Apparently, Jason Esposito threw a F-Bomb tantrum at a 16 year old girl.

Snutchy

I do not know about other organizations, but IMO the Os should be giving each player as many as three complimentary jerseys - one framed for himself, one for family and a third for girlfriend/other family. Even as many as 400 jerseys can't have a cost over $30,000 to the organization. IMO, each prospect should also get a ball signed by the one of the guys with a statue outside of Camden Yards.

I thought I remember Flanny working on getting signed draft picks a nice watch, but that was a few years ago.

This is an area where a few $ would probably go a long way in terms of setting a positive tone and appearing like a classy organization.

The alleged behavior would be inexcusable and Esposito makes for an easy target (on this board, not by the girl) because of the organization's investment and his poor season, but I am surprised to hear so many folks jump to conclusions without the entire story.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if the O's treat their minor leaguers with more respect, the players are more likely to be happy people and treat the fans with more respect - and be ambassadors for the team. And a happy player who feels valued by the organization is much more likely to be productive. Nobody's excusing what Esposito allegedly did, but if the organization treated these kids better, an incident like that probably wouldn't have happened.

I do not know about other organizations, but IMO the Os should be giving each player as many as three complimentary jerseys - one framed for himself, one for family and a third for girlfriend/other family. Even as many as 400 jerseys can't have a cost over $30,000 to the organization. IMO, each prospect should also get a ball signed by the one of the guys with a statue outside of Camden Yards.

I thought I remember Flanny working on getting signed draft picks a nice watch, but that was a few years ago.

This is an area where a few $ would probably go a long way in terms of setting a positive tone and appearing like a classy organization.

The alleged behavior would be inexcusable and Esposito makes for an easy target (on this board, not by the girl) because of the organization's investment and his poor season, but I am surprised to hear so many folks jump to conclusions without the entire story.

While I agree that would be a nice thing to do and isn't much in the grand scheme of a $150-200M organization, it ain't happening. The team won't even plunk down that $30k to get the team good pre-game meals, or to help out with housing, or something simple that actually helps the performance of their players, much less for a goodwill gesture. The entire Shorebirds team payroll is probably on the order of $150k/year, so they're not going to spend $30k on framed jerseys.

I am pretty sure just about any 21 year old boy who has never gotten the opportunity to play professional baseball would probably trade positions with these poor neglected minor league players in a minute. Look, my kid is in the middle of it. It is not an easy life, but it is the life he has chosen. I don't think working his butt off for little money and no perks will hurt him. In fact, it helps them keep things in perspective. The odds of these guys making their dreams come true are slim, but they get the opportunity to try to do something most people don't. And quite of few of them got pretty nice signing bonuses and can afford to pay for a jersey. The jersey will mean more to his girlfriend if he actually has to pay for it. As a mom of a player, most of the time I want you guys to cut these players more slack. Not so much in this instance.

I am pretty sure just about any 21 year old boy who has never gotten the opportunity to play professional baseball would probably trade positions with these poor neglected minor league players in a minute. Look, my kid is in the middle of it. It is not an easy life, but it is the life he has chosen. I don't think working his butt off for little money and no perks will hurt him. In fact, it helps them keep things in perspective. The odds of these guys making their dreams come true are slim, but they get the opportunity to try to do something most people don't. And quite of few of them got pretty nice signing bonuses and can afford to pay for a jersey. The jersey will mean more to his girlfriend if he actually has to pay for it. As a mom of a player, most of the time I want you guys to cut these players more slack. Not so much in this instance.

What's the perspective you speak of - that they didn't finish college, aren't making enough to live on, and if they don't succeed at baseball (which is likely the case) - they have a very uncertain future when they enter the real world in their mid 20's?

I used to work with Dave Johnson (former O's pitcher and father of Steve) when he was a struggling salesman for a heating oil company. I was one of the few people in the company who ever heard of him... and he was an ex major leaguer with the state's team! He only got the sports media gig after proving he had the gift of gab many years later. Once you're in the real world, being an ex minor league baseball player doesn't exactly impress most people and doesn't guarantee you a future. I think the kids start realizing this once they've been around for a year or so - seeing the older guys hanging on. Not saying the kids shouldn't chase their dreams, but their lives in actuality aren't that great, and it wouldn't hurt teams to actually care about them - make their lives better and develop them better - so everyone wins.

The difference here is motivation. The classmate had motivation to exaggerate the issue, a 16-year old self-proclaimed super Shorebird fan doesn't have any motivation to make Esposito look bad. Unless of course she looked up his batting average this year and felt wronged. ;)

She's a 16-year old girl. Rationality is not always a strong point at that age (for boys as well, like I said before. Don't want to be sexist here :))

I think this story is slowly coming into a bit more focus. Girl probably has a crush on Esposito. Esposito wanted to save the jersey for his GF who was planning on buying it but ended up not being able to make it. Esposito wants to get the jersey back, and snaps at the girl when she balks at giving it back.

It certainly sounds like, at a minimum, he reacted very poorly. I mean, in the end, it's just a jersey. I get that he wanted one for his GF, especially since he might be getting another shot at many more if doesn't pick up his game some. :)

But on the other hand, I could absolutely see him totally blowing this girl off, her being heartbroken, and exaggerating the story. Happens all the time.

J

What's the perspective you speak of - that they didn't finish college, aren't making enough to live on, and if they don't succeed at baseball (which is likely the case) - they have a very uncertain future when they enter the real world in their mid 20's?

I used to work with Dave Johnson (former O's pitcher and father of Steve) when he was a struggling salesman for a heating oil company. I was one of the few people in the company who ever heard of him... and he was an ex major leaguer with the state's team! He only got the sports media gig after proving he had the gift of gab many years later. Once you're in the real world, being an ex minor league baseball player doesn't exactly impress most people and doesn't guarantee you a future. I think the kids start realizing this once they've been around for a year or so - seeing the older guys hanging on. Not saying the kids shouldn't chase their dreams, but their lives in actuality aren't that great, and it wouldn't hurt teams to actually care about them - make their lives better and develop them better - so everyone wins.

ust about every player that signs has college paid for in their contract. I know my son does. And he also takes classes and works in the off season preparing himself for what the odds say will happen, he will be working in the real world. If they aren't prepared for the future, that is more on them than on the Orioles. I don't know about you, but I worked hard and made no money when I was 21 years old. I tried to juggle school, work and fun doing a job I hated. I have never once heard my son complain about one part of minor league life. He is doing exactly what he wants to do. Maybe he is the exception. I bet if you asked any player that was recently cut, they would not trade the experiences they had, the people they met and the lessons they learned in the minors for anything. I don't want my kid learning or getting anything the easy way. Come on, these guys are playing a game for a living. And I really have no complaints with how the O's treat the players. There is a lot going on with development, etc. that you guys don't see. There have been some good changes in the past year.

Everything is perspective. Most of my son's friends are going to JC and waiting tables or working at grocery stores making no money. Every one of them would change spots with him for no salary. Every week I tell him how lucky he is to have his life. That is truly how I feel about it. I guess we just see things differently.

Thanks for this and your other posts in this thread. I always like getting some insight from people who have an inside perspective. Your attitude about your son's opportunity is right on, in my opinion. I have a 19-year old college-age son, and I guarantee he would have loved an opportunity to play minor league baseball and pursue his dream. (No, he is not anywhere close to good enough, and he has moved on to other sports now.)

There's a lot of BS that goes on at minor league games.

Both articles about this story on Esposito sound like total bullsht.

Do you think Esposito will begin at Delmarva next season? Also, do you think he will bat 3rd in lineup instead of 7th?

Where will Delmonico be next year?

Archived