With 45 games to go, .400 ball gets us to .500+

Frobby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I like about it is that we are done with the Yankees after Labor Day and the schedule gets SLIGHTLY easier, especially if Toronto and Boston have mailed it in by the end of the year.

I like that, except that playing the Yankees when we are 2 games back at the end of September could have been beneficial.

Those end of the year Bos series worry me. Wouldn't they love nothing more than to rain on our parade?

Except, if they were to knock us out, we should still be over .500 for the first time in 14 seasons. Our fans will be happier than a pig in poop unlike the VA. saux last year who acted like their just dog died. Sure they got "used to winning" but, thats not the point. There will be a standing O' at the last home game either way. People will be going apetit during the last home stand and if we're still in it look out!

This could be considered 3rd the greatest season sinse 89' IMO.

What I like about it is that we are done with the Yankees after Labor Day and the schedule gets SLIGHTLY easier, especially if Toronto and Boston have mailed it in by the end of the year.

Wouldn't it be awesome if their Bedards and Guthries and Adam Joneses were on the DL all September, and they were playing Victor Santos and Luis Lopez and Adam Stern and Jon Leicester all month?

FYI our last scheduled game against the Yankees is on Sep 9, about a week after Labor Day.

We can get to 25 more wins by playing exactly the way we have so far vs our remaining schedule.

Bos (7 games left) * .727 Win % against = 5 wins

Det (3 games left) * .333 Win % against = 1 win

Tex (3 games left) * .250 Win % against = 1 win

Tor (9 games left) * .556 Win % against = 5 wins

CWS (4 games left) * .750 Win % against = 3 wins

NYY (7 games left) * .455 Win % against = 3 wins

TB (6 games left) * .500 Win % against = 3 wins

SEA (3 games left) * .833 Win % against = 2 wins

OAK (3 games left) * .500 Win % against = 2 win

We can get to 25 more wins by playing exactly the way we have so far vs our remaining schedule.

Det (3 games left) * .333 Win % against = 1 win

OAK (3 games left) * .500 Win % against = 2 win

This post is rep-worthy, but I don't have any more to spend.

How does 26 more wins assure a playoff spot?

Assuming the O's get to 90 - 72, FOUR of the following things would have to happen for the O's to miss the playoffs;

Yanks go 21 - 23 (probably, but they'd still have to do it)

Rays go 28 - 17

White Sox go 27 - 19 and Tigers go 28 - 16 (if only one does, they win their division and don't affect the O's playoff chances)

Rangers go 23 - 22

Oakland goes 30 - 16

Angels go 29 - 15

Relatively likely the Rangers and Yanks hit their marks, but it's not a certainty. And getting two other teams (or 3 teams in the event the Tigers / ChiSox hit their marks) to play over .600 ball for over 6 weeks, especially when all these teams are playing each other, would be nigh impossible.

So 90 wins is almost certain to get the O's into the playoffs.

Det (3 games left) * .333 Win % against = 1 win (Actual = 2 wins)

OAK (3 games left) * .500 Win % against = 2 wins

1 game ahead of pace right now.

Not to be overly technical, but Labor Day is September 3, and our four-game home series with the Yankees is September 6-9. You certainly are right that it will be nice to be done with them with 3.5 weeks left in the season.

Archived