Redsox lose cool

duffaphonic

As an O's fan, I'll take an out any way I can get it. But as a pro ball player, I'd think that's bush league crap. I can see why he's uppset... it's trickeration and deception, not playing baseball.

What exactly was bush league or trickeration or deception?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an O's fan, I'll take an out any way I can get it. But as a pro ball player, I'd think that's bush league crap. I can see why he's uppset... it's trickeration and deception, not playing baseball.

Gonzalez was in the batters box and set. If the delivery is different, well...tough. If he was not ready for the pitch, maybe he should have asked for time and stepped out of the batters box. I see nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't if the shoe was on the other foot. If you are in the batters box, be ready for the ball.

Except every single pitcher does it. It's baseball, not the feelings hour.
Like Palmer said during the broadcast, should we also outlaw curveballs?
What exactly was bush league or trickeration or deception?
Gonzalez was in the batters box and set. If the delivery is different, well...tough. If he was not ready for the pitch, maybe he should have asked for time and stepped out of the batters box. I see nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't if the shoe was on the other foot. If you are in the batters box, be ready for the ball.

This reminded me somewhat of the Mayweather/Ortiz fight a while back when Mayweather KO'd Ortiz with the legal combo cheapshot after the Ortiz headbutt. Allowed by the letter of the law in the sport, but the general consensus was that it was a cheapshot, right?

Like I said, Gonzo and the Sox can go suck a lemon because they have not grounds to be upset other than that it's kind of a BS move. I agree with you guys and I agree with Palmer, but I can understand the frustration at the same time.

This reminded me somewhat of the Mayweather/Ortiz fight a while back when Mayweather KO'd Ortiz with the legal combo cheapshot after the Ortiz headbutt. Allowed by the letter of the law in the sport, but the general consensus was that it was a cheapshot, right?

Like I said, Gonzo and the Sox can go suck a lemon because they have not grounds to be upset other than that it's kind of a BS move. I agree with you guys and I agree with Palmer, but I can understand the frustration at the same time.

I guess I can somewhat understand the frustration, but it is very legal and it happens all the time. I personally don't even think it is that close to the line. If the Sox were doing better as a team, I don't think this happens. But things are starting to bubble over. I don't think we would pitch that much of a fit if they step out of the box when one of our pitchers is in his windup, which to me is a much worse offense.

If you agree with us then how do you understand the Red Sox frustrations? That would imply that Strop did something wrong, so I would again ask what that was?

Gonzalez should be frustrated, but only at himself.

"The rule needs to be stated better because obviously I wasn't even set. I was just sitting there waiting for him to come set so I can get into my stance."

The problem is that he was waiting for Strop to come set, not that Strop didn't come set. It's just blaming somebody else for his failure.....which seems pretty consistent among the Red Sox this year.

Don't put both feet in the box if you're not ready. There's no way an umpire can argue that you're not ready if you're in the box. Find me a baseball player who keeps both feet in the box and isn't ready.

Strop doesn't have to come set in the windup if no one is on base.

If you agree with us then how do you understand the Red Sox frustrations? That would imply that Strop did something wrong, so I would again ask what that was?

Their season is going down the toilet more and more everyday, they hate their manager, and just want the season to be over at this point. Add to that that they're on the road in a place that used to be where they'd go to get healthy and back on track, and now we're spanking them out of town, on the verge of a sweep. So, being anoyed and looking for a fight already, Strop gets cute and makes his quick pitch move. It's allowed, but annoying to the competition. He's probably just as frustrated with himself as he is with Strop and/or the umpire. I'm not sure how else to explain it. No implication that Strop did anything wrong whatsoever, so don't go putting words in my mouth. You hold a pretty black and white stance on the issue, and I find that there's plenty of grey area.

Gonzalez should be frustrated, but only at himself.

The problem is that he was waiting for Strop to come set, not that Strop didn't come set. It's just blaming somebody else for his failure.....which seems pretty consistent among the Red Sox this year.

I don't understand his beef. Strop was set...

Seriously, why does it seem like every Red Sox player or coach whines like a little *****?

Their season is going down the toilet more and more everyday, they hate their manager, and just want the season to be over at this point. Add to that that they're on the road in a place that used to be where they'd go to get healthy and back on track, and now we're spanking them out of town, on the verge of a sweep. So, being anoyed and looking for a fight already, Strop gets cute and makes his quick pitch move. It's allowed, but annoying to the competition. I'm not sure how else to explain it. No implication that Strop did anything wrong whatsoever, so don't go putting words in my mouth. You hold a pretty black and white stance on the issue, and I find that there's plenty of grey area.

Actually I'm not putting any words in your mouth. I'm asking you for more words. I want you to clarify what you mean? How was Strop being cute? What quick pitch move? What grey area?

Actually I'm not putting any words in your mouth. I'm asking you for more words. I want you to clarify what you mean? How was Strop being cute? What quick pitch move? What grey area?

Now you're just being dense on purpose, and I'm not going to bite again. If in the several illustrative posts I've made in the thread you still don't understand my point, you won't.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Now you're just being dense on purpose, and I'm not going to bite again. If in the several illustrative posts I've made in the thread you still don't understand my point, you won't.

Agree to disagree I guess.

No one is being dense. From your very first post in the thread I have asked to elaborate and clarify your argument. You've simply repeated what you already said. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to understand what you think was deceptive, trickeration, quick pitch, bush league, frustrating, etc about what Strop did?

I don't understand his beef. Strop was set...

Seriously, why does it seem like every Red Sox player or coach whines like a little *****?

He wasn't set...but he doesn't have to be with nobody on base. He was on the rubber, though, which means he can start pitching whenever he feels like. It's not like he put his foot on the rubber, and then threw the ball. That would be illegal.

No implication that Strop did anything wrong whatsoever, so don't go putting words in my mouth.

In your original statement on the subject, you said that it was bush league crap, trickeration, deception, and that it wasn't playing baseball. That sounds like pretty strong implications that in your mind, Strop did something wrong.

Archived