Dan Duquette on O's pitching philosophy: "We don't like the cutter"

Orsino

The funny thing is, you actually are mis-reading it. In 2008 (2.78 ERA), it says 40.7% FB to 33% CT, followed by 2009(2.79 ERA): 31%FB to 41%CT, and 2 of the next 3 years more CT than FB

I'm really not trying to get into arguments, just saying it has been done.

LJ is correct I was looking at Pitch FX..

That said, over Halladay's career, the split is 46% FB to 24% CT using Pitch Type.

He use of the cutter has trended upwards. So looking at it from Pitch Type, I think you can make the argument that Halladay is a successful pitcher with the cutter being his main pitch.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the philosophy of shelving the cutter in the minors to have the young pitchers focus more on FB and secondary pitch command. I can't imagine this translates into the majors. I mean, are they going to tell a major league pitcher that he can't throw the cutter? If the pitcher wants to throw a cutter in a given situation and Wieters isn't putting up the right sign he will just shake him off or call him to the mound until they are on the same page.

This seems much ado about nothing and strictly a teaching philosophy for our minor league pitchers.

I just don't really understand why you'd want to disarm a ballplayer from using a strength.

It'd be like if you had high average hitter coming up, a highly regarded prospect who was extremely adept at going to the opposite field for base hits. You'd never tell that guy "We don't want you to hit to the opposite field anymore, our organizational philosophy is that you should pull the ball all the time."

If Bundy thinks the cutter is his best pitch and doesn't rely on it too heavily, there's no good reason why he shouldn't be able to throw it in a key situation. I don't think he should necessarily throw it to every batter but Frobby made the point earlier that Bedard used his when batters were looking for something else, like his hammer.

If you're a starting pitcher and starting to go through the lineup for a third time, to me it'd be beneficial to have another pitch in your back pocket that you can rely on and keep hitters who haven't seen it much (if at all) off balance.

Because every form of strength disguises a weakness.

Fleshing Bundy's arsenal out, and keeping him from growing over-reliant on a pitch that can have negative effects on his other stuff, seems like good developmental strategy.

Looked at in that light, wouldn't you agree?

You know, I've never crapped on Law like some just cause he disses the O's, but he really is a douche. Is it really an "insane" statement that DD made? Of course it isn't.

"

Its "insane" if you read it quickly like Law probably did and think he is saying that no one in he organization will ever be allowed to throw a cutter. Of course, DD didn't say that. In addition, whenever they talk about Bundy they say they have taken the cutter away to let him develop other pitches. If they were taking it away completely, forever, he would not be allowed to throw it in side-sessions and they would say he isn't allowed to throw the cutter.

This seems much ado about nothing and strictly a teaching philosophy for our minor league pitchers.

Except that he states clearly that it doesn't work in the majors. My assumption all along was that he wasn't using the cutter because the O's wanted him to work the curveball and the change and the reason was they didn't want him dominating using soley his cutter. Now it appears they don't want him using the cutter because they don't think it works at the major league level. Those are two different things...

Its "insane" if you read it quickly like Law probably did and think he is saying that no one in he organization will ever be allowed to throw a cutter. Of course, DD didn't say that. In addition, whenever they talk about Bundy they say they have taken the cutter away to let him develop other pitches. If they were taking it away completely, forever, he would not be allowed to throw it in side-sessions and they would say he isn't allowed to throw the cutter.

My point exactly. Law leaves a lot to be desired as an "analyst."

As a source of pithy one-liners, he's unmatched.

Except that he states clearly that it doesn't work in the majors. My assumption all along was that he wasn't using the cutter because the O's wanted him to work the curveball and the change and the reason was they didn't want him dominating using soley his cutter. Now it appears they don't want him using the cutter because they don't think it works at the major league level. Those are two different things...

He believes it doesn't work if leaned upon too heavily. There's a difference.

Because every form of strength disguises a weakness.

Fleshing Bundy's arsenal out, and keeping him from growing over-reliant on a pitch that can have negative effects on his other stuff, seems like good developmental strategy.

Looked at in that light, wouldn't you agree?

I don't buy that as a hard and fast rule. I think you can improve on perceived weaknesses while still maintaining strengths.

I don't see how throwing the cutter a little bit (mind you, I'm not talking about it as something he throws 50% of the time or anywhere close) could hamper development of a curve or a changeup so long as the curve and changeup were getting more focus than the cutter.

I'm not talking about being over-reliant here...I'm not talking about using the cutter to every batter in every plate appearance.

In essence what I'm saying is that I don't understand why he can't throw it when he feels the need to in order to keep a feel for the pitch.

Well, you have to look at it relative to other pitches, how it's used, and what kinds of pitchers generally use it.

And you know Duquette hasn't done this because?

He's a busy man giving a quickie interview to a sports reporter. He is not presenting a research paper at an academic conference or arguing a difficult court case.

Even before taking the Orioles job, he was giving lectures around the country on the use of statistical analysis in baseball. Now, I don't know for sure that he has examined the issue in greater statistical detail.

But I wouldn't want to bet against it.

True. But especially Duquette for whatever reason. Really thinks he's totally crazy. Which he might be, but give the man some credit.

Maybe. I just know Law is pretty crappy, so it isn't really fair to feel singled out.

If DD's crazy, he's been crazy like a fox so far. I'll take it- for now. :)

I don't buy that as a hard and fast rule. I think you can improve on perceived weaknesses while still maintaining strengths.

I don't see how throwing the cutter a little bit (mind you, I'm not talking about it as something he throws 50% of the time or anywhere close) could hamper development of a curve or a changeup so long as the curve and changeup were getting more focus than the cutter.

I'm not talking about being over-reliant here...I'm not talking about using the cutter to every batter in every plate appearance.

In essence what I'm saying is that I don't understand why he can't throw it when he feels the need to in order to keep a feel for the pitch.

And, again, that's the whole point. Where did DD say, or what evidence is there in the fact that we have 2/5ths of our rotation who throw the cutter, this is something hard and fast?

I have no problem with Bundy focusing on his fastball command and the development of better breaking pitches.

Mariano Rivera may have the best cutter, but he is also a closer, the Orioles need to Bundy to be a starter so he needs to focus on those other things. I doubt he forgets how to throw the cutter while developing his other pitches.

Archived