Machado at 3B

Frobby

They are 11 over right now with a run differential worse than -30, so why would you think it would be hard to get one more over .500 if we outscored our opponents by 10+ runs over the final 45 games?

I don't have a hard time believing that's possible, but hoosier's question was worded kind of oddly - saying that if they were worse than -10 they'd be at least 12 games over .500. That includes a set of possibilities where that outcome is very unlikely, like if they were -100 over the next 40 games he'd still bet they were +12 over .500.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Compounding the felony on the bad call at 1B last night, the official scorer gave Machado an error on that play. Are you kidding me?

Unreal. Betemit would have been lucky to get a glove on that ball. Ugh, I'm still fuming about this. Watching the Detroit feed on MLB.tv, even their broadcasters were confused and think the game should be under protest.

Compounding the felony on the bad call at 1B last night, the official scorer gave Machado an error on that play. Are you kidding me?

Palmer had the right reaction, basically saying it doesn't matter what some guy in the press box calls it, the end result is a guy on first. Most of the modern metrics won't budge much (if at all) when rating Machado on that play. Wilson Betemit wouldn't have come within 20 feet of that ball, it just would have been scored a double.

Palmer had the right reaction, basically saying it doesn't matter what some guy in the press box calls it, the end result is a guy on first. Most of the modern metrics won't budge much (if at all) when rating Machado on that play. Wilson Betemit wouldn't have come within 20 feet of that ball, it just would have been scored a double.

I hear you, but the definition of an error is failing to make a play that can be made without "extraordinary effort". That was pretty clearly not a play you would expect most 3B to make, and far from routine. Plus, the runner was effin' out.

I hear you, but the definition of an error is failing to make a play that can be made without "extraordinary effort". That was pretty clearly not a play you would expect most 3B to make, and far from routine. Plus, the runner was effin' out.

Thus one of the failings of the error rule and definition. An extraordinary effort has massively different results for different players. Chris Davis could make an extraordinary effort on a ball in left he doesn't even reach that a better defender would be standing and waiting for.

By the way, Machado has a UZR/150 of +62.1. I love small sample sizes! He really has looked good over there, though.

Remember the wildcard rule - some data is always better than none, even if the sample is too small for an electron microscope to see. So I'm going with the assumption that Machado is six wins/year better than an average 3B with the glove. Combine that with his 1.000 OPS and he's Honus freakin' Wagner!

Remember the wildcard rule - some data is always better than none, even if the sample is too small for an electron microscope to see. So I'm going with the assumption that Machado is six wins/year better than an average 3B with the glove. Combine that with his 1.000 OPS and he's Honus freakin' Wagner!

I will settle for Cal Ripken, circa 1983. Honestly, I can't remember the last time a highly regarded Orioles prospect had this good a start. I'd be lying if I said I'm not dreaming on what this kid might be. Tulowitzki?

One of the best things about Manny, to me, is his ceiling. Talk about sky's the limit, I think he makes that throw right on the money to 1B 8/10 times. Not that it's an easy throw, but he has a cannon for an arm.

Ok, so maybe it's hard to bat for power better than his first three games, but he hasn't slowed down that much, just a little less power.

He can slump a little with the bat (to be expected) and still give us outstanding fielding at 3B. Exciting times in birdland.

What impresses me the most about Machado is his presence at the plate. He doesn't chase bad pitches. He gets fooled by good pitcher's pitches, as every good hitter will, but he looks light years ahead of Adam Jones 3 years ago, and for that matter even today, IMO.

I will settle for Cal Ripken, circa 1983. Honestly, I can't remember the last time a highly regarded Orioles prospect had this good a start. I'd be lying if I said I'm not dreaming on what this kid might be. Tulowitzki?

Ever since we drafted him, that's who I've heard him compared to... and since I've seen him, it's looking more and more like it. Although, Manny has a lot more to prove with the glove if he's going to be as solid as Tulo.

Archived