Chris Davis is a Keeper

brianod

Wasn't it said that Davis is the 3rd string catcher because he did some in college?

When Paulino was catching one day, Flaherty caught warm ups for one inning. Maybe, Davis is the 3rd C right now, but then again he's probably the backup everything at this point.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what Davis has accomplished this season...20 homers, diving catches in the outfield, a pitching victory, all with a torn labrum, and all while often filling in as the Orioles mascot between innings during home games. As a matter of fact, do you remember how he forgot to change back into his regular uniform but still made that leaping grab in one of those 15 inning thrillers. The guy is amazing.BaltimoreOriolesMascot-TheBird001.jpg

Since you apparently don't respect more advanced and better statistics, I will keep it simple.

Reynolds: .219/.332/.408 .740 OPS

Davis: .252/.304/.437 .741 OPS

One is "horrible", and one is "productive"?

20 hrs and 60 rbis vs 12 hrs and 42 rbis. They are both sluggers paid to hit homeruns and knock runs in. And, while batting average and rbis are "out of vogue" as important indicators, Reynolds 219 average is a prime reason why he has many less rbis than Davis.

20 hrs and 60 rbis vs 12 hrs and 42 rbis. They are both sluggers paid to hit homeruns and knock runs in. And, while batting average and rbis are "out of vogue" as important indicators, Reynolds 219 average is a prime reason why he has many less rbis than Davis.

But he does walk much more.

This is just ridiculous. You don't think the Rangers gave Chris Davis regular AB's after his rookie season? They did, He didn't peform and went back and forth to the minors. Every time he was given regular AB's in the minors and peformed, he was recalled and failed time and time again. Now this year again, he's gotten regular AB's, and you know what? He's showing us what the Rangers slowly found out. He's not very good. His OPS by month this year with regular AB's.

April - .922

May - .829

June - .659

July - .701

August -.534

As pitchers, who maybe hadn't faced Chris Davis ever. or in couple of years, found out as the season went along. Just don't throw this guy anything in the strike zone, expecially a fastball which he might run into accidentally. He can't hit anything offspeed. I've never seen a batter WAIVE at so many pitches. He can't catch up to high heat but swings at it anyway and chances anything offspeed low and out of the zone. HE'S NOT A GOOD HITTER. He's strong and he can hit it a long way but he's not a good hitter. If the O's go into next offseason counting on him as an everyday player at a key offensive position they are making a huge mistake. I'm not big on Reynolds either but is far and away a more productive hitter who has proven multiple times and as recently as 2011 that he can be productive. Reynolds at his worst and Davis at his best is about even.

As a footnote, Chris Davis 2012 season is almost an exact replica of his 2009 season, the year after his good HALF YEAR rookie season. It just goes to show that he hasn't grown ONE IOTA as a hitter since than and you shouldn't expect any going forward.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/29170/chris-davis

I'm sure Chris Davis got regular at bats as a 22 yr old rookie. Basing your argument, in large part, due to those statistics is ridiculous. You can't make a determination on the statistics of a 22 year old rookie. What guys like you don't get is that you have to know when to apply your advanced statistical methods, you can't use them on kids thrown into the breach. You can't even use them on this year. I would say this year is a development year for Davis. Give him the rest of this year and than next year and I think you will know what you have at that point. Reynolds, on the other hand, is in his sixth full year. It could be that the league and the deep scouting departments in the AL east have caught up to Reynolds. It could be that this year is a statistical anomoly and Reynolds will revert to form next year. For all our sake, I hope Reynolds gets hot. I fully realize he's capable of carrying a team for a few weeks. I just think Davis has a much higher upside. Davis is cheaper. Davis is more versatile. Davis is three years younger. Trying to compare Reynolds to Davis is a fools errand because Davis has 1500 less at bats then Reynolds.

But he does walk much more.

lol. Yes he does. But, Reynolds is no Tony Phillips. His 332 obp is probably below average for 1b. I don't even know how I got drawn into this. All I said is that Davis is a keeper and the Reynolds apologists come out of the woodwork. Actually, I'm rooting for both of them.

