Mazzone: Then I went to Baltimore....

Fan4Life

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mazzone was one of the team's leaders when they were rudderless, does he ever accept responsibility or does he just whine about the way things were?

Many times I've taken over departments that were adrift, applied structure and discipline, and achieved results. I guess I could have whined and sniveled too, but that is not how management works. One must manage.

I can't believe this d-bag Mazzone still can't let go and is bad-mouthing Baltimore. A friend of mine in Atlanta told me that he's a regular member of a local morning sports talk show and bad-mouths the Orioles every chance he gets.

Such a douche.

Wow.

A real d-bag is a guy who beats his wife or hurts kids. Mazzone hated his experiences here and spoke about them. He didn't say it in a way we liked but he wasn't lying.

MSK

The O's player development has been a circus of stupidity for 14 years. Mazzone was a competent, if not exceptional pitching coach. If homers want to bash Mazzone for describing it accurately so be it. But the pitching development remains a problem to this day, with the clash between Buck/Adair and DD/Peterson, and the struggles of their three most promising young SP. Stay tuned.

IIRC, and it's been a while, there was talk here on this board that the Orioles were very dissatisfied with Mazzone his first year, and there was a semi-joking conversation between GMs about trading pitching coaches with the Mets (whose PC was Rick Peterson).

That said, he probably is responsible for putting Guthrie's career on track (after we claimed him on waivers), and it looked like he was doing the same with Loewen before the injury.

I live in Metro Atlanta and Leo has a regular spot on the morning show of one of the sportstalk radio stations here. He definitely dislikes the Orioles and takes just about every opportunity that he has to make this known to the listening audience.

This is exactly what my friend in Atlanta is telling me. We fans criticize the Orioles because we love the team and want them to do well. Mazzone simply hates the Orioles period.

The O's player development has been a circus of stupidity for 14 years. Mazzone was a competent, if not exceptional pitching coach. If homers want to bash Mazzone for describing it accurately so be it. But the pitching development remains a problem to this day, with the clash between Buck/Adair and DD/Peterson, and the struggles of their three most promising young SP. Stay tuned.

True.

Sometimes we miss the obvious in defense of what? The Os integrity?

MSK

Mazzone was here for two years. '06-'07.

And correct me if I'm wrong but he gave up a pretty good gig in Atlanta to come join Perlozzo's staff. It's been all down hill from there for him. I really don't blame him for being bitter about it. And if you haven't walked a day in his shoes....Well I've worked for a dictator in a previous position that I loved and made by far the best money of my professional career. I watched him run off some solid producing individuals with ridiculous nonsense. Eventually I had to leave doing something I was the best at to get away from a very pathetic human being. So I clearly understand what Mr. Mazzone was saying. Knowing how big a mess the Orioles were back then I have no trouble believing what a bad place to work . And wouldn't be at all surprised if the players went straight to Angelos based on who the GM was.

Mazzone is bitter about Baltimore and other things. The bitterness extends well beyond what could be considered normal or reasonable. He is so bitter that he tends to be difficult to be around for significant periods of time.

[*]In case you're wondering how I know so much, Mazzone can't keep his mouth shut even to a person that he may have known for years but who isn't a good friend.

As usual you hit a bulls-eye. I had to chuckle somewhat when I read these last few parts as he wasn't discussing Baltimore with M&M very long, but you could have ascertained the information you point out above in those few moments.

The main problem with Mazzone and his continued comments about Baltimore, is that while they may be true...he never puts any blame on himself. So in the end he just sounds like a bitter old man who is constantly blaming others for his own failings.

The main problem with Mazzone and his continued comments about Baltimore, is that while they may be true...he never puts any blame on himself. So in the end he just sounds like a bitter old man who is constantly blaming others for his own failings.

This. I agree with the man that we had a bad organization at the time he was here. A little bit of research on his part should have told him that even before he came here.

But, to keep on bashing over and over again really doesn't look good on him.

Wow.

A real d-bag is a guy who beats his wife or hurts kids. Mazzone hated his experiences here and spoke about them. He didn't say it in a way we liked but he wasn't lying.

MSK

I agree. I wish some former GM would speak out about his experiences here during the meddling and the losing

I agree. I wish some former GM would speak out about his experiences here during the meddling and the losing

I think Pat Gillick did a bit about the former, and Frank Wren about both. In fact, Angelos took Wren to court for violating a non-disclosure agreement. Which may be why people aren't speaking out.

Archived