Mazzone: Then I went to Baltimore....

Fan4Life

I wasn't sure whether this deserved a thread, but I was taken aback this morning when Mike and Mike interviewed Mazzone this morning to get his take on a few things but the Redsox chaos being the topic at hand.

He essentially said what the Redsox are going through now, is what he found when he landed in Baltimore. An organization with no hierarchy of authority, anyone could question anything. No accountability. Obviously his experience in Atlanta was just the opposite.

What I noticed most was the anger I heard in his voice as he spoke about his experience in Baltimore. Really has left a BAD taste in his mouth that was still fresh there this morning. However, I tend to believe his account but would have preferred a more professional account in his Under-the-Bus-Throwing of Baltimore on a national radio show, as well as at least attempting to point out that things may not be that way any more.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I wasn't shocked that I learned anything new about the organization, but I had to wonder what the conversation was like between Perlozzo and Mazzone that Mazzone could find himself in such a situation. Did Perlozzo over-sell the wonders of being an Oriole?

I think, while everyone knows what the situation was here, he was mainly pissed about the firing of his buddy Sam Perlozzo. by the way, I don't think he made a whole lot of adjustments in Atlanta's staff, while in Baltimore, well you can't make chicken salad out of chicken st.

I've got a lot of colleagues and friends that are Bostonians and I've told them since the end of last year the Sox reflected the Orioles we've known and loved under Angelos. I'm holding my breath that with the hiring of Buck and DD that the O's have turned the corner as an organization. But the Sox sure have all the look and feel of the Orioles of the late 90's. A former model franchise that is loaded with bloated contracts, a thin minor league system and political in fighting at every corner. I have no issue with what Leo had to say. The truth hurts. But here's to hoping the Buck-DD era brings the O's back to prominence.

My wife texted me on her way to work (don't ask) to tell me about Mazzone on M&M. My response was..."why is he bringing this up now?"

With all due respect, Leo is a has-been and his opinion truly means nothing to me. Why he felt the need to bash the Orioles at a time when we are tied for the WC lead can only be described as being a bitter old man. But, I guess his agenda fits in with what ESPN is looking for!

As I've mentioned before, the Perlozzo camp is BITTER BITTER BITTER about what happened to Sam.

I think some things had to have gone on behind the scenes that just made Sam feel completely disrespected by the club.

Remember his son made comments earlier in the year about rooting for the Orioles to fail, Mazzone can't seem to let it go, and I've seen a few other reports from friends of Perlozzo that are just beyond the normal amount of angst you'd hear from a former employee.

My wife texted me on her way to work (don't ask) to tell me about Mazzone on M&M. My response was..."why is he bringing this up now?"

With all due respect, Leo is a has-been and his opinion truly means nothing to me. Why he felt the need to bash the Orioles at a time when we are tied for the WC lead can only be described as being a bitter old man. But, I guess his agenda fits in with what ESPN is looking for!

Easy on the old man stuff, I think he's about my age. lol.

Because it applies to what is going on in Boston right now.

It's water under the bridge. It was over 5 years ago. It's not like he's holding press conferences to bash the Orioles. He is just saying, "this was similar to what is happening in Boston".

I've got a lot of colleagues and friends that are Bostonians and I've told them since the end of last year the Sox reflected the Orioles we've known and loved under Angelos. I'm holding my breath that with the hiring of Buck and DD that the O's have turned the corner as an organization. But the Sox sure have all the look and feel of the Orioles of the late 90's. A former model franchise that is loaded with bloated contracts, a thin minor league system and political in fighting at every corner. I have no issue with what Leo had to say. The truth hurts. But here's to hoping the Buck-DD era brings the O's back to prominence.

They don't have a thin minor league system.

Good point. I thought it was kind of weird that they would have him on so long after he has been active, especially when he hasn't really made any other appearances. I guess the criteria was: 1. Will you talk about the Red Sox; 2. Will you bash the Orioles.

Leo is a current radio talk show host in Atlanta. Mike and Mike brought him on to talk about Steven Strausburg's innings limit but asked him about the situation in Boston first.

Here's a transcription of the beginning part of that conversation:

------

"It all starts at the top, it's called the chain of command. And with the chain of command I got to expirence both ends of it. When I was with the Atlanta Braves there was a chain of command that was in place, that was never broken. It was never broken by the players. It started with ownership, with Ted Turner, then it started with the general manager, with John Schuerholz, then Manager Bobby Cox, then the coaching staff and the players. So you had a chain of command that was never broken.

Then I go to Baltimore and find out why they're losing. The chain of command was always broken... where players got to voice their displeasure to the front office which took away the power of the manager and nobody really knew who was running what. Basically what it was, was a bunch of players finding excuses for losing. So this is what's going on."

*Golic chimes in with some babble and a question ending with "doesn't the onus fall on the players to just get the job done?"*

"Absolutely they do. We had situations in Atlanta where if you didn't act a certain way or play a certain way you were gone... or you were told 'this is the way it's going to be'. Then when I went to another organization, it was, 'oh why are we doing this?' and questioning everything, and 'how come we're doing this and how come we're doing that?'

So they bring in Bobby Valentine to change the atmosphere there. And I know Bobby, I've known him a long time, and he's very... he's different, ok *laughing*. But you know what, he's one of the brightest individuals I've ever been around, one of the smartest guys I've ever been around. And I think he knows exactly what he's doing. And I think back on it, I remember what Pedroia said that one time, he said "We don't do things this way around here." Oh we don't, huh?! Well you're not winning, you're not doing this and you're not doing that... I think it goes back to what's going on in the clubhouse and I do put it on the players, and I do think there are certain ways to handle it and certain approaches to take. You have to be in the clubhouse to really experience it... but... it all starts at the top."

*Greeny then turns the discussion to Strausburg.*

Archived