When is it time to start rooting for the Yankees?

Fired-Up

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking Fired-Up must have hit the character limit on his title or something.

I think what he meant to type is: "When is it time to start rooting for the Yankees to have an inner team brawl that leads to them all being DL'ed.

The Orioles need to be focused on winning games, not the WC. You win enough games and you win the division. I know how overly simplistic that sounds, but I think if the O's just put their heads down and play to win everything, that's the best way to reach the playoffs. At this point, you have no control over the rest of the teams unless you are playing them, so the only thing to do is try to control what you can, which are the games you play.

But if the Yankees lose and we win, then we can make the playoffs.

This. We are too close to them to "root" for them anymore. If they were still 10+ games ahead of us and had a schedule ahead of them full of contenders that were threatening to take our WC from us, and if the rest of the AL East weren't even close to competing with us in W:L, then sure, I'd "hope" (but not "root") for the Yankees to beat the other contenders to make our life easier.

But right now, if teams like the Angels or the Tigers or the White Sox or the Rangers can smack around the Yankees while we're winning, we could be in first place in the East before you know it. Especially if we beat some of the other east teams (such as the Red Sox coming up) to give us an even bigger berth in the east division.

I will never root for the Yankees. Ever. With that said, if they happen to beat other teams were competing for the wildcard with, I wouldn't be to distraught. :)

The Yankees play Tampa September 14-16, and Oakland September 21-23. Depending on the standings at the time, I could see myself rooting for the Yankees in those games if the O's are neck-and-neck with those teams for the wild card and the Yankees have a comfortable margin on us. For right now, though, it is too soon to be thinking that way.

Maybe ......... if I was surrounded by 75 criminally insane Yankee fans in Times Square, and they grabbed me, took me up to the 29th floor of a high-rise building, hung me outside outside of the window, and threatened to drop me onto the pavement below, I might say that I was rooting for the Yankees for one game to appease them. And then, 5 minutes after they let me go, I would scream "**** the Yankees," and go on my may.

On second thought ........ nah. I'd just let them drop me on the pavement, and I would die an Oriole fan.

Archived