Schoenfield's ESPN Sweet Spot featuring the O's today

isestrex

I can accept certain positions based on "statistical analysis". I can accept it that people think the Yankees will hold us off. I can accept it if they think the A's, Angels, Rays, White Sox, or Detroit will hold us off for two WC spots. I don't think I can accept the prediction that we will totally collapse and finish with 70-75 wins. I don't think the on-field evidence supports this. Maybe if this game was played by automatons in a clean room it would be reasonable, but not in real life.

Last year we had probably the worst team in recent memory win the super bowl. Why is baseball suddenly immune to surprises and "luck teams"?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can accept certain positions based on "statistical analysis". I can accept it that people think the Yankees will hold us off. I can accept it if they think the A's, Angels, Rays, White Sox, or Detroit will hold us off for two WC spots. I don't think I can accept the prediction that we will totally collapse and finish with 70-75 wins. I don't think the on-field evidence supports this. Maybe if this game was played by automatons in a clean room it would be reasonable, but not in real life.

Last year we had probably the worst team in recent memory win the super bowl. Why is baseball suddenly immune to surprises and "luck teams"?

Who has said either of these? Can you cite to a single post?

Who has said either of these? Can you cite to a single post?

Referring to ESPN, et al. Not anyone here specifically. They did give the Red Sox better odds at postseason play than us. I don't care what the "stats" say, nobody reasonable can make that argument.

And there's a general tone of "no the O's can't" rather than a tone of "the probably won't, but it's possible". Which is fine, makes it all the more sweeter when pull it off. I remember how many people dismissed GMU's chances against UConn 6 and a half years ago. Look how that turned out.

Referring to ESPN, et al. Not anyone here specifically. They did give the Red Sox better odds at postseason play than us. I don't care what the "stats" say, nobody reasonable can make that argument.

I bet even SI would concede that their ridiculous rankings are based only on math and not on real life. Hopefully the O's sweep the Sox next week so we can change those odds once and for all.

I remember how many people dismissed GMU's chances against UConn 6 and a half years ago. Look how that turned out.

Not the same at all. It would be equivalent to dismissing GMU's chances against UConn in, like, a best of 25 series.

I think throwing around stats puts the fun in everything. What takes the fun out is the subset of fans who think their old-school way of looking at the game is the only approved method. Don't think too hard, might learn something you don't like.

I've never argued for stats to be discounted or taken less seriously as means of understanding the intricacies of the game. I believe that the cold adherence to statistical analyses will ignore things like desire and intestinal fortitude. There is no formula for that.

The world of statistical sports analysis is necessary for a variety of reasons. Although I have a friend who thinks that the increased emphasis on numbers in baseball and other sports is related to the exponential growth of sports betting (he also believes that fantasy sports are the gateway drug to sports betting), but who knows?

MSK

Not the same at all. It would be equivalent to dismissing GMU's chances against UConn in, like, a best of 25 series.

Well they did have to play a whole season to get to that point. It wasn't like they rolled up to the Verizon center one day and challenged them to a pick up game.

Regardless, my point is four and a half months of play and they're still here. The stats can't explain that, the stats say they shouldn't be here right now. So, why would I take stock in seemingly flawed statistical analysis regarding this particular team?

Sure they can. It's absolutely reasonable to think that the Red Sox are a better team than the Orioles and slightly more likely to get to the postseason. Just because we want something very badly doesn't mean we can ignore the odds.

A pythag isn't destiny and no one has ever argued that it is.

I agree with you, but I also wish to say this. It is NOT destiny. But many people have treated it like destiny's next door neighbor. If pythag ISN'T destiny then it would constantly be brought up as the tap-root reason for the Orioles inevitable collapse.

I agree that it isn't destiny and that sometimes, numbers can be misleading if looked at the wrong way.

Its a lot like WAR, yes it says a lot but WAR gets misused and overused a lot. I think pytahg is quickly becoming this.

Sure they can. It's absolutely reasonable to think that the Red Sox are a better team than the Orioles and slightly more likely to get to the postseason. Just because we want something very badly doesn't mean we can ignore the odds.

Boston has been flat all season save for a few small stretches. They're us in 1998. Seemingly talented, but just can't get anywhere. Sometimes looking good on paper doesn't mean success on the field.

Are they using the cumulative numbers of the season to date to calculate the odds of their future success? If so, I'd be interested in looking at how often teams play the first and second halves of the season fairly equally.

But see, the odds and life in this situation are saying different things.

Yes, pythag and run diff say the Sox are more likely to make the playoffs. But when you look at the on-the-field play of the teams I think it is hard to say the Sox are likely to put it all together. The Sox have not been able to get out of second gear all year, and they will need to get on a tear, while getting help from teams above, to get back into this race legitimately.

They may be a good week away from being right in it, but like every other 500 ish team right now, they are one bad week away from being buried.

Well they did have to play a whole season to get to that point. It wasn't like they rolled up to the Verizon center one day and challenged them to a pick up game.

Regardless, my point is four and a half months of play and they're still here. The stats can't explain that, the stats say they shouldn't be here right now. So, why would I take stock in seemingly flawed statistical analysis regarding this particular team?

"The stats", whatever those are, say no such thing. The stats don't talk in black and white, they express probabilities. No solid analysis would ever say that a true talent 72-win team can't win the World Series. It would simply say that is very unlikely. And the Orioles successes have been very unlikely. And (as we've said countless times) they don't get any more likely unless the team starts playing better. But there have been thousands of team-seasons in MLB history, so unlikely occasionally happens.

Archived