Must Gary Thorne be a doomsday prophet?

Old_Bay_Oriole

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When people like to harp on Thorne for being excited when other teams hit home runs or nice plays, they conveniently forget the countless times he's made the call like he just gut punched. Probably because it fit their mood, too, and didn't register. He does, though. There's even been times when a homer has been a dagger that he barely even calls it. He's more of a homer announcer than you'd think, he knows who signs that check. But he's also not captain of the SS Lollipop.

When people like to harp on Thorne for being excited when other teams hit home runs or nice plays, they conveniently forget the countless times he's made the call like he just gut punched. Probably because it fit their mood, too, and didn't register. He does, though. There's even been times when a homer has been a dagger that he barely even calls it. He's more of a homer announcer than you'd think, he knows who signs that check. But he's also not captain of the SS Lollipop.

I'd like to think there's room for an announcer to be a homer just because he loves the team, not necessarily because he's a corporate lapdog.

I think who you like is who you grew up with. I was out in LA ,a couple of years ago and Scully was broadcasting on the radio. He was to me dull and boring. I think it is all subjective. My mom.grew up with Phil Rizzutto and he was one of the biggest homers but she really liked him. I know people who love John Sterling and people who hate him. I think Miller and Angel were entertaining on the radio. I like Thorne and Palmer together on TV< Go ;isten to some other broadcasts and see what they are like.

I'd like to think there's room for an announcer to be a homer just because he loves the team, not necessarily because he's a corporate lapdog.

I think you also are around the team you broadcast for alot more then the other team. This will also help you root for your team a little more because you know the guys personally. I think Thorne is really fond of Buck. You can tell in the interviews.

I think who you like is who you grew up with. I was out in LA ,a couple of years ago and Scully was broadcasting on the radio. He was to me dull and boring. I think it is all subjective. My mom.grew up with Phil Rizzutto and he was one of the biggest homers but she really liked him. I know people who love John Sterling and people who hate him. I think Miller and Angel were entertaining on the radio. I like Thorne and Palmer together on TV< Go ;isten to some other broadcasts and see what they are like.

I agree with this. I grew up with Rizzuto, Bill White, and Frank Messer on WPIX, and Lindsey Nelson, Ralph Kiner, and Bob Murphy on WWOR, and I loved those 2 trios.

I'm speaking fairly specifically. We all know Thorne is not a local guy, and did national stuff before doing our PBP. I'm sure he does have some affection for the team, but as much as I hated him because he's a hack, Reghi faked that affection, and he's all over the nuts of Cleveland.

I'm speaking fairly specifically. We all know Thorne is not a local guy, and did national stuff before doing our PBP. I'm sure he does have some affection for the team, but as much as I hated him because he's a hack, Reghi faked that affection, and he's all over the nuts of Cleveland.

"the shrill shill of swill" - horrible commentator

Well, right. I grew up listening to Chuck Thompson, who loved the team and was sort of a homer (in an understated way, so it was actually pleasant and not annoying). But there's only one Chuck Thompson. Palmer loves the Orioles more than just about anyone, but he's not a homer. Reghi was a homer, but he didn't love the O's. Hunter and Dempsey love the O's and are homers, but unfortunately they aren't very good announcers.

Thorne is just a quality announcer, and that's good enough for me. And I should also point out that the most excited I've ever heard Thorne, by a factor of about 2, was when Andino got the walk off hit in game 162 last year.

Offensive to who ??? Waldman is an annoying announcer, which is essentially what the subject of the thread is. Others have compared Thorne to Ken Harrelson, Jim Hunter, etc. She was nauseatingly over the top with Clemens' comeback here, as she was when Joe Torre had managed his last game as a Yankee in my following post.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke. I think he meant you were linking offensive material.

Archived