Chris Davis is a Keeper

brianod

Im confused as to why its either/or in regards to Davis and Reynolds? Reynolds has proven he's capable at 1b. Davis is worth keeping around for his bat. Id have no issues going into 2013 with Reynolds at 1b, and Davis DH. I wouldn't be upset if Reynolds was signed to a 3/24 deal, and I think Reynolds is happy here and would do that in a heartbeat.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im confused as to why its either/or in regards to Davis and Reynolds? Reynolds has proven he's capable at 1b. Davis is worth keeping around for his bat. Id have no issues going into 2013 with Reynolds at 1b, and Davis DH. I wouldn't be upset if Reynolds was signed to a 3/24 deal, and I think Reynolds is happy here and would do that in a heartbeat.

I am the one that said either/or. I don't think we have to choose. Just saying if I had to choose which one I wanted to keep, it would be Reynolds.

While I appreciate Davis's effort tonight and his effort overall, I just don't see a very good player (1b/DH/LF) here. I'm not impressed there is that much upside left considering his pretty obvious flaws and performance to date. While I understand he's still relatively cheap, I'd personally look to trade him to a team that might be impressed with his HR totasl and aspire to do better next year.

Chris davis is definitely young and there's no reason to not keep him. When he's hot, he's on fire and the fact that he is a left handed bat who can play the corner infield and outfield positions is huge. He needs to learn to be more patient, take more pitches and stop striking out so much. It get's a little fustrating watching him swing at pitches that are completely out of the strike zone. But I think that it'd be a huge mistake to just let him go

Mark reynolds has easily been the most fustrating player to watch this season. He has been stepping up as of late offensively and defensively, which has been great but he is going to have to do a lot more to justify picking up his 11M option.

Chris davis is definitely young and there's no reason to not keep him. When he's hot, he's on fire and the fact that he is a left handed bat who can play the corner infield and outfield positions is huge. He needs to learn to be more patient, take more pitches and stop striking out so much. It get's a little fustrating watching him swing at pitches that are completely out of the strike zone. I think that it'd be a huge mistake to just let him go

Mark reynolds has easily been the most fustrating player to watch this season. He has been stepping up as of late offensively and defensively, which has been great but he is going to have to do a lot more to justify picking up his 11M option.

Again, we don't have to pick up his option to keep him next year. We just have buy out the option for 500k and offer him arbitration to retain his rights.

Again, we don't have to pick upo his option to keep him next year. We just have buy out the option for 500k and offer him arbitration to retain his rights.

Ohhhh, that would be straight. I wouldn't mind him playing first next year unless we can get youk. He would be perfect for our line up and he's always killed at OPACY

Im concerned about Davis' low walk numbers and very high k rate. He also swings through alot of pitches. Im not sure what to make of him, but he'll get the rest of the season to find out. As a DH I suppose he's passable. I expected alot more this year from him though.

To be honest, I don't think much of Davis. He's had some serious hot streaks, but I think the league has figured him out. Since June 15, he's hit .187/.249/.302. The walk rate is actually not even atrocious -- it's not just discipline with Davis, there's just too much swing and miss in his game.

But Reynolds is that now and only 3 years older.... why commit to a guy who "might" get there when you could just stick with a guy who is already at that level.

...especially considering the point OFFNY brought up that Reynolds can actually play solid defense at 1B.

It's really no contest IMO

I couldn't disagree more. Chris Davis swing is a thing of beauty. It reminds me of josh Hamilton. He's streaky, but hasnt had as many extended chances at the big league level and maybe he's a late bloomer. I also think his "inept" reputation on defense is highly overrated. He's had some miscues, but I've seen him play by solid defense and show soft hands, definitely to e point he could improve and be as serviceable as Mark Reynolds....

And per my point about his swing, reynold's swing is anything but. When he isn't hitting he looks like a complete hack. Davis swing, if he improves his eye, ala Adam jones (who started too this year anyway), could make him a dominant force for the next decade.

Plus, he's a winner. Don't u all know his crab dominated everyone else's! ;)

But Reynolds is that now and only 3 years older.... why commit to a guy who "might" get there when you could just stick with a guy who is already at that level.

...especially considering the point OFFNY brought up that Reynolds can actually play solid defense at 1B.

It's really no contest IMO

I think Davis has a higher ceiling then Mark. And Marks batting like .220 something I believe.

Davis has gotten a lot of bang for his buck on his homers, as 10 of his 19 homers have come with runners on base, including three 3-run homers and a grand slam. Four of his homers came when the Orioles were behind and put them in the lead, two broke a tie and put them in the lead, and one tied the game.

If you look at his numbers, he is very close to his career slash line, and very close to his numbers from 2009, when he had almost exactly the same number of PA as he has right now:

2012: .253/.304/.437, 14 doubles, 19 homers, 59 RBI, 126 strikeouts in 387 PA

2009: .238/.284/.442, 15 doubles, 21 homers, 59 RBI, 150 strikeouts in 391 PA

Career: .252/.302/.445

I think there's a good chance that Davis "is what he is" at this point. I could see keeping him around for 2013 to see if he develops further. At 26, he compares slightly unfavorably to Jay Gibbons at the same age (career slash line of .259/.318/.469 in a similar number of PA), so I'm not holding my breath that there is a lot more there.

I find this thread amusing, because if Chris Davis goes on a torrid hot streak (which can happen in the blink of an eye) his slash line in two weeks could look like this: .268/.325/.450 with 24 homers .... then everyone will be saying this guy is a keeper, then two weeks later he stinks...I have rode the roller coaster with him all year long.

I would not be upset if we had Hoes in LF next year and Reimold and Davis as the DH. Reimold could spell Hoes in LF assuming he comes back, Betemit and Reynolds could be an effective platoon at 1B.

Archived