Soriano Rejects 5 years 70 Million from Nats

AgentOrange

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does being a fan-favorite have to do with wanting to get paid?

Exactly....he'll never spend the money hey makes on this contract if he manages it properly. I'm sure he'd rather make that money (and maybe even a little less) playing for a team that is a winner.

He was playing up the nice-guy role to drop the malcontent tag he picked up in the spring. He had no intention to stay in DC and it was a very bad mistake of the Nats not to trade him.

I agree, the Nats should have traded him -- that was an O's like move IMO.

But I still don't understand what being a nice guy and dropping the malcontent label he had before he came to WAS has to do with taking less money.

He thinks he's worth more and there is nothing wrong with that. That's why capitalism is great.

But I still don't understand what being a nice guy and dropping the malcontent label he had before he came to WAS has to do with taking less money.

He thinks he's worth more and there is nothing wrong with that. That's why capitalism is great.

If you really are serious about wanting to stay maybe you take a little bit less i.e., someone like Andruuw Jones

Im saying it was all an act. Without the malcontent label he wouldn't have that standing in the way. Plus he really kind of played the Nats, and their fans, for the remainder of the summer. People actually thought he was going to stay there.

Its more of an indictment of Soriano than the Nats.

He'd probably take a 5/70 deal to sign with the Yankees or any other winning team.

The O's will have to overpay for him then, correct? I mean, at some point the Orioles have to overpay for someone significant to show everyone in the baseball world that they are serious about contending. It may as well be him rather than Soriano because in the end you will be getting better bang for buck and it will probably be easier to land him, that's my opinion. I just don't see how it's possible to get some legit power unless you do this, otherwise you're trading away guys like Bedard for guys like Tex.

My belief is that we are about to go through a period in which salaries in general are going to skyrocket. So while it is true that Soriano is not as good as some others who have received $14-16 mm/year deals in the past, I think this is going to become the norm.

MLB attendance just broke its all time record for the 3rd year in a row. MLB.com is generating enormous revenue for every team. MASN and other reginal sports networks are sprouting up. The median team payroll in baseball has increased by about $18 mm over the last two seasons while all that's been happening. The Twins just exercised an option on Torii Hunter for $12 mm.

Free agent prices are headed up, and you can either play on that field and improve your team, or bury your head in the sand.

My belief is that we are about to go through a period in which salaries in general are going to skyrocket. So while it is true that Soriano is not as good as some others who have received $14-16 mm/year deals in the past, I think this is going to become the norm.

MLB attendance just broke its all time record for the 3rd year in a row. MLB.com is generating enormous revenue for every team. MASN and other reginal sports networks are sprouting up. The median team payroll in baseball has increased by about $18 mm over the last two seasons while all that's been happening. The Twins just exercised an option on Torii Hunter for $12 mm.

Free agent prices are headed up, and you can either play on that field and improve your team, or CONTINUE TO bury your head in the sand.

Inserted remark...

Free agent prices are headed up, and you can either play on that field and improve your team, or bury your head in the sand.

Or just as likely you can bury your team with bad free agent signings.

The Tigers have done OK in free agency. Their player development is why they are where they are. It's where we need to be and trying to buy your team makes player development that much more unlikely.

I'd argue that had Juan Gonzalez (turn downed $140m or so) not bailed them out, they wouldn't be where they are today.

Or just as likely you can bury your team with bad free agent signings. he Tigers have done OK in free agency. Their player development is why they are where they are. It's where we need to be and trying to buy your team makes player development that much more unlikely.

I can't fault the FO/Ownership for making an investment in players with a proven track record and then those players fail to perform.. in that scenario, the players are to blame.. currently, our FO/Ownership is to blame.. IMO

Is there a plethora of 100 mph pitchers to choose from year in and year out? The Tigers seem to have found 3-4 at the same time. Would be interesting to know what the Tigers signed these guys for and how that compare with how we tend to pay our signees..

I can't fault the FO/Ownership for making an investment in players with a proven track record and then those players fail to perform.. in that scenario, the players are to blame.. currently, our FO/Ownership is to blame.. IMO

That depends on how you define a proven track record and what you value.

For example, Soriano's track record suggests speed and power. It also suggests poor defense, lots of K's and horrendous plate discipline.

At his age, you figure the speed to become less and less of an asset every year however, if he stays in LF, you figure the defense to become a plus not a negative.

Lee's track record is health and consistency. But he is also in bad shape, is a por defensive player and is on the wrong side of 30.

Track record is one thing..Projecting a player out for the next 5 years is another.

Had the Gonzalez taken the $140m contract the Tigers had offered you wouldn't blame the FO when he got hurt and didn't perform? His history said he was fragile.

If a team gives Soriano a 6 year $96m contract and he tops out at an .825 OPS and drops below that as he ages you blame the player instead of the front office even though looking at his career it was forseeable?

While you may blame the players, IMO those are decisions that should get a GM fired.

That depends on how you define a proven track record and what you value.

For example, Soriano's track record suggests speed and power. It also suggests poor defense, lots of K's and horrendous plate discipline.

At his age, you figure the speed to become less and less of an asset every year however, if he stays in LF, you figure the defense to become a plus not a negative.

Lee's track record is health and consistency. But he is also in bad shape, is a por defensive player and is on the wrong side of 30.

Track record is one thing..Projecting a player out for the next 5 years is another.

I agree there are downsides to Lee and Soriano, I would prefer to trade for Burrell and Texiera but not at the expense of Bedard, Cabrera or Loewen. My definition of track record is are the numbers consistent over a 3 year period or longer. If they aren't, then they can't be considered reliable and the risk increases.

Archived