are starters that have to pitch in relief on a emergency basis usually skipped in the start?

Other than that we will agree to disagree.

+What don't you get? Well he threw 9.1 innings and 1 side in 7 days. He has pitched a very short season of 8 total games. According to you the "soft toss"sides are lite practice-------------where is the over-load???? Face it, he had a JUST ME moment.

Just read my previous post to you. He was averaging 5 ish innings per start if you look at his stat. He pitched 9 innings and a side session that a reliever wouldn't have pitched. And how many times did he warm up before entering those two games? As I have said he had 2 very good two inning relief appearances .... If he were protesting the bullpen role he would have refused to pitch in relief period... Not a third inning. Manager wanted to pitch a third inning .... Pitcher said he had enough.... Manager pissed off because he had to use another reliever and that pitcher losses game and is pissed off. He reacts harshly and against the policy he as in place about pitchers being tired. He sticks foot in mouth in post game interview and needs to back track later.

If you don't get that we will agree to disagree.

Archived