You can't make a determination on the statistics of a 22 year old rookie. What guys like you don't get is that you have to know when to apply your advanced statistical methods, you can't use them on kids thrown into the breach. You can't even use them on this year. I would say this year is a development year for Davis.

What you don't understand is that the reason Davis isn't an established player like Reynolds is that he had several chances to establish himself and failed. You keep harping on this "22 year old rookie" line, but not only did Davis play quite well as a rookie (.880 OPS,) but he lost the starting first base job in Texas after that. Twice. Before 2011.

What you don't understand is that the reason Davis isn't an established player like Reynolds is that he had several chances to establish himself and failed. You keep harping on this "22 year old rookie" line, but not only did Davis play quite well as a rookie (.880 OPS,) but he lost the starting first base job in Texas after that. Twice. Before 2011.

I'm simply saying that a guy with that much raw power, getting his first extended playing time in 3 years, showing this much success, should be give a full time spot in the lineup next year. Maybe he'll hit a ceiling where he gets 25 hrs, 80 rbis, strikes out a lot and doesn't get on base enough. But, maybe, he will improve given extended playing time. I'm simply saying he has earned the chance and we might just get a diamond in the rough. I don't think that's even controversial. But, maybe I'm missing something.

I'm simply saying that a guy with that much raw power, getting his first extended playing time in 3 years, showing this much success, should be give a full time spot in the lineup next year. Maybe he'll hit a ceiling where he gets 25 hrs, 80 rbis, strikes out a lot and doesn't get on base enough. But, maybe, he will improve given extended playing time. I'm simply saying he has earned the chance and we might just get a diamond in the rough. I don't think that's even controversial. But, maybe I'm missing something.

I don't think he's showing all that much success anymore. He put up a really good .300/.350/.500 type line through the middle of June, and under .200 since. I look at Davis and see a one-dimensional hitter that the league has figured out. I don't see any better options for us this season, but I don't think Davis has really earned another full season's worth of at-bats just because he's hit 20 bombs.

I don't think he's showing all that much success anymore. He put up a really good .300/.350/.500 type line through the middle of June, and under .200 since. I look at Davis and see a one-dimensional hitter that the league has figured out. I don't see any better options for us this season, but I don't think Davis has really earned another full season's worth of at-bats just because he's hit 20 bombs.

You could say the same thing about Jones. He has been bad for an extended time now. Baseball goes in cycles. Because Davis has had a bad streak late doesn't mean anything more than Jone's streak as of late. Davis should end up around 25-30 hrs with 80-90 rbis. That isn't something to discard or sit on the bench in the post steroid era.

This was the year where we figured out what Chris Davis is. And he's been sub-replacement. Maybe you go into 2013 with him, but you have to take advantage of upgrades if they're available.

He has 1500 MLB PAs and has zero plate discipline. As cool/interesting as his season has been that's zeroing out his value and is unlikely to get much better.

This was the year where we figured out what Chris Davis is. And he's been sub-replacement. Maybe you go into 2013 with him, but you have to take advantage of upgrades if they're available.

He has 1500 MLB PAs and has zero plate discipline. As cool/interesting as his season has been that's zeroing out his value and is unlikely to get much better.

Honestly, that's total crap. If you cut him, how many teams would claim him? I'm guessing every one of them. Sub replacement? Really?

Honestly, that's total crap. If you cut him, how many teams would claim him? I'm guessing every one of them. Sub replacement? Really?

He's been worth -0.5 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR. So, you could argue it either way. Personally, I'd say he is better than replacement. But, a .304 OBP from a guy who doesn't play the field very much or very well is not a good performance, despite the homers.

Reynolds is sub-replacement on both rWAR (-.8) and fWAR (-.1).

If Roberts is on the roster Quintanilla isn't. If Roberts isn't on the roster than Quintanilla is. You have the nine starters, with a bench of Reimold, Andino, Betemit, Teagarden and 12 pitchers.

Maybe not. His value won't be the same as it was last off-season, but perhaps this is the off-season they trade Andino. It would have to be a package deal, but I think somebody would want him.

Archived