Apparently, Jason Esposito threw a F-Bomb tantrum at a 16 year old girl.

Snutchy

Running with pure speculation here but what would the girl, who is a season ticket holder, who liked the poorly performing player enough to compete in an auction to win a jersey from said player - what would her motivations be to fabricate the story?

And what would Esposito's be to fabricate his version?

To me Esposito's are obvious.

Besides a crazy, bunny boiler theory - which may be a stretch to conceive - the girls aren't so clear. But I don't know homegirl.

It's not like this is a groupie trying to pin a kid on a player. It's a jersey for a currently disappointing player who like many other professional athletes may possess a certain arrogance that can push some players to greatness and others to wretched dbaggery.

Or he could be the nicest guy in the world caught on a bad day.

I tend to believe the story as written. But that's just my completely gut based opinion. It carries no substance whatsoever.

And at the end of the day Esposito's performance will be all that matters. I remember as a kid waiting with other kids what seemed like forever to get Eddie Murray's autograph because he was literally hitting on women in the stands and temporarily ignoring the kids. I remember the incident but all I cared about was getting the autograph and I used that glove everyday until I couldn't see the autograph anymore. Eddie will always be one of my favorite Orioles.

It's a bonus if the players are cool, but I think most fans only care about the end result at the end of the day.

I haven't read the Espo story because he doesn't interest me in the slightest but wondering if Ed-die hitting on women made you the "womanizer" you became? (totally running with spec) ;)

note to self - add BCT to list of "offbeat" posters

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the comments section, Esposito has tried to have a meeting with the family to patch things up, and the family has declined.

Obviously, I have no idea if that is true or not.

It sounds to me like things went down similarly to how the article says they did. But yeah, I'd certainly like to hear from Esposito and give his side of the account.

What is he going to say? I jsut had a bad day and he is sorry. Phooey. I really dont blame the family. If she were my daughter i would be very upset.

The one thing that is perfectly clear in this situation is that the Shorebirds are run in a first class manner. The way the general manager quickly took care of the situation from his end shows that he's running a first class operations. Kudos to the Shorebirds. The only question now will be how will the Orioles handle this situation? Will they sweep it under the rug or will they ensure their players act in an equally first class manner. Knowing John Stockstill, I'm expecting he will install the appropriate punishment once he has all the facts. I would be shocked of John swept this under the rug, especially with how it's getting this kind of press now.

Running with pure speculation here but what would the girl, who is a season ticket holder, who liked the poorly performing player enough to compete in an auction to win a jersey from said player - what would her motivations be to fabricate the story?

And what would Esposito's be to fabricate his version?

To me Esposito's are obvious.

Besides a crazy, bunny boiler theory - which may be a stretch to conceive - the girls aren't so clear. But I don't know homegirl.

It's not like this is a groupie trying to pin a kid on a player. It's a jersey for a currently disappointing player who like many other professional athletes may possess a certain arrogance that can push some players to greatness and others to wretched dbaggery.

Or he could be the nicest guy in the world caught on a bad day.

I tend to believe the story as written. But that's just my completely gut based opinion. It carries no substance whatsoever.

And at the end of the day Esposito's performance will be all that matters. I remember as a kid waiting with other kids what seemed like forever to get Eddie Murray's autograph because he was literally hitting on women in the stands and temporarily ignoring the kids. I remember the incident but all I cared about was getting the autograph and I used that glove everyday until I couldn't see the autograph anymore. Eddie will always be one of my favorite Orioles.

It's a bonus if the players are cool, but I think most fans only care about the end result at the end of the day.

Exactly. I understand people saying that they don't have the full story, but there is absolutely no motivation for the girl to lie about his situation. She wasn't trying to do anything but get the jersey she won from a ball player she use to admire.

Exactly. I understand people saying that they don't have the full story, but there is absolutely no motivation for the girl to lie about his situation. She wasn't trying to do anything but get the jersey she won from a ball player she use to admire.

There doesn't have to be premeditated motivation. Just to give a hypothetical situation. The 16-year-old goes over to get the jersey. He asks if he could buy it back from her. She gives him a major negative attitude, maybe even saying some nasty stuff herself. He says a few things back. Some of the stuff he says may not be appropriate for a ball player toward a fan and he may or may not have said a swear word. She goes back to her father relating the fact that the player treated her poorly and she may even stretch the story and said he was swearing at her even if he did not say it. If you don't think that people stretch the truth sometimes, then you don't read this board enough. She will most likely not say a thing about her negative involvement in the exchange to her father. As I mentioned, I am not saying this is what happened, but I am only giving a hypothetical example of what could have happened.

