Soriano Rejects 5 years 70 Million from Nats

AgentOrange

5/70 puts him at $12 million a year. This is about what the Orioles signed Tejada for 3 years ago. Considering the market and the 3 years of inflation, why wouldn't he expect a bigger offer? He certainly is going to get from somebody.

I wonder if he would take more money per year in exchange for less years. 3/50 or something like that. Would anyone be more apt to sign him in a situation were he wouldn't be on the payroll when his age is slowing him down even if it means paying him much more per year?

Personal prediction: Signs the richest offer he gets regardless of the team and its around 6/85, just over $14 million per. Desperation will get the best of some poor franchise.

Umm... 70 divided by 5 equals 14.

If he's turning down $14 you have to think he's expecting $16 or $17 per for at least five years. That is pretty darn close to lunacy, even if you think he'll put you over the top in the next couple years.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is it that we shouldn't be willing to pay the going rate for premium free agents? This atitude will lead us to similar holes that we've have for the past 5 years.

Because teams like the Marlins, Twins and A's are showing it can be done without paying the market rate.. it's easier and faster to pay for other teams great players than to constantly grow your own... if you have the money and are willing to spend it.. It will be interesting to see if the Tigers lock up any of their young pitching soon... as well as the Angels with Weaver and perhaps Santana.. if they don't.. those guys will be in AL or NL East eventually.

Why is it that we shouldn't be willing to pay the going rate for premium free agents? This atitude will lead us to similar holes that we've have for the past 5 years.

For the same reason it was not wise to pay the going rate for Adrian Beltre. When the going rate for a free agent is so heavily influenced by a career year it is wiser to go elsewhere.

5/70 puts him at $12 million a year. This is about what the Orioles signed Tejada for 3 years ago. Considering the market and the 3 years of inflation, why wouldn't he expect a bigger offer? He certainly is going to get from somebody.

Soriano is not the same player Tejada is. He can steal more bases, but Tejada is equal or better in every other aspect of the game. Specifically, Tejada hits for significantly higher average, performs better in the clutch, has been a major contributor to a playoff team, and is more valuable defensively (this is still true but was much more pronounced at the time Tejada signed his contract).

Personal prediction: Signs the richest offer he gets regardless of the team and its around 6/85, just over $14 million per. Desperation will get the best of some poor franchise.

I just really hope the O's aren't that poor franchise. That contract would be an absolute disaster.

Its not that. Its more Soriano's age than anything. Soriano is the type of guy whos contract could become a big burden REAL fast. He knows this is his last big payday, halfway thorugh that 5-6 year deal he could be a shell of his former self.

Granted this is a risk that the Orioles might have to take. Soriano wouldn't be blocking any young studs or anything, he would add immediate legitimacy to the lineup and make Tejada and Gibbons better hitters and landing a big name like that would go a long way in the PR quagmire the Orioles are currently mired in.

There are risks and benefits to every decision and a million reasons to sign and not sign Soriano, and barring an Orioles WS win next year we could be debating the move/non move for a long time.

For the same reason it was not wise to pay the going rate for Adrian Beltre. When the going rate for a free agent is so heavily influenced by a career year it is wiser to go elsewhere.

Soriano has been a solid player even before his career year where Beltre had not been. I am all for getting Carlos Lee instead but I think we need one of them.

Exactly! Even after all of those great moves this team was still 22 games under .500. Other than breaking the bank on a Soriano and Schmidt. We're going to have to pray for a miracle like Detroit and our young arms all figure it out next year. Otherwise we're looking at another 70 win season.

We'd be hard pressed not to be able to improve on 650 OPS in LF and a 9-26 record from our #4 and #5 pitchers. I was going to mention 1B but then I noticed Millar had .811 OPS there, just .001 lower than the Mighty Kotchman in 2005. Also don't think the bullpen could be much worse. But then all those aging declining position players like Mora, Tejada, and Hernandez will be sure to make up the difference.

Because teams like the Marlins, Twins and A's are showing it can be done without paying the market rate.. it's easier and faster to pay for other teams great players than to constantly grow your own... if you have the money and are willing to spend it.. It will be interesting to see if the Tigers lock up any of their young pitching soon... as well as the Angels with Weaver and perhaps Santana.. if they don't.. those guys will be in AL or NL East eventually.

Agreed, but I would also suggest that 2 of those teams were helped tremendously by trading off high priced or soon-to-be high priced talent for many of their current young players. Which is why I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to overpay to sign someone like Soriano becaue you could trade him away later (like the Marlins did with Delgado) if he's too much of a drag on your payroll &/or the rest of the team doesn't develop as deisred to make it worth having him. I know this past year was a career year for him & we'd likely have to pay some $ if we ended up trading him later, but he's still a valuable chip to trade even at his career average stats. Just my 2 cents.

Realistically, I couldn't care less how Soriano costs. It's not my money and Angelos should be spending money to get the best players available and Soriano fits the bill. So I do want Soriano.

But then there is the likelyhood that Soriano will regress being that he's in his 30's and has just put up a career year in a walk year. See Javy Lopez. Soriano will be hard pressed to top these numbers, and I'd bet my salary that he won't ever top this season.

So while no one here would shead a tear if we did land Soriano, it's A) Never gonna happen, and B) more likely to be a disappointment based on his salary than what he'll produce over the course of the contract.

Archived