Soriano Rejects 5 years 70 Million from Nats

AgentOrange

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like the Nats will not be major players this winter. I'm not criticizing them. Just stating reality.

Wonder if this was a true offer? I mean that were they even expecting him to consider this or was this a offer to say to the fans "hey we tried". Figure they had a lot of egg on their face when they didn't trade him and stated it was because they wanted to resign him.

5 years 70 mill is a hell of a offer though.

If you check out our old friend Jorge's blog he quotes a friend of Soriano as saying he has no interest in the O's and wants to stay in the National League.

Here's the full chat:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/10/10/DI2006101000989.html

And the Soriano bit:

Rockville, Md.: Give me something to be hopeful/optimistic about for the O's in '07. Please!

Jorge Arangure Jr.: I wish I could. Until I see some major changes, I don't think '07 will be better than '06. I spoke to a friend of Alfonso Soriano who recently spoke to him. He said he doubted Soriano would ever sign with the Orioles and that Soriano seemed intent on signing with a National League team (San Diego? Los Angeles? Washington?). But the friend never mentioned Baltimore as a strong option.

Of course this doesn't mean Soriano won't sign with the Orioles, but Baltimore will surely have to way overbid everyone else to get him.

The Orioles could make some trades that could improve the lineup, but they'll have to give up some of that young pitching. We'll see if they do that.

And, by the way, he still doesn't dig the Hangout...

Rockville, Md.: So, how much longer until A-Rod is traded to the O's? How much longer until Mark Teixeira is traded to the O's? How much longer until Adam Dunn is traded to the O's?

Jorge Arangure Jr.: I think you've been reading too many silly Internet message boards.

Good news!!!!!!

Hopefully the Orioles know this and don't waste time on him.

Just watch. This will be Konerko all over again. We'll waste our entire offseason on him, then make a token, adequate-but-uninspiring, last minute offer and then shrug and say, "Hey, we gave it our best shot! He just didn't want to be here!"

No sh!t, Sherlock. (Haven't said that in about 10 years!)

If the Nationals fail to sign Soriano I think we can call this the first huge blunder of the Lerner regime down there. This guy needed to be traded, he was keeping up the good-guy fan-favorite act to not seem like a malcontent. 5/70 is a number that has been flaoted for him all year the Nats offer and he turns it down.

I would like to have Soriano, but at what cost? Would we be better off going after a Floyd or Dellucci? Hell, will Eric Byrnes be available? (just a thought)

After having a year like that, I wouldn't want to come back to the AL either.

Okay kiddos - who should the Orioles go after that meets the following criteria:

1) Is realistic

2) Improves us to at least above league average where we need it

3) Makes us an overall better team without hampering the development of youth

GO

Just watch. This will be Konerko all over again. We'll waste our entire offseason on him, then make a token, adequate-but-uninspiring, last minute offer and then shrug and say, "Hey, we gave it our best shot! He just didn't want to be here!"

No sh!t, Sherlock. (Haven't said that in about 10 years!)

We hardly wasted our "entire offsesason" on Konerko, we made him an offer and he turned it down. we then went on to sign the best FA catcher on the market, traded for a guy that led to a great comeback year, picked up a solid pitcher (who deserves more love on this board) ...and LaTroy Hawkins.

So one of those didn't work out. But last offseason this team was more active than it had been in a long while. We hardly spent our entire offseason on Konerko.

Archived