If you don't think this type of stuff happens like this, then you need to work in a high school. Anytime that things like this happen between two individuals in my class, I have to remain neutral until I do a little investigating to find out what really happened. Sometimes I may never find out what happened.

So my point is, this girl may be entirely truthful and if she is, then good for her. Actually, in a way, I am rooting for her. I like when people are truthful about things. If she is truthful, then Exposito needs to be punished. But so far there has only been one side of the story told, hers and her fathers.

I think the team has taken the correct approach. Good management always checks things out before making judgements, making public comments, and dealing out the consequences. This is the steps that they are taking.

1. You have to make things right with your fan base regardless of the guilty party in this case. They have tried to do that by giving her some additional items.

2. You have to investigate to find out if the girls story has merit, because sometimes people stretch the truth and there can sometimes be two sides to the story. That is what the team is currently doing.

3. Once you have done your investigating, then you hand out any punishment and then the team can make any public statements to address the situation. We will have to wait to see how the team handles this part.

There doesn't have to be premeditated motivation. Just to give a hypothetical situation. The 16-year-old goes over to get the jersey. He asks if he could buy it back from her. She gives him a major negative attitude, maybe even saying some nasty stuff herself. He says a few things back. Some of the stuff he says may not be appropriate for a ball player toward a fan and he may or may not have said a swear word. She goes back to her father relating the fact that the player treated her poorly and she may even stretch the story and said he was swearing at her even if he did not say it. If you don't think that people stretch the truth sometimes, then you don't read this board enough. She will most likely not say a thing about her negative involvement in the exchange to her father. As I mentioned, I am not saying this is what happened, but I am only giving a hypothetical example of what could have happened.

If you don't think this type of stuff happens like this, then you need to work in a high school. Anytime that things like this happen between two individuals in my class, I have to remain neutral until I do a little investigating to find out what really happened. Sometimes I may never find out what happened.

So my point is, this girl may be entirely truthful and if she is, then good for her. Actually, in a way, I am rooting for her. I like when people are truthful about things. If she is truthful, then Exposito needs to be punished. But so far there has only been one side of the story told, hers and her fathers.

I think the team has taken the correct approach. Good management always checks things out before making judgements, making public comments, and dealing out the consequences. This is the steps that they are taking.

1. You have to make things right with your fan base regardless of the guilty party in this case. They have tried to do that by giving her some additional items.

2. You have to investigate to find out if the girls story has merit, because sometimes people stretch the truth and there can sometimes be two sides to the story. That is what the team is currently doing.

3. Once you have done your investigating, then you hand out any punishment and then the team can make any public statements to address the situation. We will have to wait to see how the team handles this part.

I don't need to have worked in a high school for me to know this stuff. I have three kids, the youngest of which is 16 so I'm well aware of teenagers and their actions. I investigate things for a living and one of the first things you are taught is to look for motivation. What in the world would a self-proclaimed major Shorebirds fan have to gain by making this situation up? Why would she "give some attitude" to a player she wanted the jersey of? Why would she make up a story that sounded real enough that her father wanted answers? Do you think that father is that easily corrupted? Again, I understand about getting both sides of the story, but it appears a lot of people know this young lady and few are doubting her account. Like others have stated, if this was a fabrication or lies, I'm sure Esposito and the Orioles would be the first people to have their side of the story out there.

At the end of the day, a 22-year old young man most likely made a judgement error in how he handled a situation. I'm pretty certain 98% of us could have said the same thing about ourselves around the same age at some point. To make this go away, Esposito needs to mea culpa. Now apparently he tried to reach out, that's a good thing if he truly knows he made a mistake then he should certainly do so again, perhaps in the company of his manager and Shorebirds General manager. I'm sure this can be settled to everyone's satisfaction and everyone can move on as long as the apology is sincere and heartfelt.

If Esposito is a high character guy that some have stated and this is truly out of character, then I don't see a long term issue. People make mistakes and 22-year olds tend to make more than their share.

Hell, I'm not even condemning Esposito for his actions. If he made a mistake, have him apologize, give a proper punishment, and hopefully he and others in the organization learn from this mistake.

This still makes almost no sense. Can give some kind of example?

My guess is this Alpha Beta talk is the current generation's way of saying the boy is whipped.

If this season is any indication then the OH won't be worrying about Esposito's attitude past next season. Extremely disappointing to have a college player struggle to this degree in the Sal league.

This still makes almost no sense. Can give some kind of example?

CoC has it. I was just saying he seems to be whipped. People act differently when they are in this kind of relationship. The article stated he wanted the jersey/shirt for his girlfriend. I am assuming when he realized he couldn’t get it to appease his girlfriend, he had a bit of temper tantrum and unfortunately, this 16 year old girl was the end of it.

Why would she "give some attitude" to a player she wanted the jersey of? Why would she make up a story that sounded real enough that her father wanted answers? Do you think that father is that easily corrupted? Again, I understand about getting both sides of the story, but it appears a lot of people know this young lady and few are doubting her account.

To answer the first question. Why did she give attitude? Once again let me explain by hypothetical. She initially has no attitude as she approaches the player. The player wants to keep the jersey, so he offers her money. This is not a very professional thing for the player. She says, "but I paid for it." He says, "but I don't want to give it to you." This exchange could go back and forth a couple times until she is now agitated with the player. After all, she just came over to get the jersey she paid for. She now says a couple nasty things out of frustration to the player. The player says some nasty things back. Both the player and the girl could both be at fault although the player initiated the situation by wanting to keep the jersey. Now, she is very upset because the player has treated her badly. But, she may not have treated the player well either. She then goes to report this incident to her father. Human nature says that she is going to emphasize all the things he said and maybe even exaggerate what he said, but minimize the things that she may have been guilty of saying. I have had many emails from parents that reported things that their child has reported to them and what was reported to the parent was many times one sided and exaggerated. There is your possible motive and possible attitude.

Why would she make it up? She may not have made it up. She may have exaggerated what was said. She may have left out the parts that she said.

"Do you think that father is that easily corrupted?" No. But parents are often blinded because they want the best and think the best of their child. That can be part of being a parent. When his daughter reports something to him, his nature is to want to right away come to her defense. This nature can many times cloud the judgement of a parent.

"Again, I understand about getting both sides of the story, but it appears a lot of people know this young lady and few are doubting her account." You say that you investigate things for a living and you do, but the articles mentions no friends or anyone that knows this girl except her father. Maybe you know some inside things that the rest of us don't know, but at this point all we have are the articles.

By the way, for the most part, I am playing the Devil's advocate with this story because it is a little fun and also because so many people read a story without giving much thought to the background of the story. Many people have given some excellent points, but I like to wait until all the facts are in before I make any final conclusions. This story is very one sided at this point and doesn't show much evidence to back it up except the girl's story. At this point, I want to believe this girl and I would lean toward believing that most if not all of the fault may lie with the player. Even if she herself may have said some nasty things that did not help the situation, he is still a "professional" and must act that way. Asking if he could keep the jersey is also unprofessional, but his judgement could have been clouded by a report that his girlfriend had been in a minor accident before the game and it is his girlfriend. Many guys have acted stupid because of a girlfriend.

Here is also a response from the mother. It is still one sided and reflects her frustration with some of the comments left with the other article. She has spoken well, but it still only reflects one side.

http://www.lowereasternshorenews.com/2012/08/mother-of-teen-blasted-by-shorebirds.html

16-year old girls (and 16-year old boys, for that matter) aren't always truthful in their accounts of things. Nor do their motivations for doing things always make sense. I could absolutely see the girl taking some minor slight from Esposito and making it out to be more than it was. And I can absolutely see a father assuming the best from his daughter and believing her account 100%. That is why I would like to hear from Esposito his account of how things went down.

HAVING SAID THAT, I think that the story most likely happened as described, and it is dissappointing even from someone who, at this point, is not really a prospect. But I've just learned to always hear the other side before making a judgment on someone's character.

By the way, I talked to someone in the organization last night and Esposito is denying that he cursed at the girl. Since there was apparently only two people there at the exchange, him and her, it's a he said-she said thing and apparently he's sticking to his story that he did not curse the girl. The Orioles are going to talk to him further though.

By the way, I talked to someone in the organization last night and Esposito is denying that he cursed at the girl. Since there was apparently only two people there at the exchange, him and her, it's a he said-she said thing and apparently he's sticking to his story that he did not curse the girl. The Orioles are going to talk to him further though.

Perhaps Roy can interview him so we get the facts....

The one thing that is perfectly clear in this situation is that the Shorebirds are run in a first class manner. The way the general manager quickly took care of the situation from his end shows that he's running a first class operations. Kudos to the Shorebirds..

Exactly what I was going to post after reading through this thread. Nice to see the GM took a proactive approach to making the "customer" happy.

Archived